aberdeen-music

Sex and cancer?

Intravenous

hmm not ovarian cancer im sure but cervical cancer or CIN yes. it's because sex exposes you to certain different sexually transmitted factors (ie viruses) which are carcinogens and encourage cancer to develop in later years. i'm sure we were taught that CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia - a sort of precancer/cancer type thing) is unheard of in the nun population, as they have never had sex and are thus not expose to the cancer-causing sexually transmitted viruses. conversely CIN is more frequent in those who started having sex earlier and thus have probably had more sexual partners and a greater risk of transmission.

I don't know under what conditions she was meaning, but I think she was suggesting that even with condoms it increases the risks and it's because the cervix/ovaries don't stop developing until the woman is 20ish. I don't know enough about it to comment really :p , I just thought other people might find it interesting...apparently they don't.

I don't know under what conditions she was meaning' date=' but I think she was suggesting that even with condoms it increases the risks and it's because the cervix/ovaries don't stop developing until the woman is 20ish. I don't know enough about it to comment really :p , I just thought other people might find it interesting...apparently they don't.[/quote']

AKA "I'm no gynacologist, but I'll have a damned good look for you..." (boom tish...cue the Chubby brown lines...)

hmm not ovarian cancer im sure but cervical cancer or CIN yes. it's because sex exposes you to certain different sexually transmitted factors (ie viruses) which are carcinogens and encourage cancer to develop in later years. i'm sure we were taught that CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia - a sort of precancer/cancer type thing) is unheard of in the nun population' date=' as they have never had sex and are thus not expose to the cancer-causing sexually transmitted viruses. conversely CIN is more frequent in those who started having sex earlier and thus have probably had more sexual partners and a greater risk of transmission.[/quote']

Aye Cervical Cancer can be caused by the STD Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), so in theory if you're a woman and you have more (unprotected) sex, you're more at risk of developing cervical cancer . Interestingly enough Aberdeen is one of the hosts of the PATRICIA trial - they've developed a vacccine which may protect against HPV (and consequently against Cervical Cancer). They offered female Med Students the chance to take part in the trials since they're in the final stages.

If you're interested there's an article on the PATRICIA project *here*

Aye Cervical Cancer can be caused by the STD Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)' date=' so in theory if you're a woman and you have more (unprotected) sex, you're more at risk of developing cervical cancer . Interestingly enough Aberdeen is one of the hosts of the PATRICIA trial - they've developed a vacccine which may protect against HPV (and consequently against Cervical Cancer). They offered female Med Students the chance to take part in the trials since they're in the final stages.

I wish I didn't know you were a medical student, so I could have called it.

Aye Cervical Cancer can be caused by the STD Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)' date=' so in theory if you're a woman and you have more (unprotected) sex, you're more at risk of developing cervical cancer . Interestingly enough Aberdeen is one of the hosts of the PATRICIA trial - they've developed a vacccine which may protect against HPV (and consequently against Cervical Cancer). They offered female Med Students the chance to take part in the trials since they're in the final stages.

They didn't bloody well offer me a vaccine. The obs and gynae department in aberdeen is pretty horrible. What year med student are you? I'm in fifth year. I'm doing my elective on drug facilitated sexual assault in aberdeen. should be good. really fancy sexual health as a career but at the same time dont fancy many years of horrible general obs and gynae to get there. c'est la vie.

I just finished 1st year. They've put a few emails etc asking for volunteers for the study and there was also a stand at the Medic's Freshers' fayre last September, although if you've had a vaccine for Hep A in the last 10 years then you can't take part as that's the vaccine they use as the control (so I'm not actually part of the study). I really want to do Sexual Health/Obs and Gynae when I graduate :)

Twasn't just med students rache, cause there were flyers about it in Square 13 too. I think it's just for any female between 15 and 25, but they felt med students were a good captive audience, cause they'd definitely be here for the next 4 years to complete the study.

That's if they didn't fail. *sulks*