aberdeen-music

The Holy Bible tops Newsnight music poll!

Swingin' Ryan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4746117.stm#results

Result of the year, Newsnight viewers vote The Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers as their favourite album of all time.

You know the world's a better place when a programme hosted by Jeremy Paxman places an album with "Cunts" as the fourth word uttered, at the top of a music poll.

Polls and votes mean fuck all musically. Says more about who watches Newsnight more than anything. 30 somethings who are dissatisfied and bittered with the world we're living in.

Cliffy Poo Richard was voted best Artist in the Universe on a Cliff Richard website forum. I was pleased to be informed of this apparently, conventional and common wisdom!

However do you mean??

I believe Cloud's referring to the fact that you not only quote Jack Kerouac twice in your signature bitty, but you also list Kerouac, Burroughs and (this is the big give away) Primo "the only people who have ever heard of me are those who have read Song For Those Who Died In Vain on the back of Gold Against The Soul" Levi in your reading bitty. Plus that level of vitriol usually indicates "lost sheep" if you will :p

Anyway, the result - I couldn't believe my ears hearing "Manic Street Preachers' The Holy Bible" on Newsnight. But surprise surprise, Paul Morley had to put the boot in. Is he ever anything other than a complete twat? There's a guy that embodies the very nature of music journalism and why it's so shit. And the female reviewer clearly didn't have a clue. So it's bleak... everyone knows the greatest pieces of art are always bleak.

(this is the big give away) Primo "the only people who have ever heard of me are those who have read Song For Those Who Died In Vain on the back of Gold Against The Soul" Levi in your reading bitty.

I think it's a little wide of the mark to say the "only" people who have heard of Primo Levi are Manic Street Preachers fans! I know plently of people who have read his work and know nothing about The Holy Bible or MSP. I personally think that Holy Bible is very important album as it exposed those that listen to it other important areas of art. It's musical good too, but does have the odd hoorible GN'R solo shoe-horned in. "Faster" reminds me of The Clash, Wire and PIL and then this horrible Slash solo bursts in from nowhere!

I think it's a little wide of the mark to say the "only" people who have heard of Primo Levi are Manic Street Preachers fans! I know plently of people who have read his work and know nothing about The Holy Bible or MSP. I personally think that Holy Bible is very important album as it exposed those that listen to it other important areas of art. It's musical good too' date=' but does have the odd hoorible GN'R solo shoe-horned in. "Faster" reminds me of The Clash, Wire and PIL and then this horrible Slash solo bursts in from nowhere![/quote']

I wasn't being entirely serious :p

But yeah, that's exactly why i think The Holy Bible (and the Manics as a whole to be honest) is such an important album.

Of course, being a fan of Guns N' Roses as well as The Clash and post-punk, the music appeals to me 100% :D

By mates i obviously mean the other Manics fans they know from Manics forums and stuff. Not real friends.

I still have massive doubts that they could have come first in a Newsnight poll through people from Manics forums getting together and voting. There would still have to have been a very high percentage of non-Manics forum dwellers voting for the albums.

Anyway' date=' the result - I couldn't believe my ears hearing "Manic Street Preachers' The Holy Bible" on Newsnight. But surprise surprise, Paul Morley had to put the boot in. Is he ever anything other than a complete twat? There's a guy that embodies the very nature of music journalism and why it's so shit. And the female reviewer clearly didn't have a clue. So it's bleak... everyone knows the greatest pieces of art are always bleak.[/quote']

Paul Morley needs taking out and battered, unless he can fucking harp on about the 80's or his time at the NME, he has to have a moan about it. The way he tried to show a bit of 'insight' into the album by describing it as "Richey's suicide note" was another example of typical Morley nonsense.

Paul Morley and Manics forum conspiracies aside, I think it's a bit of a triumph. Any poll that doesn't put The Beatles or Radiohead at number one is a result in my book.

I still have massive doubts that they could have come first in a Newsnight poll through people from Manics forums getting together and voting. There would still have to have been a very high percentage of non-Manics forum dwellers voting for the albums.

I have no doubts.

Any poll that doesn't put The Beatles or Radiohead at number one is a result in my book.

Agreed, but for me i'd add Joshua Tree.