aberdeen-music

people who change every fucking detail of a shared drumkit then leave...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

...without putting anything back. Pete from WBL did this today and it really fucking pissed me off, if you are going to use your own bits and bobs and change every fucking bit of hardware to match your exact specifications then please at least have the decency to put everything back etc. Lots of drummers have done this in the past and I have spent about 10 fucking minutes sorting the kit out. Any other drummers experienced this? or guitarists had morons fucking around with your amp etc? I'm here to listen...

Guest The Dark Knight

whoa...

slow down there "Tommy"

you gotta show some love before you're shown some respect.

Don't go fucking this and moron that.

And no name saying please. It's pitiful.

Was there really any need to have the word "fucking" in the thread title?

no. there wasn't.

"Hey, I've noticed that quite a few drummers that change details of a shared drumkit don't put things back afterwards. Sometimes it takes me about 10 minutes to sort out which is a bit of an inconvenience as it eats away at my practice time. In future, I ask that you change the drumkit back to the way you found it, just as you'd expect people to do for you. Thanks."

Look at that for example!

It's pretty much the same thing as you typed out, only a lot more polite!

Maybe if you try this in future, people will listen and actually take note of what you're putting across.

:)

thank you.

at gigs if people are using my amp I tend to stick around and make sure they now what does what on it, and that there's no problems so I know it's gonna be ok when I go to use it. the only thing that really annoys me is when people use it as a table (still has a big stain on it from a pint glas at one gig) or people make it go pop when they finish using it (a certain dedalus guitarist does this every time I lend him the fucking thing).

but with everything in music a little consideration goes a long way.

Why should the drum kit be in your style?

What makes the way you play your kit right? Obviously you have a different set up to other drummers, that goes without saying and is of course totally fine. But why should the other drummers take time to change the kit back to the way you set it up?

Maybe after you play you should change it back to the way they set up?

And as for the amp comment, i find that pretty irrelevant. You mentioned someone's own amp and yet you're speaking about a shared kit, totally different kettle of fish.

Why don't you just try and be a little bit more patient with others and just chill the fuck out dude. It did, after all, only take ten minutes (max!).

I for one, as a drummer, like playing around with drums, set-ups etc, as im sure guitarists like tinkering with their amps etc, so why don't you just take that approach. Playing music, and everything associated with it is supposed to be fun after all!

If you are sharing an amp or a kit, you should be prepared to have settings changed, items moved, etc. That's why you write the settings you liked down.

You should however be shown the courtesy of having your equipment treated with respect. some muppet from a local band once put a bottle of beer on my amp and cab, spilt the beer all down the back of the amp. That's just rude and stupid. There are plenty places to put drinks when you're playing on stage. On top of expensive electrical equipment isn't one of them.

I don't quite understand what you expect to happen... If you're sharing a kit then I don't see how anyone can predict how the next guy wants it set up, so surely the best thing to do is leave it for him to do as he wants? You should be able to set up a kit from scratch in 10 mins, I don't see a problem with having to make your own adjustments before you play. If it's another drummer's kit I'm using I'll always ask before I move anything, and tell him what I've done after we're finished, but I'll leave him to put it back as he wants it. If it's a house kit, as long as it's left with all the necessary bits there for the next guy to set up I don't see what the problem is. If it was your own kit that he was using and you feel he abused it then you should be speaking to him about it. Getting all cross and stamping your feet about it on here doesn't do you any favours.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I'm not whining. It wasn't my kit either. If i'm using a shared kit and it's set up a bit differently to my usual tastes, i'll make a few minor changes to it, i won't replace half the stuff with my own stands for absolutely reason and change literally every single adjustable part of the drumkit, then leave it that way and take my own stuff off when i finish my set. This thread is not a bitch at Pete, he's merely an example which i used because it happened last night - lots of drummers have done this in the past to me.

Guest Scorge Spike

I usually take a shared kit as it is and make the best of how it currently configures - though if there's something about it that I really can't work around, then I'll change it and make the next user aware of what I've done. Though I would have thought that part of the skill of being a drummer is the ability to play unimpeded with a slightly different spec of kit?

Don't see what getting into a rage about it acheives, because that's the way it tends to be......

