aberdeen-music

EMI blocks Beatles album remix

Guest Craig

news_logo.gif

EMI blocks Beatles album remix

A DJ who has remixed The Beatles' White Album and rapper Jay-Z's Black Album to make The Grey Album has been ordered by record label EMI to stop it being sold.

DJ Danger Mouse created The Grey Album using Jay-Z's vocals and beats made by sampling music on The White Album.

EMI, which releases Beatles records, has served cease and desist orders to the DJ and record shops stocking it.

The DJ is complying - but is happy for fans to copy and distribute promotional copies that have already been pressed.

Those copies are circulating in the hip-hop community, and the legal wrangle is set to make it more of a sought-after underground rarity.

"He's not going to produce any more, sell any more or distribute any more - which is what they're asking of him," a spokesman for DJ Danger Mouse told BBC News Online.

"He's done that in an effort to avoid any legal proceedings. But the album's very much out there."

The DJ was "just happy for people to burn it, bootleg it and post it on the internet", the spokesman said. "Consequently, people are doing it."

When the album was being promoted, DJ Danger Mouse - real name Brian Burton - boasted that all the music on The Grey Album could be traced back to The Beatles' 1968 classic.

"Every kick, snare, and chord is taken from The Beatles White Album and is in their original recording somewhere," the press release said.

But that did not impress EMI, which took action because of copyright infringement. EMI was unavailable for comment.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3493091.stm

Published: 2004/02/16 15:04:53 GMT

BBC MMIV

Originally posted by Keilan 303:

I wish I had the power to stop crap like that being released....it just plain sucks....I downloaded the song change clothes cos its only one I know....and it just stinks....

This situation brings up some interesting points about the whole issue of ownership/copyright of music.

I dont see why it is a problem, so long as the artist being sampled/cut & pasted gets their royalties etc!

In this instance, the use of The Beatles is quite ironic, because they used other peoples music/recording's on a few album's with no credit what so ever!

This is money and greed getting in the way of someone being creative!

Originally posted by Philip:

This is money and greed getting in the way of someone being creative!

It certainly is.

To get yourself noticed nowadays you've got to be creative, and nicking one of the biggest-selling-bands-ever sounds, not just a bit but a whole album, and telling the world you have, in the full knowledge that the owner of the mechanical copyright will slap a nice little court order on you, is certainly creative. The public like a bit of legal wrangling.

As for musically creative, where's the real creativity in not producing a single note on your own, merely rearranging other peoples. A bit mathematical. I think anyone truly creative would have quickly got frustrated with the limited palette.

Originally posted by soundian:

It certainly is.

To get yourself noticed nowadays you've got to be creative, and nicking one of the biggest-selling-bands-ever sounds, not just a bit but a whole album, and telling the world you have, in the full knowledge that the owner of the mechanical copyright will slap a nice little court order on you, is certainly creative. The public like a bit of legal wrangling.

As for musically creative, where's the real creativity in not producing a single note on your own, merely rearranging other peoples. A bit mathematical. I think anyone truly creative would have quickly got frustrated with the limited palette.

The creativity is in the arranging of the pre-recorded sounds.

Is this not an art form in itself?

The creativity is in the arranging of the pre-recorded sounds.

There's frustration in not finding the right bit for the song. The amount of compromises he would have to make from such a limited range of material would be massive. As I said, I think someone truly creative would struggle to finish a project like that.

You could get a computer to do what he's done, with a bit of careful choice of algorithms. In fact, how do you know he didn't?

;)

There's frustration in not finding the right bit for the song. The amount of compromises he would have to make from such a limited range of material would be massive. As I said, I think someone truly creative would struggle to finish a project like that.

You could get a computer to do what he's done, with a bit of careful choice of algorithms. In fact, how do you know he didn't?

;)

But regardless of the method used to make music, isn't it the end result that counts?

But regardless of the method used to make music, isn't it the end result that counts?

Yes and I think the end result will be forced.

If he's used his own lyrics/samples at times then it does, in my view, gain some artistic merit but to do something that I could do doesn't command any respect at all.

... but to do something that I could do doesn't command any respect at all.

Hmmmm, that's a strange way of looking at it!

Heh, go and do such a thing, I'd love to hear the results!

:cheers:

;)

But limiting the samples was the whole point of the album. It's a bit like doing a crossword and complaining that there are only three letters in 6 down when you'd like there to be seven. The challenge is in working with what you've got. He's not compromising, he's still creating but within his own remit. And I think that's still waaay more creative, interpretive and emotive than a computer could be.

I think it also raises an interesting question. Is the music on the album still the creation of the beatles and jay-z, or has it transformed into a new music created by Dangermouse? Where's the line? Does that mean that 'Funky Cold Medina' is actually a Jimi Hendrix tune?

And I'm keeping that for future use...

I could mix the gray album with metallicas black album and call it the charcoal album. Metallica would sue my ass and I'd be famous.

I would love to hear that. I don't think mixing albums constitutes to creating something, mixing would be the correct term. It's novel idea though but people have mixed rap and old songs before...

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

But limiting the samples was the whole point of the album. It's a bit like doing a crossword and complaining that there are only three letters in 6 down when you'd like there to be seven. The challenge is in working with what you've got. He's not compromising, he's still creating but within his own remit. And I think that's still waaay more creative, interpretive and emotive than a computer could be.

I think it also raises an interesting question. Is the music on the album still the creation of the beatles and jay-z, or has it transformed into a new music created by Dangermouse? Where's the line? Does that mean that 'Funky Cold Medina' is actually a Jimi Hendrix tune?

And I'm keeping that for future use...

It's more like doing a Times crossword but only being allowed to use a tiny pocket dictionary. It won't contain the all answers. The computer doing it was an analogy to the old Shakespeare, infinite amount of monkeys, typewriters thing.

At least Funky Cold Medina had some genuine originality in it (unless he ripped off the lyrics as well).

I don't think I'm talented so if I could do it, why would I think someone else was talented for doing it?

Feel free to keep that for future use too.