aberdeen-music

Serious discussion on new Pope

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

So, in all seriousness, what do folk think?

Will the Catholic Church select a Pope from the developing world? Serious talk of Cardinal Arenzi from Nigeria being considered.

This despite the fact that Cardinal Arenzi is even more conservative than JP2 was, and therefore is unlikely to do anything on the church's stance on contraception and abortion, both of which are affecting the developing world detrimentally (I acknowledge other factors such as Thabo Mbeki's ignorance are not helping matters either)

On the flipside, there is also discussion about Cardinal Ratzinger, who is leading the funeral today. He is also fairly conservative.

The only real maverick so far has been one of the Brazilian cardinals who is fairly left-wing and in favour of reforms.

The age of the new Pope is also a factor, will they go for someone younger, like with JP2, or will they go for an older Pope and run the risk of him dying early in his reign like JP1?

Probably nobody cares, and will just post photoshops of the Pope in (to their own mind) amusing scenarios...

It would be good to see the Catholic Church take a risk. Electing a black Pope would be a good start but I would like to see someone who is more liberal the Pope JP2.

The HIV epidemic in Africa and something should be done about it straight away.

Guest tv tanned

he was 58 when he was appointed. reigned for quarter of a century.

truth is, they needed that after the disaster of JP1, died 33 days into his papacy.

I think they'll go for someone in their mid-60s at the very oldest.

he was 58 when he was appointed. reigned for quarter of a century.

truth is' date=' they needed that after the disaster of JP1, died 33 days into his papacy.

I think they'll go for someone in their mid-60s at the very oldest.[/quote']

The year of 3 popes. Booyah.

The Question is' date=' will any of them do anything about the Aids crisis in Africa?[/quote']

Let's hope so aye?