aberdeen-music

Hendrix

bitchesbrew

fender strats (usually 70's withteh big headstock) - right handed ones reversed and restrung

vox wah

dallas arbiter fuss face

univibe

mayer octavia

marshall superleads

i think thats usually what he used, he did play about with other amps, but usually with the marshalls, and same goes for guitars, as he did use gibsons sometimes

for looking to recreate his sounds, for bedroom playing the digitech hendrix looks decent, with a load of hendrixey sounds, for a more 'pro' setup, the foxrox captain coconut is a great pedal, with the main effects in one box (vibe/fuzz/octave) add that to a strat and marshall and away you go (with the possible niclusion of a wah pedal too)

David

I'd advise against buying a muti-effects pedal. Never heard one (ranging from cheap to expensive) that I thought was worth the money. I think buying individual pedals is a better way to go because they're specifically designed for one thing and don't have to compromise the technology to increase the range of sounds whilst keeing the price down (which I'm sure is the problem with a lot of multi-effects units).

In any case, Hedrix only used the fuzz face because you couldn't get a lot of gain with the old Marshalls. You're far better off buying a good modern Marshall (TSL is my favourite) and not trying to sound exactly like Hendrix because the best thing you'll ever get is people comparing you to Hendrix (which let's face it, is a lot to live up to). I believe the Vox Wah is good though, never used one but I've heard it rivals the Cry Baby (which I swear by).

Jimi played "transition" era early CBS strats. The early ones still have the small headstock outline. The later ones have the large ones. Neither suffer from any of the fundamental changes (3 bolt neck, random contour carving, poor quality control) that afflict the 70s strats. They came later.