irony-fatigue

Stripey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman
but you reminded me today of Theatre of Death

Do you mean Theatre of Blood? That's a quality flick. I also recommend The Abominable Dr Phibes and the sequel, hilarious. Vincent Price is the biz.

Guest bluesxman
Is that a sequel? I'm sure the two aren't linked... Phibes plays the organ and has numerous Phd's.... whereas Lionheart is simply an ill reviewed actor.

Have you seen 'Dr Phibes strikes again'? He takes his clockwork band on a boat and heads to egypt.

9 eternitys in doom.

No no, read it again, I meant the sequel to the original Phibes film :D is it strikes again? I thought it was rises again or something...it's good anyway...

Guest DustyDeviada
what wonderful modern productions do you recommend then?

For the record I don't have any particular axe to grind on this subject - I enjoyed the Starsky & Hutch film but admit that the Dukes of Hazzard film does look gash. The presence of the great Willie Nelson however means I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

That said, this is unquestionably a golden age for television. In no particular order:

Alias

Deadwood

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Entourage

Lost

The Shield

CSI

Six Feet Under

Oz

Desperate Housewives

The Sopranos

All amazingly brilliant shows. All made in the US admittedly, and I'll admit that there's nothing in the UK that comes close (maybe Extras), but in all honesty all of these really make the likes of Knight Rider look really crap nowadays.

As someone who was there first time round (with plenty to spare...) I do get a bit queasy about all this stuff being revamped and churned out, purely because it makes me feel bloody ancient. And anyone who remembers Starsky and Hutch the first time round will say that the movie was crap and an insult to the glorious David Soul. And Dukes of Hazzard - how can that dozy bimbo ever hope to emulate the wondrous being that was the real Daisy Duke? And now I hear there are plans afoot to recreate Wonder Woman. If someone appropriately goddess-like being such as Angelina Jolie were to take over Lynda Carter's mantle I could cope, but if they appoint some scrawny little anorexic teen queen I will eat my stars and stripes shorts.

Guest DustyDeviada

I'm assuming you have seen The Shield, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage before writing them off. If not, give them a go, best three shows around at the moment IMO.

I agree about Partridge but was trying to limit the list to shows still in production/still showing.

Not a golden age for cinema at the moment but still a few gems if you look, saw Crash the other day and it was ace.

Guest tv tanned
For the record I don't have any particular axe to grind on this subject - I enjoyed the Starsky & Hutch film but admit that the Dukes of Hazzard film does look gash. The presence of the great Willie Nelson however means I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

That said' date=' this is unquestionably a golden age for television. In no particular order:

Alias

Deadwood

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Entourage

Lost

The Shield

CSI

Six Feet Under

Oz

Desperate Housewives

The Sopranos

All amazingly brilliant shows. All made in the US admittedly, and I'll admit that there's nothing in the UK that comes close (maybe Extras), but in all honesty all of these really make the likes of Knight Rider look really crap nowadays.[/quote']

You have missed Without A Trace from your list.

As I don't get Channel 5 I have not seen The Shield yet.

Guest DustyDeviada

Haven't seen without a trace myself - there's so much good TV around it's impossible to watch it all.

They are on to season 4 of The Shield on 5 now, worth getting hold of the DVDs though, it really is superb.

Guest DustyDeviada

Nah, I think it's relatively low budget, some big stars but I reckon they're doing it for kudos/Oscar cred than cash.

It's got an ensemble cast with interweaving plot strands in an Altman stylee.

The nostalgia bubble has well and truly burst but they'll go on and on trying to make more money out of old stuff for a long time yet. What's frustrating is that old stuff that was good either gets ignored or misrepresented. Like old Dr Who always had wobbly sets (it didn't) The Sweeney always said "get your trousers on your nicked " (only said once in the pilot, sorry for being an anorak) overlooking the fact that without irony, The Sweeney was excellent and more than just a kick-em-in-the-teeth show, and 70s gems like Play for Today and The Signalman get forgotten.

