aberdeen-music

A guitar problem

Hog

Guest DustyDeviada

Cool top. Is it a Schecter or something?

Anyway, easy to fix as outlined in that article. Play an open string then play a harmonic at the 12th fret. If it is flat, you need to move it towards the neck, opposite for sharp.

See how you get on, any problems I'll do it for you.

Cool top. Is it a Schecter or something?

Anyway' date=' easy to fix as outlined in that article. Play an open string then play a harmonic at the 12th fret. If it is flat, you need to move it towards the neck, opposite for sharp.

See how you get on, any problems I'll do it for you.[/quote']

Cool, thanks Dusty, I will give that a try.

PS, it is a Shine guitar. :rockon:

Guest Gregor Ascension

the lenght between the the string should be halfed at the 12th fret, you need to move the bit were the string sits at the bridge until a harmonic at the 12th fret sounds exactly yhe same as the open string lower ocatave.

Doesn't the truss rod help sort the intonation as well? My guitars have never really gotten so bad' date=' and I've never took the time to learn what I'm really doing with bridge saddles etc... often a new pair of strings will sort out the problem for me anyway....[/quote']

The truss rod will affect the intonation but if your action is OK, which is what the truss rod is for really, it shouldn't be a major factor. Learn about saddle bridges though, your ears (and everyone elses) will love you.

how do you ajust intonation on a guitar fitted with a floyd-rose. I looks like it can only be moved in big steps.

on my guitar at least (a bc rich with licensed floyd) the intonation is adjusted by loosening the bolt holding the saddle in place (under the string on front of the saddle) and moving it

Doesn't the truss rod help sort the intonation as well? My guitars have never really gotten so bad' date=' and I've never took the time to learn what I'm really doing with bridge saddles etc... often a new pair of strings will sort out the problem for me anyway....[/quote']

the truss rod will inadvertantly affect the intonation, but you cant set it using the truss rod

the truss rod is for setting the curve of the neck (and therefore the action) by adding/removing tension in the neck against the strings - if you change the curve of the neck you will slightly change the string length affecting the intonation

to set intonation properly, you need to move the bridge saddles forwards/backwards slightly, make sure the open string is in tune, then check how in tune the 12th fret and 12th fret harmonic are, then you can move the saddle back/forth to make sure they are all in tune

not all guitars let you set the intonation, fender style bridges do, as do gibson tuneomatic style ones, but some like the prs wraparound ones wont let you change individual saddles, only the whole bridge

if you want to learn more about setting up a guitar, there is an excellent book by dan erlwhine called how to make your electric guitar play great amazon link here which takes you through evrythign you should need to know about setting up a guitar

there will be websites about it too, but i cant remember any good ones off the top of my head

David