aberdeen-music

goNORTH needs Aberdeen bands

Guest Startex

Guest Startex

goNORTH 2005 will be at the end of May/start of June. There will be two nights of free showcases on Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd June in the usual venues along Belmont Street. Those showcases will, as always, feature the bands who are expected to be of greatest interest to the music industry and world. If you think that your band should be included then please send a demo package to:

goNORTH

Aberdeen Foyer

Marywell Street

Aberdeen AB11 6JF

Your demo package must include a cd with at least three songs, and a breif biography explaining how long you've been on the go, what you've done so far, and why you think the music industry is going to want to check you out. If you have a decent photograph of the band please include that as well. Don't put one in that's taken at a gig unless it's in focus and very well lit. Last but by no means least, put your contact details on every page you include, and on the cd!

This is an un-official announcement and it hasn't gone public anywhere else yet, so you have a lot more warning than any other bands! I don't yet know what the deadline will be so get them in as quickly as you can. I will be fighting to get as many local bands on as possible but need your demos to do so. Remember that it's open to all bands, in all coutries in the northern hemisphere, so there's fairly stiff competition!

We are hoping to get The Musicians Union Workshop Band to Foyer Music for free workshops on Monday 30th May and Glasgow's Soma Records will be holding their Soma School workshops at Snafu on Friday 3rd June. There will be a cover-mounted CD with Music Week again and there's quite a lot of interest already from around the industry. We hope to get the website updated sometime but as soon as I have any news I'll post it up here.

Any questions, you know how to get a hold of me! :band:

Guest Startex
Not trying for an arguement etc

Honest guv! No of course it's not worth trying. Especially with an attitude like that. Just stick to working in a sandwich shop, or whatever you do. Then you won't have to break into a sweat for the rest of your life. Much easier.

Guest Startex
Is this open to ALL styles of music of just band ? Would you be intrested in an MC and turntablist' date=' if so awl get a promo pack out to you asap[/quote']

It's open to anyone and everyone. I for one would be delighted to get a death metal band in one pack and a chamber orchestra in the next! Aberdeen based MC played one of the showcases a year or two ago.

Im being serious! Metal is not a popular genre compared to rock' date='emo, pop etc[/quote']

oh you must be kidding me dude? within there legions please dont tell me you actually believe that metallica or sabbath aint as popular and sell as many units as say oasis. infact you mention emo as a popualr genre. please tell me a top emo band that shifts as much as top metal bands like maiden, metallica, ozzy etc

oh you must be kidding me dude? within there legions please dont tell me you actually believe that metallica or sabbath aint as popular and sell as many units as say oasis. infact you mention emo as a popualr genre. please tell me a top emo band that shifts as much as top metal bands like maiden' date=' metallica, ozzy etc[/quote']

Exactly!

Hog, what did you expect him to say?

"No, we hate metal and it's not as commercially acceptable as clean cut, floppy fringed emo bands. For these reasons we refuse to have metal bands play our festival."

However, it does always give metal bands something to fall back on, i.e. "It's just because we're metal, we can't possibly just be shite."

You're not actually being serious' date=' are you?[/quote']

I am Jamesy. Really man.

Perhaps I shouldnt have a defeatist attitude. Perhaps my band is shit (Element 106) argh, i dont know what im trying to say.

We will send you a cd Dave, cheers

Guest Startex
There is no excuse.

Calum' date='

don't sink to the level. Don't matter how 'good' or 'bad' your band are, you guys are ace people. [b']That's what matters. So just rise above it, ignore it.