aberdeen-music

help me identify a song on the radio

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it's on radio one, vernon kay played it today before the shitty-o-phonics, it's a rap song featuring I THINK a uk mc, the backbeat is some cheesy 70s/80s song that goes 'oooh oooh oooooooooooooooh-ooo-oooooo-ooooooh" :help:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

who knows, i like the sample though. I just can never hear who is rapping or who sings it because my workmates are talking and stuff

Guest Tam o' Shantie

There you have it folks. The sample is from The Maisonettes - Heartbreak Avene. The form it is in, is the back beat to Roll Deep's 'The Avenue'. Now download and boogie your tits off!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Wow! You're a fucking private detective of corny music! C'mon Biz I know you love a bit of the namby pamb, just slam the record on, nobody is gonna judge you ;)

it's on radio one' date=' vernon kay played it today before the shitty-o-phonics, it's a rap song featuring I THINK a uk mc, the backbeat is some cheesy 70s/80s song that goes 'oooh oooh oooooooooooooooh-ooo-oooooo-ooooooh" :help:[/quote']

"some cheesy 70s/80s song" - I have heard this. It's one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And you have the cheek to call the 'Phonics the "shitty - o - phonics"

Play the game fair..............

you're a fucking legend. anyone else like this track? does Kano feature on this track? It sounds like him.

Kano's not on the track I don't think, he's not part of any 'crew' now I don't think - he's goin it alone man! I think he used to be in Pay as u go cartel. Wiley is the ringleader of roll deep and dizzee used to be part of it til he got into a beef with them! :D

Guest Tam o' Shantie
"some cheesy 70s/80s song" - I have heard this. It's one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

And you have the cheek to call the 'Phonics the "shitty - o - phonics"

Play the game fair..............

It's not cheek - nobody with a pulse and under the age of 50 would pay a blind bit of notice to the stereophonics these days. appalling dad rock, with lyrics such as "superman on an aeroplane, sittin' next do Lois Lane'. Disgraceful.

However this song has a cool heavy old school pop beat and some pretty decent rapping from a couple of decent London MCs. I'm awfully fond of rappers with a strong london accent.

It's not cheek - nobody with a pulse and under the age of 50 would pay a blind bit of notice to the stereophonics these days. appalling dad rock' date=' with lyrics such as "superman on an aeroplane, sittin' next do Lois Lane'. Disgraceful.

However this song has a cool heavy old school pop beat and some pretty decent rapping from a couple of decent London MCs. I'm awfully fond of rappers with a strong london accent.[/quote']

I'm under 50. And have a pulse. I'm paying a blind bit of attention. I admit JEEP and You Gotta Go There were two howlers, but I think their new album is a return to form. Superman is the worst song on it by a long chalk, however. Word gets Around and Performance are two brilliant albums that sound as fresh and exciting now as they did when they were released.

I find the "rapping" "disgraceful" on your "old school revival." What is it with "old school" and old fucking songs reappearing all the time - A complete lack of imigination.

The Phonics can and will be dissed until the day they split up. At least they can sleep safe in the knowledge they write and perform all their own material and don't have the raid the archives of the 80's for material.

Christ, I feel like I'm indulging in an argument in '95 at school again -

Classmate: "Aye min, fuckin' rave music's I best, like"

Me: "I think i'll stick with these Therapy? and Manic Street Preachers CDs, thanks"

Classmate: "Awww, min 'at's fuckin shite, 'at. Club culture rules."

Oh, and this typo also rules:

"superman on an aeroplane, sittin' next do Lois Lane'

If you add a couple of extra commas you get:

"superman on an aeroplane, sittin', next, do Lois Lane'

It's like an insight into the mind of Clark Kent: "I'm sittin here on this aeroplane, next I must do Lois Lane"

Guest tv tanned
Christ' date=' I feel like I'm indulging in an argument in '95 at school again -

Me: "I think i'll stick with these Therapy? and Manic Street Preachers CDs, thanks"

Classmate: "Awww, min 'at's fuckin shite, 'at. Club culture rules."[/quote']

Ah the bastion of tolerance that was Dyce Academy...

Seconded on the phonics, seem to have recovered after an embarrassing dip in form.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'm under 50. And have a pulse. I'm paying a blind bit of attention. I admit JEEP and You Gotta Go There were two howlers' date=' but I think their new album is a return to form. Superman is the worst song on it by a long chalk, however. Word gets Around and Performance are two brilliant albums that sound as fresh and exciting now as they did when they were released.[/quote']

I've heard both singles from the new album and they both suck so much ass. Their first two albums had a few good songs on them, though I'm not really into radio rock. However, in this argument their earlier output is null.

I find the "rapping" "disgraceful" on your "old school revival." What is it with "old school" and old fucking songs reappearing all the time - A complete lack of imigination.

"What's" with you "quoting" stuff that doesn't "need" quotation marks? Actually I wasn't "rapping" on this "song". I'm sorry that you find it "disgraceful". To my knowledge hip hop artists aren't passing off backbeats as their own music. The point is that this style originated amongst people who had no other way of making or recording music to go along with the vocal delivery of their lyrics. Hence' date=' they would mix up beats from LPs and sing/rap over them as an alternative.

