aberdeen-music

Beach Ballroom

offramp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because... the million dollar man was shit! There was no good wrestlers in the mid 90s with the exception of Shawn Michaels' date=' and on a lesser scale, Davey Boy Smith and The Undertaker. It was all about stupid characters and less about actual physical ability, when did you ever see DiBiase do anything remotely impressive? And don't even get me started on the Ultimate fucking Warrior....[/quote']

mid 90s and Dibiase don't go together. Ted Dibiase has not wrestled since Summerslam 93 and not only did he have good charachter but he was a great technical wrestler. I enjoyed many a gimmick in the WWF in the 90s, though to say there was no gifted wrestlers is totally untrue...there was Bret "the Hitman" Hart leading the way, behind him Mr Perfect, Owen Hart, like you said...Shawn Michaels, Brittish Bulldog, Marty Jannetty, the Steiner Brothers, Rick Martel and although his wrestling ability was overshadowed by his gimmick, the original Doink the Clown was a great technical wrestler.

It took Undertaker a good few years to become a good wrestler. For the first 3 years in WWF he was slow and predictable (think of his matches with Kamala, Giant Gonzalez etc)

To be fair it sounds more like the guy was around long before Tatanka became a well-known WWF superstar so it'd be pretty hard to rip him off...

Ludvig Borga (a favourite of Cloud's for some reason...) was the man who first defeated Tatanka and ended his undefeated streak and he didn't disappear after that at all - he earned a world title match against Yokozuna at Madison Square Gardens and seemed on course to win before Mr.Fuji interfered. He also had that great storyline where he 'sold out' and proved that everybody has their price as he joined the Million Dollar Corporation and became another henchman of Ted Dibiase before leaving the company.

How can you say Million Dollar Man was shit? Shame be upon you.

I was shocked when he betrayed his friend Lex Luger and stuffed his mouth with dollars :(

I can't believe I didn't think of that... :dunce: D'oh!

Yeah, the guy I saw was really about 60 (the year was probably roughly 1989 - 90 and he was billed as the veteran Indian! How un - P.C. Remarkably, the guy in question was on The Wrestling channel the other day! But I forgot his name! Arrghh! Watch channel 427 whenever they have the classic British Wrestling on and you might just catch him! Or "Controversial" Spinner McKenzie! A wrestler so amazing he was caught outside the venue smoking a fag!

90's wrestling was non - technical as they had really just started to get massive audiences and I reckon they needed big guys with big moves to get the viewers interested. It wouldnae have been so effective showing a Canadian Crippler v Shelton Benjamin match - up as it is now, as folks who had not seen wrestling before would probably get bored really quickly. Were'nt the rockers an amazingly technical tag team with amazing high risk manouveres? Mr Perfect was pretty technical as well.

Incidently, can anyone tell me why WWE is not on on Saturday mornings anymore? The only WWE is a crap hour long round up thing.

No. Now go away.

Gladly....wrestling.... :rolleyes:

My Godfather used to be the caretaker at the music hall and they staged the pro wrestling there every week, it was the same rabble of fat old bastards who graced the saturday afternoon tv screens in the 70's....

And guess who has been present at rehersal's....yes they would choreograph the fight in the afternoon and perform it at night....what a crock of shite.

90's wrestling was non - technical as they had really just started to get massive audiences and I reckon they needed big guys with big moves to get the viewers interested. It wouldnae have been so effective showing a Canadian Crippler v Shelton Benjamin match - up as it is now' date=' as folks who had not seen wrestling before would probably get bored really quickly. Were'nt the rockers an amazingly technical tag team with amazing high risk manouveres? Mr Perfect was pretty technical as well.

[/quote']

My god....you really believe its real and not just some pumped up dancers with steroid throat performing with no music.....thats really sad!

We all know it's not real moron. However it does require skill, as anything that is rehearsed and demanding would, such as a martial arts display, or any kind of dance. There is technical skill involved, and these guys train all the time to perfect it. Wrestling is just as valid as watching a dance performance, or an organised martial arts performance.

As I like to say to non-believers, Wrestling is like Eastenders, but with people getting hit on the head with chairs.

OK I'll admit there were some good wrestlers in the nineties, but you got to agree that it was definitely more about stupid characters back then (Papa Shango, Doink the Clown, Repo Man, Skinner, Adam Bomb, The Legion of Doom, The Brooklyn Brawler, Razor Ramon, Hillbilly Jim, Irwin R Schyster, Nailz, Men on a Mission, The Bushwhackers to name but a few) than actual wrestling ability.

And who can forget Issac Yankem, Demon Dentist? Who I believe later became Kane.

Plus if you look back at Demolition they were just two fat guys who really couldn't wrestle.

I'd certainly rather sit down and watch the Matt Hardy, Y2J, Edge or RVD than any of that lot.

Fuck, I'd even rather sit through an Xpac match!

Still though, Vince does still pull out some shit characters from time to time, Heidenrieich for one pisses me off and is really just Sycho Sid reborn. And Simon Deane? Please....

PS anyone else agree that HBK has had some dodgy plastic surgery done?

As I like to say to non-believers' date=' Wrestling is like Eastenders, but with people getting hit on the head with chairs.