I fully expect ELO to get an ironic revival soon. How the fuck Abba got one is beyond me. Everyone thought they were shit even at the time. Like your parents forming a band. Every song sung like they were singing a child happy birthday.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Now' date=' what we are trying to distinguish here is, do you [i']actually like a silly film about a silly red brick road and ginger bird? Or is it one of those things where, at a party when this film comes up in convo you shout, somewhat at the top of your whiny little voice 'I loooovvvvvveeeee that filllmmmmm,' basking in the attention you feel your peers grant you at apparently taking pleasure in a film that we all know is largely unwatchable by anyone who doesn't like crappy, boring, old fashioned films.

There's no comeback to that one. Game, set and match. The best post I've read here in a long time.

Congratulations on totally missing the point over and over again guys. This issue transcends the importance of wether a girl in some old film had ginger hair or blonde hair.

IT'S NOT ABOUT TV, IT'S NOT ABOUT MOVIES, IT'S NOT ABOUT SOME CRAP T-SHIRT.

You ask me to say what is so great about the present, or so great about the future, when really the fact that you feel the need to ask that question betrays your total cultural impotence, your inability to take a non-passive role in society, your blandness and your emptyness, your innate consumerist attitudes, and ultimately your unwillingness to accept the full responsibility of what it means to be a living human being.

Congratulations on totally missing the point over and over again guys. This issue transcends the importance of wether a girl in some old film had ginger hair or blonde hair.

IT'S NOT ABOUT TV' date=' IT'S NOT ABOUT MOVIES, IT'S NOT ABOUT SOME CRAP T-SHIRT.

You ask me to say what is so great about the present, or so great about the future, when really the fact that you feel the need to ask that question betrays your total cultural impotence, your inability to take a non-passive role in society, your blandness and your emptyness, your innate consumerist attitudes, and ultimately your unwillingness to accept the full responsibility of what it means to be a living human being.[/quote']

Erm....dude, I think you're broke.

Guest bluesxman

IT'S NOT ABOUT TV' date=' IT'S NOT ABOUT MOVIES, IT'S NOT ABOUT SOME CRAP T-SHIRT.

You ask me to say what is so great about the present, or so great about the future, when really the fact that you feel the need to ask that question betrays your total cultural impotence, your inability to take a non-passive role in society, your blandness and your emptyness, your innate consumerist attitudes, and ultimately your unwillingness to accept the full responsibility of what it means to be a living human being.[/quote']

Are you Tyler Durden???

How the fuck Abba got one is beyond me. Everyone thought they were shit even at the time. Like your parents forming a band. Every song sung like they were singing a child happy birthday.

i love ABBA without any irony at all

fucking geniuses

they are as essential to the history of pop music as the Sex Pistols and just as unique

being called ''marillionboy'' suggests to me you only like very pretentious and serious intellectual hippy rock bollocks with lots of widdly musicianship and no actual songs

Yeah yeah the usual handed down opinion of Marillion. Yawn yawn. One day it'll be ironic to like them and people will suddenly claim they do.

They might be the worst or best band in the world, but I wasn't trying to advocate them to anyone. At least at the moment they're irony free now. You might love Abba but Kate Thornton going on about them on list shows on tv is totally bandwaggoning.

You ask me to say what is so great about the present' date=' or so great about the future, when really the fact that you feel the need to ask that question betrays your total cultural impotence, your inability to take a non-passive role in society, your blandness and your emptyness, your innate consumerist attitudes, and ultimately your unwillingness to accept the full responsibility of what it means to be a living human being.[/quote']

Lame.

morris.jpg

That's a beast of a post girdlock! before today, i was not aware that liking things from the past represented my unwillingness to accept the full responsibility of what it means to be a living human being, but now I do. I'm glad you've posted because now i no longer like any of those things which i thought i liked and because of this, i'm a more complete person.

the internet really works!

/x