aberdeen-music

Prs

Stripey

Guest RockMonkey

PRS isn't for publicity, it is to collect your royalties for you. I have been a member for about 6 years. You pay a one time fee, as long as you can prove that you have had a song played on the radio etc. They collect money from venues like the Lemon Tree, and when you play a gig there, you will be given a PRS form to fill in, which is just a list of your songs. You will receive an amount of money, normally quarterly depending on how often you play and how often your songs are on the radio. If you don't play venues that have to pay PRS and don't have a song on the radio then there is not much point joining, although you can get good advice.

Each venue you play will have a different license so you may not be able to claim for every gig. However, PRS does have a system for small venues that you can enquire about. You have to fill in a form of all your small venue gigs (I think for the whole year but I could be wrong) and you can get money for some of them. Email them and ask.

The PRS money that you get is actually your money anyway as it is essentially royalties from playing your songs. The only person in a band that needs to join is the songwriter.

It is worth joining if you are gigging regularly because the money does mount up. For example, I played a gig with Donnie Munro in Inverness at the Eden theatre. I didnt get paid for the gig, just expenses, but the PRS money from that one gig was 98.

For a gig at the Lemon Tree, half an hour set, I get about 15. It depends on tickets sales and profit. Radio is slightly different. If you get played on Northsound once then you wont get money because they are a small station. However if you get played several times then you will get some money. If you get played once on a national station then you will get money. Its yours so you might as well have it!

If you are playing on other people's albums and they are making money then you should join PPL which is free. They collect worldwide royalties on the behalf of performers, so for example, if you sang backing on some song that gets in the charts in Marakesh, they will collect the royalties for you and put them in your bank. Worth looking at.

There is not much point in joining MCPS as such unless you are planning to do covers or release other peoples music for them. To release your own music officially,ie through a duplication company, all you need from MCPS is a certificate of No Claim, and you don't need to be a member to get that.

Hope this helps,

Jo