aberdeen-music

How influencial will Live 8 really be?

Hog

one of them called his friend and said The Who were the best thing there except for Floyd...he had tears in his eyes at the start and couldn't believe they had reunite...amazing when you consider they broke up five years before he was born!

I think every Pink Floyd fan was like that. Its the same for me, they split up proper (waters left) 7 years before i was born. And seeing them together (despite Dave Gilmour clearly not wanting to), well... what a moment. Not quite at the tears stage, but a few more beers and I would have been there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gigs themselves wont make much of a difference but the fact they have been happening HAS increased awareness of the issues and put a lot of media spotlight on these issues for the weeks running up to the event. Hopefully this and the make poverty history campaign will have some effect. Unfortunately if so many people who claim to care so much about the problems allow their extreme cynicism to prevent them from doing anything about it then igorance will win again. Even if you don't agree that these methods will work at least some people are doing something which they feel can make a difference.

I agree that Live8 has increased awareness, but it totally over shadowed the fact that a quarter of a million people turned up in Edinburgh to show their support for Make Poverty History.

They didn't go because there was bands playing or so they could see some celebrity, they showed up to make their feelings known, and the MPH rally didn't even make the frontpages - a bunch of famous people did. Geldof has totally hijacked the MAKE POVERTY HISTORY campaign.

And what's he gonna do? Be nice to Mr Blair and Mr Brown and when they give us some watered down 'solution', keep his head up their backsides?? It ain't gonna work BOB