aberdeen-music

help with guitar fault

Ollie

Hey there' date=' just wondering, recently my guitar has lost some volume when gong through amps. I was thinkin it may be a pick up problem but i really have no idea? Any suggestions? ta.[/quote']

we're gonna need a lot more info than that....

1.does the sound fade? crackle? cut out/ in?

2.does it exhibit the same behaviour with all amps, or just one amp in particular?

3.do you get crackles when you turn the volume pot?

4.what is the configuration? Single Coil/ humbucker/ how many volume pots/ switches/ tone controls....

unlikely to be pickups (unless active + flat battery as jimmy suggests) generally pick ups they fail you get no output...

So, any more info available?

we're gonna need a lot more info than that....

1.does the sound fade? crackle? cut out/ in?

2.does it exhibit the same behaviour with all amps' date=' or just one amp in particular?

3.do you get crackles when you turn the volume pot?

4.what is the configuration? Single Coil/ humbucker/ how many volume pots/ switches/ tone controls....

unlikely to be pickups (unless active + flat battery as jimmy suggests) generally pick ups they fail you get no output...

So, any more info available?[/quote']

sound doesnt fade at all, just not as loud as other guitars when u put it in the amp. When i turn the volume up loud its nowhere near as loud as youd expect it to be. Same with all amps.no crackels.

Its a strat, cutsom, 3 single coils and the usual 3 knobs, tone / volume.

sound doesnt fade at all' date=' just not as loud as other guitars when u put it in the amp. When i turn the volume up loud its nowhere near as loud as youd expect it to be. Same with all amps.no crackels.

Its a strat, cutsom, 3 single coils and the usual 3 knobs, tone / volume.[/quote']

...the other guitars u r talking about...i take it they are fitted with humbuckers....

...generally speaking there can be huge difference between pick up outputs...the weakest would be from guitars like strat copies etc, the loudest i have heard would be a gibbo explorer (shit forget the name...490's i think)...or after market dimarzio paf pros/ seymour duncan hot rails etc....in short i dont think anything is wrong...just some guitars have high output pickups...some dont.....that help any?

Bad solder joint? Common problem.

But probably just a quieter guitar as per SonHenry' date=' [i']unless you've noticed it getting progressively worse..

Nah, bad solders (cold solders) tend to not work until you pump enough juice through them, then they magically spring to life and act as if nothing is wrong.

If it was a balanced connection and if there was no signal on pin 2 or 3 you would get -6dB on the signal. Unbalanced jacks have only two wires, one doesn't work, nothing works.

i dont know' date=' but from experience it just happens.[/quote']

Maybe sonhenry's not far from the truth, gunk will increase resistance, therefore less signal. It's not a cold solder though.

I get very upset when people spill stuff on my equipment so I never have to deal with gunk problems, if they know what's good for them.