aberdeen-music

Edinbugh Fringe Festival

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

What to see when you're down there? (if you're going(which, if you're not, then disregard this thread))

I, for one, can couch for you ALL to see the Rap Canterbury Tales

I can't really emphasise how utterly stunned I was at seeing such a fantastic and charismatic actor on stage.

Don't check out My Big Red Truck because its some "wild" character who thinks he's edgy but he's actually a diluted, unpopular wannabe.

The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players would be my recommendation.

I'm planning on going, didn't know they were appearing until the sassy little girl gave me a flier after I'd seen some other acts.

Moon Journey was ace, a bizarre musical which I can't really describe, here's the desciption:

'Experimental seventies band and unnatural phenomenon 'Triangle' excavate their legendary rock opus flop. Witness the prog-rock trio save the earth with mime and multimedia magic, on this loony lunar journey. Heavy socio-political content plus live cockatoos.'

Has Perrier Award Winner Alice Lowe, who was in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, I think the audience took a while to warm up to its surrealness, but once they got used to it it was great.

Go go Burlesquo (sp?) was really good, I was worried about a bunch of sleazy guys showing up for the nudity, but it was a really good atmosphere and great performances, especially the girl doing swan lake while juggling hula-hoops. I guess you'll have to go along to see what I mean.

In terms of comedy, Adam Buxton doing I, Pavel was ace, impersonating a Russian experiemental animation artist, including the best 'version' of Pokemon I've ever seen. Richard Herring was also really good, and from what I saw at Best of the Fest Jason Byrne was just great.

Have you seen it? Not good?

God no (I haven't seen it)! Just consider the concept...

Someone else does Bill Hicks' material. It's like an even more evil version of tribute bands. Stand up comedy/social satire just can't be done like that. The material's all to do with the person who's doing its personality/delivery. it's so individual, that I just can't see any way that it can be anything other than sacrilege to try and do someone else's set (Dennis Leary take note).

Pissing on his grave.