Originally posted by Scorge McBrain:

I usually take a shared kit as it is and make the best of how it currently configures - though if there's something about it that I really can't work around, then I'll change it and make the next user aware of what I've done. Though I would have thought that part of the skill of being a drummer is the ability to play unimpeded with a slightly different spec of kit?

Absolutely, if you have to you should be able to play a different kit. I once played a kit left handed at the Lemon Tree. A bit of flexibility makes life a lot easier.

I often find that if i do have to replace something, it IS for a good reason. Otherwise there'd be no point doing it?

And personally, if i have the chance to make the kit how I like (removing/addinga tom for example) then i'll strive to do that.

I don't see why i should change my playing style to make someone else's life easier. Maybe thats selfish, maybe not, but frankly i don't care, just change the kit back! IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!

Guest machinehead
Originally posted by Tam o' Shantie:

...without putting anything back. Pete from WBL did this today and it really fucking pissed me off, if you are going to use your own bits and bobs and change every fucking bit of hardware to match your exact specifications then please at least have the decency to put everything back etc. Lots of drummers have done this in the past and I have spent about 10 fucking minutes sorting the kit out. Any other drummers experienced this? or guitarists had morons fucking around with your amp etc? I'm here to listen...

i agree with this, theres been so much times the kit has had no toms on it, the cymbal stands ect is are lying everywhere and its a pain in the arse.

i must admit though i maybe leave the single pedal of the kit when i leave but thats only a little thing!

i get a bit pissed when people change my settings without telling me and then like i go onstage and it sounds pish.

that pisses me off. and also one time i let the guitar player of this shitty metal band that was playing before my one use my amp for thier set (you'd be a bit of a dick if you were just all like "nah you're not getting to use my amp"). i specificly told him not to turn the bass up any more than it was to avoid the switch fucking up, but guess what the fucker did? yup thats right he turned up the fucking bass and yup the switch fucked up leaving my amp unuseable for the rest of my set. not only that but i just happened to have a spare strap with me which i lent him and a lead. and all he needed to do was keep the bass down to 8. bastard.

Guest machinehead
Originally posted by Leckie Gilman:

i get a bit pissed when people change my settings without telling me and then like i go onstage and it sounds pish.

that pisses me off. and also one time i let the guitar player of this shitty metal band that was playing before my one use my amp for thier set (you'd be a bit of a dick if you were just all like "nah you're not getting to use my amp"). i specificly told him not to turn the bass up any more than it was to avoid the switch fucking up, but guess what the fucker did? yup thats right he turned up the fucking bass and yup the switch fucked up leaving my amp unuseable for the rest of my set. not only that but i just happened to have a spare strap with me which i lent him and a lead. and all he needed to do was keep the bass down to 8. bastard.

haha thats funny cause that was the guitarist from my band. oh and that was our 1st gig, we're a lot better now! not my problem that the amp couldn't handle metal!!!!

On the drum note if your using a shared kit I thought it was expected that everything gets changed. At Drakes the difference between set ups can usually be great and it doesn't seem to cause too much problems...aslong as people take their stuff off sharpish what's the prob. It doesn't take that long to change between kits...we've changed a 5 piece set up with 6 cymbols, double bass, different snare and different hats to a 4 piece with 3 cybols pretty sharpish without any one getting pissed off as far as I know...

As for lending equipment you gotta be carefull...beer always seems to be a problem out drummer had someone spill a pint over his snare which was pretty annoying for him...though he's had to problem lending cymbols to people like the Switchblades and Atom drummers...if I use someones amps I tend not to touch the settings unless really needed and if I do they go right back...aslong as they say that's cool...you can kind of tell what a person is going to be like with your stuff and aslong as you tell them straight...and if they do not do as you ask then turn it off and tell them where to go...

Guest babyshambles

This reminds me of cynical internet morons that wouldn't say 1/10 of the things in real life that they say online *sigh* I hate it when people try to mess with my tamporine, I mean, what the fuck, it's not you tamporine, it's my tamporine.

Originally posted by machinehead:

haha thats funny cause that was the guitarist from my band. oh and that was our 1st gig, we're a lot better now! not my problem that the amp couldn't handle metal!!!!

If you borrow a piece of equipment from someone and they ask you to treat it in a certain way you should either respect that and do as they ask, or not use that piece of equipment.