aberdeen-music

Multi Effects Units... (Line 6, Boss, Vox....)

PaulDW

Pod XT Live

Boss GT-8/GT-6

Native Instruments Guitar Rig

Vox Tonelab/ Tonelab SE

Im looking at purchasing one of these effects units... I was interested to see if there were players on here who had any personal experience or recommendations in terms of the units I listed above...

I would think POD or Tonelab would be good first choices. The Native Instruments doesn't seem as strong a product in my opinon and you need a PC/lap top to run it which could cause further problem/expense.

Certainly for playing live like you do then the Tonelab SE and the XT Live would be good all in one choices. I do believe Bruce Millars have or did have a Tonelab SE in stock?

POD certainly sounds good. I speant hours on one playing around I thought it was great. So many good sounds waiting to pop out at you. Still need to try the Tonelab but it got a very favourable review in guitarist and the whole valve idea is very encouraging...is this for use live or just practice/recording?

I've got the Boss ME-50, the one down a price level, and it sounds like the business, the new GT-8 seems to have some very advanced switching options, but so does the POD Live XT, what a perfect excuse to try them all out. I had a Digitech thing (RP-80) for a while, and it definitely sounded sub-standard, and the wah pedal broke and remained permanently open, no danger of that on the Boss, Nails it is.

I would say mainly live and recording, this is going to be a serious piece of kit for me, and im hoping to get the best sounding piece of kit I can find. But it definitely needs to stands up in a gigging situation...

Need for good distortions and overdrives... In most of these units the actual delays/reverbs/choruses etc etc sound very good. But I have noticed differences in the overdrives and so on. A good wah is a must for me as well...

Certainly for playing live like you do then the Tonelab SE and the XT Live would be good all in one choices. I do believe Bruce Millars have or did have a Tonelab SE in stock?

We've got the Tonelab desktop edition the last time I checked, but we don't have the SE. I've heard good things, the valve lifts it above the competition i think.

The valve is definitely a good point... I have never been the greatest fan of Vox equipment, although I have heard that this is a well built piece of kit. In general the decison of course will come down to me actually trying these units out... But its good to just hear a few opinions...

All of the above are more amp modellers with FX. I dont know if all of the Distorted settings are integral to the amp models, or if there are independant 'stompbox' effects- as is the case in the VST Amplitube (handt to have for recording)

The ME-50 is a stompbox modeller, with 22 different distortion box models, some Boss but also RAT(my fave), Tubescreamer etc plus Modulation & Delay sections, reverb compressor etc. I have used this since late November, for gigs and recording, and find it very easy to get the kind of sounds I like, mainly very cutting high gain sounds from a tele, but with a humbucker fitted guitar more thick scooped chug guitar could easily be got, and the delays are brilliant-tap syncable. Its also a doddle to work. Even creating patches

However your budget seems a bit higher than that so try as many out, either with your own guitar, or an identical make if possible. So much of the technology is shit hot these days that its up to the buyer to find what suits them best. I have had quite a lot of use of Roland/Boss products over about 8 years, and have always found them reliable, easy to use, and have a great sound, whether synths or guitar FX, and they have made some of the best gear in their fields since way back when. No I don't work for them, if only.

I have a zoom 505 II in a box in the back of my cupboard... Exactly where it is going to stay! Sounded great 4 yars ago... Now... Well I can't find the words to descibe it.

These units, any of them listed, have pro's and cons, but they are at a higher level than those Zoom boxes thats for sure...

Guest stuartmaxwell

DUDE

get onto ebay and buy lots of wee pedals

your tone wont suffer (arf!)

plus you can get a killer distortion from a hughes and kettner warp factor