aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics NYC Diary

Alan Cynic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the gig is now past........I wanted to go on first (the usual spot!), but the other 2 insisted I went on last, which was awkward, as the crowd weren't there for me. The first act, Mike Wexler is building up a fair old following here (he had done an instore performance at Other Music the night before). Then PG Six did a beautiful set, with lovely fingerpicking, and even some harp playing, so I was up against it.

I was my usual nervous self for the first couple of songs, and felt I was losing the crowd, so I did Ivor Cutler's 'Triangle of hair' (which wasn't on my setlist). This seemed to do the trick, and I seemed to go down all right. It was comforting to have Major Matt Mason in the audience, and I'm getting fed and entertained by him and Nan tomorrow evening.

PG Six & girlfriend kindly put me up at their Brooklyn flat after the gig.

Today I went to see Momus do an art gallery show thing, which was weird but entertaining, and then went to see Marianne Nowottny, PG Six, In Gowan Ring and Nick Castro play. The last 3 acts were superb, but, although Marianne Nowottny was good, I couldn't help but compare her unfavourably with our own Kathryn Sawers, who is far more worthy of media attention, in my opinion.

I'm going to eat soon, then it's back to the Chelsea Hotel (room WITH air conditioning this time!!!)

My last night in NYC was a great one. Was wined and dined by Matt & Nan Schwervon, and then taken to a tiny venue in Williamsburg to see Pre War Yard Sale and Jeffrey Lewis.....ace fun!! Next it was the Sidewalk Cafe, followed by A2 til God knows what time.

This internet cafe (Cafe Alt) is my favourite.....last time I was in they were playing the Only ones, and today it's the Incredible String Band (which makes me homesick!!).

Thus endeth the diary.

The last night ended well, StewCat, with Major Matt and me "up on the roof" drinking wine 'til 4.30am (but I was up at 7.30......groooghh). I had a fair old chinwag with Jeffrey Lewis, too (when I shook his hand after we were introduced he told me that the last hand he'd shaken was Lou Reed's half an hour before, in an Art Gallery!!!). I MIGHT be included in some audience shots for a J Lewis video, and was invited to be an extra for some subway scenes, but it was being filmed today, and I'm home now.

Mind you, despite the great time, Aberdeen's the place for me...I'm chuffed to be home :rockon:

Pah, I'm ready for book seven!! It's not as good as some of the others actually, but I am nonetheless, shaken by some of its events. But one thing I was glad about was that despite a glum sort of start, it didn't get too heavy and Death Eaterish and stay that way all the way through, the fifth book was a bit like that what with Umbridge everywhere. :)

Guest DustyDeviada

Just to prove that this wasn't all a figment of Alan's imagination, here's some photographic evidence.

A promo poster. Top billing, so can't complaing about going on last Alan!

KCNYC1.jpg

Alan and Dusty make it to Bleecker Street:

KCNYC2.jpg

And sorry to hijack the thread, but I couldn't resist showing this snap of me with the legendary Mr Les Paul at the Iridium nightclub, Broadway, shortly after he signed my Les Paul. If you see what I mean. He's 90 years old! (He's the one on the right ;))

LP1.jpg

It would be fun asking him to sign himself!! :ding:

Dusty...I got those 'Sid Loves Nancy' plectrums for you from Chelsea Guitars. Will get them to you soon.

ps....please don't post that photo of me, the dalmatian and the policewoman :down:

10 best memories of my trip.....

1 Bagels with Matt & Nan Schwervon on my last morning

2 The iced coffees and good music in Cafe Alt, Avenue A

3 Hammering Black Forest/Black Sea at scrabble

4 Meeting up with Will Schaff at the Decatur (dog-friendly) bar, where he is the bouncer

5 Seeing PG Six do 'Crooked Way' live at Makor

6 Watching In Gowan Ring and Nick Castro record 'Gently Johnny' for Irene Trudel

7 Lach telling me he'll be a daddy soon

8 CBGBs with the Deviadas

9 The black bean soup and pasta in the Empire Diner

10 Making out with Kim Gordon

(nb....one of the above isn't true)

10 worst memories....

1 Some woman vomiting from the floor above my hotel window, and the stuff sticking on my window mesh

2 Getting soaked in the rain on my first night

3 Being totally knackered after staying up all night

4 Sweat soaking through my t-shirts most days

5 Damaging my wrist on a punch-bag when drunk

6 Cat using my head as a launch-pad to reach a window (more than once during the night)

7 Watching Dusty Deviada projectile-vomit over the Brooklyn Bridge

8 Stamping on my echo pedal in Providence, then realising I hadn't connected the battery

9 Getting some heavy treatment at the airport 'cos the capo/kaleidoscope combination in my breast pocket looked like a gun

10 Finding my favourite bar had been modernised, badly

(nb....again, one of the above isn't true)

Guest DustyDeviada

8 CBGBs with the Deviadas

Yep' date=' I'll bet everyone here is sorry that they missed the wild rock n' roll action that was going on in CBGBs while we where there. ;)

9 Getting some heavy treatment at the airport 'cos the capo/kaleidoscope combination in my breast pocket looked like a gun

Ha ha! Classic!

The flights sound a good deal....mine were a bit more expensive. As for hotels...I stayed with friends most nights to avoid paying ridiculous hotel prices, but the last time I went I stayed at a really cheap place called the White House Hotel on the Bowery (opposite CBGBs). It was pretty horrible though. I can tell you more in a PM if you're interested.

I also deliberately stayed up all night, moving (slowly) from coffee shop to bar to coffee shop. It was a lot cheaper than a hotel, but I was a walking wreck the next day (but then I'm a walking wreck most of the time anyway)>

Guest DustyDeviada

Our flights were slightly cheaper than that, but we flew from Heathrow, so you would need to get yourself down there as well. We flew in the middle of summer though, should be much cheaper in November I think. We flew with American Airllines, best legroom if you are lanky like me.

Here's the site for the hotel we stayed at, I would recommend it: www.cosmohotel.com

Cheers guys, any info would be helpful.

I went two years ago so I half know my way around, got prices for a twin room at the American Dream hostel which is coming in at 120 for 5 nights which I suppose isn't bad. The flights are Aberdeen>Heathrow>JFK so at least we don't need to fuck about with luggage etc

The only seats left for QOTSA/NIN are behind the stage, any info on touts over there? How annoying!