aberdeen-music

Advice on looking after a valve amp...

A few tips...

Always transport the amp upright if possible...

Try not to bump it about too much...

Let the valves warm up for a few minutes before making them work...

If you transport it to a gig in cold and/or wet weather let it stand in the venue for a at least 20 minutes before powering it up.

Ensure that the fuses fitted are rated correctly and are slow or quick blow where required (this is very important)

Use the standby switch correctly at all times...let it warm up before switching standby on....and let it cool down before switching mains off.

If the amp starts to blow output fuses it's a fair bet it needs valves...remember to replace the fuse with the correct one.

Treat it with respect and care and it wil give you good service.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

G...

Originally posted by GraemeC:

Hey.....you stick to what you know best.....trannies!!!!:O

It's only through you that I know how heavy Trannies can be!

Can you wear the blue dress next time, you know it's my fave.

I only said that cos I know I'll have a plethora of spotty faced guitar geeks refusing to take their valve amps off-stage 'til they've cooled down.( The amps, not the spotty faced guitar geeks)

Originally posted by soundian:

It's only through you that I know how heavy Trannies can be!

Can you wear the blue dress next time, you know it's my fave.

I only said that cos I know I'll have a plethora of spotty faced guitar geeks refusing to take their valve amps off-stage 'til they've cooled down.( The amps, not the spotty faced guitar geeks)

I no longer dress in womens cloths....

I now find total nudity far more rewarding.

spotty faced guitar geeks should be forced to leave their amps off stage with a long cab lead...this would eliminate any problems with moving amps and turning up during the set.....

G...

i asked this question ages ago on harmony-central (big guitar forums) and the general idea was to let it warm up for 5 or so minutes before use, and afterwards there is no real need to leave it on standy or anything, just switch it off properly, but try and let the valves cool before moving it

on stage, i try and get one quickly as the band before finish to switch it on and let it warm up (just jump on stage, flick the switch, then hop off again to let them clear away their stuff), then afterwards, switch it off as soon as you are done, then let it cool for as long as possible, ie, leave it till everything else is cleared away before taking it off

enjoy your new amp

David

Forward planning for changeovers involves getting the last bands equipment off-stage as quickly as possible so you can set up and check the next bands equipment. I'm afraid you valvie types are just going to have to live with that. Maybe find a place where you can rest it for a while so it's only moved once while hot.

Originally posted by soundian:

Forward planning for changeovers involves getting the last bands equipment off-stage as quickly as possible so you can set up and check the next bands equipment. I'm afraid you valvie types are just going to have to live with that. Maybe find a place where you can rest it for a while so it's only moved once while hot.

To be perfectly honest valve filements are not that fragile...10 seconds after the amp is powered down its safe to shift it...its just when they are white hot that its a problem....and the abuse they get on stage is far worse than a wee bump...

Originally posted by GraemeC:

To be perfectly honest valve filements are not that fragile...10 seconds after the amp is powered down its safe to shift it...its just when they are white hot that its a problem....and the abuse they get on stage is far worse than a wee bump...

It's all good then.