aberdeen-music

CHARLOTTEFIELD & PAPER CUT OUT & PROJECT VEN HELL..FRI 29TH JULY, CELLAR 35

pretty rockin' review of Paper Cut Out if i may say so myself.....!

THE KILLING SPREE, YAKUZA, PAPER CUT OUT

ERRIGLE INN, BELFAST

(but lets cut to the chase..!.(shaz))

Paper Cut Out, then. An unknown package from Newcastle, England. Having only released two songs thus far on 7 via Jealous Records, this is a relatively new band which has burst onto the post-punk scene of late, forming from the ashes of Skip Day Toner. First song is a short sharp burst of spazzy, jazzy, off-kilter post-punk - immediately afterwards the crowd turn and look at each other as if to say whoa..what was that?!.

Its obviously something special. To say this band have stage presence would be doing them an injustice, these guys have venue presence. Constantly moving and intensely passionate. Theyre rocking out and theyre loving it. So are we. I cant think of a valid comparison for their sound: a little Sweep The Leg Johnny, a little Fugazi, a little Gang Of Four. Fast, tight, innovative. Astounding. If only itd lasted longer. Clocking off after around 25 minutes, this is still one of the most enjoyable sets Ive EVER seen.

(hmm...goosebumps already!!)

25 minute set? i like their style. i hate bands that overstay their welcome onstage. one of the reasons dedalus sets were always so short. pick 5 great songs and play them as well as you can for half an hour, much better than plodding through an 8 song set for 50 minutes with people getting bored in the middle when you play that dull ballad to break up the set.

i think i'm gonna push the boat out and come down to this. should be a larf.

it was fucking ace!

ven hell were awesome, possibly one of the finest noisemongering bands around at the moment! paper cut out were cool, sounding very much like sweep the leg johnny which is no bad thing. the guys guitar even reminded me of a saxophone in places. charlottefield were grand too, with an angry beardy drummer who was amazing and some fine dynamics. survived a scare when their amp cut out as well and everyone feared it had blown.

well done to arkade projects for bringing up these two fine bands! go see the bands they put on tonight!

It was fantastic....

Paper Cut Out: I think you would struggle to find a band with stranger time signatures than them! Choppy as fuck...played a nice small set which i also like....7.5/10 for me!

Charlottlefield: Holy shit...this is the best band i have seen this year by far....their last song was so mind blowingly good it was scary....10/10 for sure!