OK I'll admit there were some good wrestlers in the nineties, but you got to agree that it was definitely more about stupid characters back then (Papa Shango, Doink the Clown, Repo Man, Skinner, Adam Bomb, The Legion of Doom, The Brooklyn Brawler, Razor Ramon, Hillbilly Jim, Irwin R Schyster, Nailz, Men on a Mission, The Bushwhackers to name but a few) than actual wrestling ability.

And who can forget Issac Yankem, Demon Dentist? Who I believe later became Kane.

Plus if you look back at Demolition they were just two fat guys who really couldn't wrestle.

I'd certainly rather sit down and watch the Matt Hardy, Y2J, Edge or RVD than any of that lot.

Fuck, I'd even rather sit through an Xpac match!

Still though, Vince does still pull out some shit characters from time to time, Heidenrieich for one pisses me off and is really just Sycho Sid reborn. And Simon Deane? Please....

PS anyone else agree that HBK has had some dodgy plastic surgery done?[/quote']

yeah i reckon so.

X-Pac had some decent matches. WWE has some great talent right now...Edge, Christian, Kurt Angle, Kane, Hurricane, RVD, Booker T etc but I still think WWE is at an all time low. It's tryin to make stars out of too many wrestlers that havent really earnt their status as main eventers yet in my opinion by sticking inexperienced guys into main events. and Bradshaw is the worst champ ever.

We all know it's not real moron.

"moron" thats not very nice is it?

However it does require skill' date=' as anything that is rehearsed and demanding would, such as a martial arts display, or any kind of dance. There is technical skill involved, and these guys train all the time to perfect it. Wrestling is just as valid as watching a dance performance, or an organised martial arts performance.[/quote']

Good point! fair enough :rockon:

My god....you really believe its real and not just some pumped up dancers with steroid throat performing with no music.....thats really sad!

I think my fellow Wrestling comrades answered that statement quite well. But no, I don't think it's real. It reminds me of my now dead uncle who I used to watch it with most Saturday mornings who cunningly tried to teach me the whole good v evil thing thru the medium ofwrestling. I liked the characters - I now think wresting is the greatest pantomime you can watch on a weekly basis. It's a great bit of fun, and like someone else said, It's no different to Eastenders. It's certainly not a bunch of dancers, but I'm not sticking up for the fact they are just choreographed actors - that's all it is. And brute strength / stupidity / technical ability.

Nae wanting to be too negative here, but what's the point in getting invloved in threads if you're going to diss what others are talking about? Okay, It's hardly the most important (or relevant) topic, but some of us were enjoying sharing our opinions. Sorry to be a dick, but you came on to this thread looking for a reaction (with a semi - ironic posting) and couldnae take it when someone called you a moron?

I'm guilty of invading threads in the past - I winnae do it again as now I realise how annoying it is.

We all learn somehow............................

As I like to say to non-believers' date=' Wrestling is like Eastenders, but with people getting hit on the head with chairs.

PS anyone else agree that HBK has had some dodgy plastic surgery done?[/quote']

Good theory!

L.O.D. Stupid characters! Never! The greatest tag team ever! They were the ones for me - They looked amazing, had brilliant names, were "unhinged" but never heel characters and the Doomsday Device was a brilliant, original finishing move! I don't do "The Road Warriors," but L.O.D. were amazing, not stupid! R.I.P. Hawk.

And HBK has defo been under the knife!

I think my fellow Wrestling comrades answered that statement quite well. But no' date=' I don't think it's real. It reminds me of my now dead uncle who I used to watch it with most Saturday mornings who cunningly tried to teach me the whole good v evil thing thru the medium ofwrestling. I liked the characters - I now think wresting is the greatest pantomime you can watch on a weekly basis. It's a great bit of fun, and like someone else said, It's no different to Eastenders. It's certainly not a bunch of dancers, but I'm not sticking up for the fact they are just choreographed actors - that's all it is. And brute strength / stupidity / technical ability.

Nae wanting to be too negative here, but what's the point in getting invloved in threads if you're going to diss what others are talking about? Okay, It's hardly the most important (or relevant) topic, but some of us were enjoying sharing our opinions. Sorry to be a dick, but you came on to this thread looking for a reaction (with a semi - ironic posting) and couldnae take it when someone called you a moron?

I'm guilty of invading threads in the past - I winnae do it again as now I realise how annoying it is.

We all learn somehow............................[/quote']

Hmmm...let me see, I read a thread on a 'public' message board, I aired an opinion and made comment....you cant deny me that.... and the point I made was nicely covered by skull commander...he included a personal insult which isnt very nice and he apologised for it, I accepted his reasons for enjoying it and that should have been an end to it.....

My point is....what the fuck do you want from me, blood?

Hmmm...let me see' date=' I read a thread on a 'public' message board, I aired an opinion and made comment....you cant deny me that.... and the point I made was nicely covered by skull commander...he included a personal insult which isnt very nice and he apologised for it, I accepted his reasons for enjoying it and that should have been an end to it.....

My point is....what the fuck do you want from me, blood?

rock_wrestlemania2001.jpg

"And after the chair shot GraemeC is in terrible trouble with the Sharpshooter locked on in the centre of the ring!"