aberdeen-music

New My Mind's Weapon Track.

mmw

Guest Page 99

Listened to this today. It's definatly a musical improvement of sorts, you guys are most definatly more becoming more proficient, tighter and heavier with each demo, but it still smacks of the cliched Atreyu/Killswitch Engage song structure and sound. Which is fine if you like that kind of music, and fans of said band will probibly lap this up, I just feel seeing as you cite progressive music as an influence there could be far more progression made sound and song wise.

but it still smacks of the cliched Atreyu/Killswitch Engage song structure and sound. .

Hey. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate you taking the time to have a listen and comment. However, from our point of view, for a song that's only 4 and a half minutes long, the only common denominator in it is the pre-chorus/chorus combination, with the rest of the song having complex time signatures and varying parts ahoy, which in our book adds a progressive edge. We've got some more new stuff coming, so keep an eye out, perhaps it'll become more obvious with that..! Thanks again.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Had a listen, Ben's voice is better and stronger. The band sounds very confident and 'on'. I do think that the instrumental break could do with a little tweaking/alteration.

You sure this is live? :D

With the rest of the song having complex time signatures and varying parts ahoy' date=' which in our book adds a progressive edge. We've got some more new stuff coming, so keep an eye out, perhaps it'll become more obvious with that..! Thanks again.[/quote']

I gave the track a spin and thought it was a fair improvement on the open d palm muting gunk that everyone's churning out, my only criticism is that with all the 'complex time signatures' it deducts scores of continuity to the song and sounds like it's only really done to emphasise the level of musicianship - especially the end. Bens voice is better, but could still be improved on.

I just feel seeing as you cite progressive music as an influence there could be far more progression made sound and song wise.

thanks for the comments man, however one thing I'd just like to say regarding the above;

Clearly we're not actually a PROG band as such, and certainly don't try to be one. However, bands such as Dream Theater, Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah and especially Devin Townsend's work influence various individuals in the band - and whether we actually sound like them or not doesn't take away from the fact that they are still a great influence.

Just thought I'd mention that so you can see where we're coming from!

Cheers

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Love it. Never seen or heard you guys until now. Of course I have heard Dan and Jamesy talk about the band but I've also heard the usual naysaying. I like the contrasting sections of the song. I like the fact that it tugs at the heart strings and I think it adds to the song not takes away from it but that's a personal prefrence, also this may not work with all songs but this particular new one I thought worked nicely.