aberdeen-music

Footballers' Autobiographies

For any of you fellow anoraks of the game, here's a few books to read beside the swimming pool in the summer months!

Niall Quinn - The best autobiog I've read, great book, really funny, and an excellent insider's account of what happened within the Irish team meeting where Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy exchanged pleasantries.

Stan Bowles - Just finished reading it actually. Superb. They should put this in schools and universities! For those who don't know, he was one of the greatest players to grace the game, but is now penniless, due to his chronic gambling addiction! As well as tracing his career, you really get a great insight into the mind of a gambling addict, and the lengths that people go to get dosh to put on the dogs!

Robin Friday - Titled 'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw', this book was written by Paulo Hewitt and Guigsy from Oasis. Apparently this geezer was some player, but a complete headcase! Very good!

The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro - OK, so it's not an autobiography, but is a classic in its own right. Written by an American who gets into 'soccer' after watching USA '94, the story traces a lowly Serie C team, who make it to Serie B. The author eventually ties to give his input into how the team should play etc, and is a brilliant read and gives a great insight into Italian football.

The Denis Law one is a cracker! Picked it up at a Church jumble sale for 2, when I opened it I discovered to my delight that it had been signed by the mongoose himself with the following immortal words: "Hope you make it to a 100, From Denis"

Must have belonged to some poor old biddy beforehand!

Bobby Robson's is a good read, but he tends to whine a bit. Brilliant centre-spine photo of a youthful chest hair thatched Mourihno at Barca though.