aberdeen-music

Ska Sunday! (afternoon show): Sonic Boom Six, Schpleen, Misled Youth etc

kirkt

I can't say I heard anything remotely grunge in the bands yesterday. Ok' date=' Misled Youth weren't really ska. They play melodic hardcore punk and have ska breakdowns in their songs. The Upstarts aren't ska in the traditional sense of the word but definitly ska punk. Like Against All Authority, Mu330. One Man Race I felt were very 2 tone influenced, just a lot faster and harder. And Sonic Boom Six, definitly take the blueprints of ska/two-tone (listen to how Monkey See, Monkey Do is sampled from Jamaican classic "Funky Kingston") but mix it up with hardcore, drum 'n'bass and hip-hop to create a fresh new sound. Anyway, the good news is, there will be another ska sunday, expect a couple of 2-Tone style ska bands next time .There will be at least one band from Do the Dog Records, have a listen to some of them on [url']www.dothedog.com , I'm sure Pama International, The Splitters and Smoke Like a Fish will appeal to ska fans, old and new.

Well you've answered my question in your first two lines. Misled youth aren't really ska and the upstarts are not ska either. As i said in an earlier post ska influences yes but classing your self as a ska band, I think not. Paul Weller while in the Jam ripped off Motown riffs loads of times but they didn't class themselves as a soul band. If anyone who knows about music had walked in off the street yeasterday and were asked what kind of music the bands were playing I bet not one person would have said ska.Yes monkey see monkey was probably the only song that came close to ska but they also said here's our new song it's hip hop so are they now a ska hip hop band. i'll go and listen to your link above.

Soulboy

I thought the new SB6 stuff is awesome-o. The hip-hop song was mint. If you wanted proper real ska souldboy, maybe you should've checked out the bands first and not been so disappointed.

Barney, I shall send you those links from my computer at home with a couple from yesterday too. I'm about to get chucked out of this computer room. Bloody stinky students have a scheduled class.

I don't class us as ska at all. But if I was into ska to the amount that you are I'd think I could see the elements of the ska sound within the bands enough to understand that has how the music has developed over time and continues to...

In fact I dunno if you noticed but one of our new tunes was based on a sample of 'the Selecter' which was the b-side to Gangsters' date=' the first single on 2-tone.

Anyway, I do understand how guys like you that want to see a more traditional sound aren't that into the newer blends.

Can I suggest Zen Baseballbat and the Scrub and Catch It Kababs as bands that take a more forward 2-tone sound and update it accordingly that you might get a little more pleasure from? As well as the bands Captain Kirk suggested.[/quote']

yeah like I said I could hear ska influences in SOME of the songs but when i read the poster and it said ska sunday i thought i was going to hear ska bands. Or am I missing the point?

Soulboy

I thought the new SB6 stuff is awesome-o. The hip-hop song was mint. If you wanted proper real ska souldboy' date=' maybe you should've checked out the bands first and not been so disappointed.

Barney, I shall send you those links from my computer at home with a couple from yesterday too. I'm about to get chucked out of this computer room. Bloody stinky students have a scheduled class.[/quote']

Yeah maybe I should've checked out the bands first but the poster said ska Sunday so what else was I going to expect. I run the soul nights in Aberdeen so if you saw one of my posters that said Northern soul and modern soul what would you expect to hear. As I said I enjoyed most of it but why class it as a ska day when there were no ska bands playing.

Soulboy

yeah like I said I could hear ska influences in SOME of the songs but when i read the poster and it said ska sunday i thought i was going to hear ska bands. Or am I missing the point?

Soulboy

No, I don't think you are missing the point, its fair enough in many ways.

But to be honest, you can't please everyone and if the heading of the day mislead anyone I'm sure it wasn't intentional. And maybe with your feedback Kirk might think twice about calling a night 'ska' again and call it 'ska-core' instead unless its the more revivalist music you seem to be after. I had a great time anyway and it was cool to see a nice crowd.

I reckon you would love Zen Baseballbat.

Yeah, dude that didn't like the new stuff, fair enough, all good! As long as people don't start calling us names I think its all well and good!

And thanks to the people that did like it. The hip-hop ska!

Soulboy

I understand what your saying but what is ska and what isn't is a thin line. For example, say the Skatalites and The Selecter have as much in common with each other as a band like Less than Jake does with say Bad Manners. They all sound different and what is ska to a lot of todays audiences is different to that of ska audiences of the early 80s. The sound has progressed. I'm sorry if you were disapointed with any of it but do come back for the next Ska sunday as I guarantee you more 2-Tone sounding bands mixed in with more modern sounding ska punk bands.

ack wheeshed soulboy!!!!! look it was a deesc gig and that is that ...nuff said!

Show me where I said it wasn't a good gig. Surely if your going to call your gig a ska gig then you should have some bands actually playing ska is that too much to ask for. I don't advertise my nights as soul and then play everything under the sun except soul. if you think any of those bands were ska then you don't have a clue So if anybody should wheeshed it's you :swearing:

I run the soul nights in Aberdeen so if you saw one of my posters that said Northern soul and modern soul what would you expect to hear.

I'm sure if you put on an advertised soul night, and played soul-influenced music, mixed with other styles, noone would complain. If anything, it's appreciated for adding a diversity to the music, and not confining it to too strict sounds (obviously not taking this over the top though). Yeah, if you advertised 'northern soul' then it has to be in that category, but doesn't ska include ska-punk? To me ska is a pretty wide genre.

If someone told me they were into ska music, needless of what i believe ska to be, i'll generally assume they just mean less than jake, reel big fish etc. I think that maybe the general idea of ska has changed a lot to what it used to be (or you believe), even though it's technically wrong. I could be wrong on this, but it's what i seem to think.

I do understand what you mean though, it just seems to me it's a bit picky.

As for the day, really enjoyed all the bands. :D Upstarts great as always. One man race were actually really good, and i'll definately try and see them next time they are in aberdeen. Dissapointed with Misled Youth, good to see but didn't really think they were anything special. Sonic Boom 6 were fuckin' ace, loved the hip-hop in it. Bought their album too. Singer's so damn hot ;)

Thanks kirk for putting on an ace day :up:

I'll be lookin' forward to the next one :)

It was called ska sunday

every band playing is influenced from ska and if you can't see that there is something wrong with you.

Like scotchief said it was a good gig and if you enjoyed it so much why are you compalining?

Thats what I love about forums people don't read posts properly. If you go back and look I think you'll find I mentioned ska influences quite a few times. That doesn't make them a ska band though. I await your apology. Also What does compailning mean.

Yes yet you were complaining because apparently the bands called themseves "Ska" which they clearly didn't.
Then why call it ska sunday if none of the bands were ska thats what i've been trying to point out from the start why not call it scottish country dancing sunday or irish folk music sunday if thats the case. still waiting for apology

Show me where I said it wasn't a good gig. Surely if your going to call your gig a ska gig then you should have some bands actually playing ska is that too much to ask for. I don't advertise my nights as soul and then play everything under the sun except soul. if you think any of those bands were ska then you don't have a clue So if anybody should wheeshed it's you :swearing:

have you failed to realise that ska has somewhat progressed since the days of madness and the specials? and i don't have a clue...whatever!!!!! look take capdown that isn't your everyday two-tone ska is it but yet they are still classed as ska? am i right? i think so ...so sssshhhhhhh