aberdeen-music

Oi, you lot!

mmw

My Minds Weapon' date=' well what can I say, the singer can't sing, the tunes seemed to be cliche after cliche, they seemed to be trying to be archetypical rock stars without the experience. I spoke to someone at the gig and was asking about the tour etc, I'm not trying to be negative about the band, just trying to work out what they're doing that any other band couldnt do. No offense but from what I gathered, you bought yourself onto a tour (promotion costs ??) and pretty much paid for the advert in Kerrang, any band could do that surely.

Please dont get me wrong I'm sure that there are a lot of people that like My Minds Weapon but for my first main encounter with Aberdeen bands then I have to say Eddison were the most impressive, I liked Red Man's Walkings singer tho, and My Minds Weapon were just your archetypical boyish rock band.

I hope that My Minds Weapon do well, but it does seem to me that any band with finances behind them could achieve a similar thing, when we played down south we bought ourselves onto a pretty good tour and it did very well for us publicity wise, so good luck, but sadly we lost so much on the tour the band couldn't afford to record etc and the band ended, so I hope it goes better for you.

Hope I havent offended anyone, these are just one persons opinions.

Ram :rockon:[/quote']

I feel I should reply to this...

Firstly, in terms of experience, between the 5 of us, we have over 30 years experience in bands in Aberdeen, Nick is the youngest of the bunch at 19, Alex and I are both 20, Dan is 22 and Ben is 27, so I think to describe us as boyish is a tad naive. Secondly, the thing we're doing differently, is that we're constantly working to imporve our profile, to push ourselves further afield and bring the awareness of the band to a higher level. I personally spend between 3-5 hours a day on the internet promoting the band, gigs we're playing, talking to people and generally getting the name about. We also play as many shows around Scotland (Glasgow, Dundee, Forress, Perth, Brechin, Edinburgh etc...) as we can, and are doing our utmost to get out of the country as much as possible, the upcoming tour is our second jaunt down south this year. Not only that, but we also take time to record every song that we write, and circulate it around the web, or simply send out demos in the post, as part of a press kit we've made up.

In terms of 'buying on' to the tour, we always wanted to tour in Semptember, as did Aconite Thrill, who we've been friends with for a long time now, we first played with them almost 2 years ago, and both bands wanted to make our seperate tours as successful as possible, so both bands, as well as, Cry For Silence, contributed money for promotional costs, the same way as you pay for posters or flyers for a local gig. Unfortunatly (sp?), ads in Kerrang do not pay for themselves, as the readership is over 80,000 people per week, not for anyone. I think that's completely different to paying just to get your band on a tour, we're on this tour on merit, and through a smiliar interest to push our band as far as possible.

In terms of what you said about our performance, music and Ben's voice, well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them, we've had a lot worse said about us, and a hell of a lot better. I would've probably been a little more effected by what you said if the above punktastic review didn't receive 60,000 hits per day.

Music is what it is, because it's completely subjective and personal, I'm just glad you took the time out to come down to the gig and see what was going on...

In terms of what you said about our performance' date=' music and Ben's voice, well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them, we've had a lot worse said about us, and a hell of a lot better. I would've probably been a little more effected by what you said if the above punktastic review didn't receive 60,000 hits per day.

[/quote']

Well then in the interests of fairness...

My Minds Weapon - 'Kill...'

S-A-N Promotion - Spring 2005

Publication date: 08 August 2005, 15:35:02 | Author: Adam Starkey

Poor My Minds Weapon. The band, a confused blend of Alexisonfire, Chimaira and The Ramones (bear with me!), have clear ambition and a strong work ethic, but, by their own admission, are going to struggle to make a name for themselves.

You see, the quintet hail from Aberdeen in Scotland. A homeland that they describe as being a far cry from the humdrum central of the UK music scene, and a lot farther than the longest stones throw from anywhere under todays musical spotlight.

Musical wastelands aside, MMW show little focus in their music and seem to try too hard to draw upon all their influences in their music, the result being an unpolished mixture of indigestible noise.

This demo shows some promise with its grinding, Chimaira-esque riffs, and accomplished drum work, which amasses to a modern-sounding metalcore/screamo sound with some clever and effective breakdowns. Opening song Lucky Like Kokura is the brilliantly aggressive highlight.

The music is let down, though, by its predictable and seemingly gratuitous melodies, unfocussed song writing and cringe-worthy chanting of This is my last goodbye at the end of 959 Goodbyes that The Ramones made their signature three decades ago.

If the band can find a more precise direction, and maybe invest in some singing lessons, we may hear from them again.

http://www.metaluk.com/reviews/viewReview.cfm?iReviewID=675

El Flosso :up:

Well then in the interests of fairness...

My Minds Weapon - 'Kill...'

S-A-N Promotion - Spring 2005

Publication date: 08 August 2005' date=' 15:35:02 | Author: Adam Starkey

Poor My Minds Weapon. The band, a confused blend of Alexisonfire, Chimaira and The Ramones (bear with me!), have clear ambition and a strong work ethic, but, by their own admission, are going to struggle to make a name for themselves.

You see, the quintet hail from Aberdeen in Scotland. A homeland that they describe as being a far cry from the humdrum central of the UK music scene, and a lot farther than the longest stones throw from anywhere under todays musical spotlight.

Musical wastelands aside, MMW show little focus in their music and seem to try too hard to draw upon all their influences in their music, the result being an unpolished mixture of indigestible noise.

This demo shows some promise with its grinding, Chimaira-esque riffs, and accomplished drum work, which amasses to a modern-sounding metalcore/screamo sound with some clever and effective breakdowns. Opening song Lucky Like Kokura is the brilliantly aggressive highlight.

The music is let down, though, by its predictable and seemingly gratuitous melodies, unfocussed song writing and cringe-worthy chanting of This is my last goodbye at the end of 959 Goodbyes that The Ramones made their signature three decades ago.

If the band can find a more precise direction, and maybe invest in some singing lessons, we may hear from them again.

[url']http://www.metaluk.com/reviews/viewReview.cfm?iReviewID=675

El Flosso :up:

Totally, in the interest of fairness...;)

My Minds Weapon - Demo EP - http://www.rock3.co.uk/rock3radio/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=178

A four track demo EP that just pours modern molten metal down your neck. The opening track has a youthful modern feel, think hondo maclean, Johnny truant. But with a different beat on the lyrical structure, coming from Scotland they are telling it like it is and powering it with some sweet metal work, a most refreshing sound that has room to grow in the genre the band is competing in. The live track 'lucky little Kokura' show the band is a tight outfit, whilst the 3 songs 959 goodbyes, play dead, and the forgotton, display great structure with a strong melodic feel running throughout each song.

Added: August 1st 2005

Reviewer: rock3

Score: 4.5/5

I just love how this city tries to bring you down...

I would've probably been a little more effected by what you said if the above punktastic review didn't receive 60' date='000 hits per day.[/quote']

Hmm...well, maybe you should be more effected by what he said as this web site gets on average well over 200,000 hits per day . But hey, statistics can prove everything and nothing. :)

Seriously though, whether you hate them or love them MMW are one of the few local bands that are actually making a serious effort to become successful and for that they should be given credit. I hope the tour goes well Jamesy and don't pay too much attention to the local critics they will only get more critical the more successful you become!

when we played down south we bought ourselves onto a pretty good tour and it did very well for us publicity wise' date=' so good luck, but sadly we lost so much on the tour the band couldn't afford to record etc and the band ended, so I hope it goes better for you.

[/quote']

What band was that, just out of interest?