The Phonics can and will be dissed until the day they split up. At least they can sleep safe in the knowledge they write and perform all their own material and don't have the raid the archives of the 80's for material.

Considering their biggest hit is a shitty Rod Stewart song I think that's rich.

Christ, I feel like I'm indulging in an argument in '95 at school again -

Classmate: "Awww, min 'at's fuckin shite, 'at. Club culture rules."

Yeah, except you're making me out to be some kind of ignorant fool who couldn't understand the genius of am acquired taste like The Stereophonics, who have sold millions of albums and who play shows like Party In The Park. They're generic bland rock, and even in their "glory days" were nothing other than a bog standard melodic rock band with a few good tunes.

If you were to listen to half the stuff that I appreciate, you'd no doubt sound like quite the 'classmate' with comments such as "Aww min, fit's 'at racket? Fit's is, bands jiust yelling in a room and heedbangin'" or "Fa's playing 'at "auld school" pish, I've heard 'at aboot 15 year ago, an' 'is "rapping" is just "disgraceful", min"

Oh' date=' and this typo also rules:

"superman on an aeroplane, sittin' next do Lois Lane'

If you add a couple of extra commas you get:

"superman on an aeroplane, sittin', next, do Lois Lane'

It's like an insight into the mind of Clark Kent: "I'm sittin here on this aeroplane, next I must do Lois Lane"[/quote']

Now that's what I call an active imagination! :cheers:

I've heard both singles from the new album and they both suck so much ass. Their first two albums had a few good songs on them' date=' though I'm not really into radio rock. However, in this argument their earlier output is null.[/quote']

Easy now, it's nae an arguement. I honestly feel Dakota is a beezer of a song and one of their best singles.

"What's" with you "quoting" stuff that doesn't "need" quotation marks? Actually I wasn't "rapping" on this "song". I'm sorry that you find it "disgraceful". To my knowledge hip hop artists aren't passing off backbeats as their own music. The point is that this style originated amongst people who had no other way of making or recording music to go along with the vocal delivery of their lyrics. Hence' date=' they would mix up beats from LPs and sing/rap over them as an alternative.[/quote']

First quote use was because I don't consider the song to have "rapping" - I find it just a noise.

Second quote use was a come back at this -

with lyrics such as "superman on an aeroplane' date=' sittin' next do Lois Lane'. Disgraceful. [/quote']

Third quote use was me taking the piss out of the coloquial use of the word "old school."

Considering their biggest hit is a shitty Rod Stewart song I think that's rich.

Considering Dakota was their first single to make it to number one in the UK singles and download chart I would say it was bigger than than that farcical cover which only made it to number four. You're right - it's a travesty of a song. Turgid and uninspiring. A car crash of a cover. Recorded when the band were shiter than shite. I fully agree. I'm glad they've moved on and returned to better times. But one cover in over 24 singles is nae bad going I think.

Yeah' date=' except you're making me out to be some kind of ignorant fool who couldn't understand the genius of am acquired taste like The Stereophonics, who have sold millions of albums and who play shows like Party In The Park. They're generic bland rock, and even in their "glory days" were nothing other than a bog standard melodic rock band with a few good tunes. [/quote']

Easy now, I was having a go at myself for criticising music I don't like - e.g. the song you mentioned. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean to say you or no - one else should. I was just taking the piss out of myself. The 'Phonics are no way a fave band of mine - I just happen to think fondly of them as they were one of the first bands I saw in Aberdeen in a club (The Works, 1997) and have met them a few times and think they good guys and a good laugh. they are by no means the kind of music I really like, but they have a few good tunes and some good memories for me. I think there new album has a good few tunes on it but offers nothing different or earth - shatteringly exciting in terms of music.

If you were to listen to half the stuff that I appreciate' date=' you'd no doubt sound like quite the 'classmate' with comments such as "Aww min, fit's 'at racket? Fit's is, bands jiust yelling in a room and heedbangin'" or "Fa's playing 'at "auld school" pish, I've heard 'at aboot 15 year ago, an' 'is "rapping" is just "disgraceful", min"[/quote']

I don't speak like that, thank you very much. I paid attention in class. Unlike the morons who listened to the "club culture" tunes and are now a) Robbing houses in Dyce to pay for their heroin habit b) In prison. c) In hospital after contracting heppy B or d) Dead.

Some "rap" stuff I like and own -

Rage Against The Machine

Wu Tang

Kool Keith

The Pharcyde

Mobb Deep

Cypress Hill

Public Enemy

Bodycount

Beastie Boys

Jurrasic 5

Blackalicious

Tha Alkaholiks

Bullyrag

Skindred

King Prawn

I'm sure if you listened to some of the other stuff I really like such as Cecil, Anyone, "A", American Head Charge, or numerous others you wouldnae like them all.

But you're in a band with Dave, so I'm sure we must share some musical interests, eh?

Now that's what I call an active imagination! :cheers:

Why thank you.

MISTAKE!!!!!!!

And a beezer as well.

Just a wee typo, lad. When I originally wrote "payed" it said "bothered to pay" but I changed it and added the "ed", obviously forgetting to drop the "y" and add "id"

Remember it's difficult to type as quickly as you can during a coffee break or your lunchtime..................... you don't have time to go back and change things. It was difficult enough finding time to add in the quotes which I've never really used before..................