aberdeen-music

Why I have no respect for the majors, and never will.

Guest Neubeatz

Guest Neubeatz
and what about the small indie labels who rely on people buying the music they release' date=' does this rule apply to them?[/quote']

Well I would keep the thrust pointing at the majors, did you hear "Pass It Along" Del???

Guest stuartmaxwell

del you are the worst

you coming to fudge awards on friday. such an event requires your attendance regardless of geography you old dog you...

del you are the worst

you coming to fudge awards on friday. such an event requires your attendance regardless of geography you old dog you...

no i'm not coming to the fudge awards sadly though i'm thinking of popping over for gonorth....

If the whole world revoked and completly stopped paying for music and just downloaded it, then music would cease to be.....everyone knows it a business and if they arent going to make any money then they wont bother paying ANY artists to record....its no secret....

But im a far cry from being a downloading music hater....but a majority of my music is legally downloaded......but obviously i have got the HARDER stuff aswell (illegal downloading is much like being a herion addict dont u know?)....

Its just the media hyping up the whole issue that its crushing to the industry....much like video tapes in the 80's....the companies said it would destroy them....but it turned out to give them something like a 40% sales increase after time...or some shit like that....

And also in december 2004 (i think) legal downloads reached a higher selling amount than cd singles for the first ever time....but without the drop in cd single sales....i think the normal figure is about 200000 cd singles a month......so they sold that many cd singles anyway then got the money for a further 250000 legally downloaded tracks.....so they basically doubled their profits....

In conclusion mp3 downloading isnt killing the industry....but if we start taking the piss and revoking too much then we will see less artists being signed....

If the whole world revoked and completly stopped paying for music and just downloaded it' date=' then music would cease to be.....everyone knows it a business and if they arent going to make any money then they wont bother paying ANY artists to record....its no secret....

[/quote']

That's quite funny, coming from someone who says they are just making music "to have fun".

Music as "business" is an artificial concept. Music is an artform, business only pollutes it, to the extent that economics begin to dictate the aesthetic, rather than than the tastes of the public, the consumer. The sad fact is, a direct result of this perversion of the artform, is that would-be artists also take their cues from the business defined aesthetic and we are left with a self-perpetuating circle of decline. The vast majority of bands in aberdeen now are a sad testament to this fact, and the sick thing is, people embrace it because they are so conditioned into that way of thinking that they don't know any better.

What about corporate crime??

Those bastards cheat us. The cost of making a blank cd is a few pence. They rip us off, we rip them off. Those cheating fuckers should take it on the chin. But then again the people on the street are powerless. Corporations do whatever they want these days. The system is severely unbalanced

Guest Ancient Mariner
so c'mon folks' date=' make tapes![/quote']

I still make tapes! Good ole C90s! Most of the bands featured have long since gone to The Great Gig in the Sky, tho.

Such a crisis is exactly what humanity needs. Perhaps this blasted need to record music will cease, and we can return to a scenario where singers perform songs live in their own communities, i.e. the scenario which produced the great folk ballads of Scotland, which are still better than anything pop or rock has committed to CD.

That's quite funny' date=' coming from someone who says they are just making music "to have fun".

[/quote']

Even though i made no referenece to myself making music and just about industry...oh yeah that is funny

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

My what a sense of humour you have....

My point was that if all labels stopped completly (including minors) then it would be a shite site harder to hear any music....the grim reality is that alot of bands start looking for some sort of commercial success...if all labels disapeared...then so too would radio and so on and so forth until it would become near impossible to hear any music you like without spending a small fortune.....

I hate the fact that we have to pay a tenner for a cd....but its just something thats never going to change....

I hate the fact that we have to pay a tenner for a cd....but its just something thats never going to change....

Exactly. That would only change if people started giving out their music for free. But then they have to get a proper job to pay for equipment, recording time, distribution (even a website costs money) and at the end of it all, why the fuck should anyone want to give away the fruits of their labour for free?

It's shit that music has turned into such a business, but the alternative just isn't workable. Ideally people would pay their money directly to the artists and then CDs could be a fraction of the price and it would be the creative forces behind the music, rather than the marketing, that would benefit.

Gridlock, rather than moaning to us about why music should be free for all, why not moan to every single band or artist who has signed for a major label? After all, if they had stuck with a label that actually cares about music and takes chances with bands rather than just going for the most money, major labels wouldn't have a product worth selling in the first place and would surely eventually go bankrupt. An extremely unlikely scenario, but more likely to happen than music becoming completely free for all.

And as for album covers etc, there are some bands and labels that take the time to produce interesting sleeves. I know Ipecac Records for one try to release albums with non run-of-the-mill packages, and then there's people like Morrissey and the Manics who take time to find quotes and pictures/portraits to make albums more complete pieces of art. "Value adding tricks"? I sincerely doubt Sony told Richey Edwards to go and find a suitable quote to go along with each of the 18 songs on Generation Terrorists...

Such a crisis is exactly what humanity needs. Perhaps this blasted need to record music will cease' date=' and we can return to a scenario where singers perform songs live in their own communities, i.e. the scenario which produced the great folk ballads of Scotland, which are still better than anything pop or rock has committed to CD.[/quote']

Stop spikkin oot yer 'erse.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

This reminds me of the old "Home taping is killing music" bollocks you got a while back. I've seen the following slogan on more than one record:

"Home taping is killing the music business, and it's about fucking time"

Says it all for me. The vast majority of stuff I buy from distros is still on lovely vinyl and I will keep it that way. Glad to see on this thread that I'm not the only one still recording tapes for folk. Cassettes are severely under-rated. From a personal viewpoint, Spike's new release is 3 trax on a comp. tape which was released by a guy in Belarus. Money isn't exactly plentiful there so it's a good, cheap way of getting music released. There's a lot to be said for the humble tape. It's cheap, easy and small.

Guest Ancient Mariner
Stop spikkin oot yer 'erse.

I wouldn't expect you' date=' nor anyone who uses a website like this, to agree with what I said, but "Bonnie Udny" has more artistic merit than "She Loves You", "Stairway to Heaven", "Teen Spirit" or any of that [i']stuff . Ask the World's Oldest if he knows it.