aberdeen-music

Amp settings

torn

Mine's pretty str8 forward...

Ibanez RG470 with EMG85 or RG2620 (soon to be with Seymour Duncan Invader) into MXR Distorion + (both outputs (Level & Distorion) at max) which then goes into a Marshall DSL 50 then thru a Vintage Marshall 4X12. All always thru the bridge pickup for a tight punchy sound.

All controls on guitars are at 10 (even tho there's only volume on the 470) and are slung lower than Kris'. :p

Marshall is at:

Pres: 2

Treb: 2

Mid: 5

Bass: 8.5 for 470 and 6 for 2620

Deep: In

Tone: Out

I only use the clean channel since I use a pedal and normally Gain is: 7 and Vol 6.5

Reverb: 2

Originally posted by Kryys With No Plecs':

Now this is interesting.

My current set up:

Marshall, DSL 50 - Running through a Marshall 4x12 bass cab.

Presence - 6

Bass - 4.5

Middle - 6.5

Treble - 7.5

Reverb - 3.5

Gain - 6

Volume - 5.5

Vox AC30, through the brilliant input

(approx.)

Brilliant - 6

Treble - 7

Bass - 4

Cut - 6

...because of volumes I need to give this bad boy an extra little push, so I use an Ibanez Tubescreamer, level set at about 3, tone and drive about mid-way.

I also use a Boss DD3 which I run straight into the front of the amp (well the A/B/Y box), for extra warmth and fatness when required.

My main guitars are les pauls, strung with D'Addario 11 - 49's.

Slung low, rocked hard!

I have a very hard attack, as well as the fact I've opted for raising my neck pick up and lowering the bridge for a very bass heavy 'woody' sound.

I'm very particular about my gear and tone.

:angel:

hey, why do you run the DD-3 into the front of the amp now?

cos i'm not there to turn it on ;)

i can get a very Watson-esque tone from my Sunburst Tele when i use the neck pickup. It ain't raised as high as yours... in fact, it sits flush with the pickup mounting ring.

Its quite impressive that, for a rock player, your main pickup is the neck pickup. not many rock guitarists do that anymore... its all out bridge humbuckers.

I really like the middle pickup setting. its really nice... sound really ace for bluesy rock riffs.

When you gonna be modding that Tele of yours? whats the plans for it?

I just hope some of our younger viewers aren't getting the impression that there's only one way to EQ. Shit, if that's true why don't we all superglue the pots right now.

It depends on the GUITAR, CABINET AND ROOM. The reason people give you shit to play with is so you can use those big flappy things on the side of your head to judge wether it suits these criteria.

Sorry guys, just been listening to some extremely bad guitar sounds.

You know the sort: combine harvester shred levels played through a tin can attached to the PA with a piece of string and a special tin can-XLR adaptor.

Guest redmeat

I read an article ages ago on the Fender website (I think) about how to EQ an amp.

It went something along the lines of: Start by playing the open E and A strings on your neck pickup and increase the bass control on the amp until it starts to sound boomy, then back it off slightly. Then use the middle pickup (it assumed we're all strat players!), play the D and G strings and increase the middle control until it sounds honky (I paraphrase) then back it off slightly. Finally, use the B and E strings with the bridge pickup, increase the treble until it sounds brittle, then back it off a bit.

Personally, I start with my usual settings then tweak them (sometimes quite a lot) according to the room/stage sound/whatever but I thought the article was quite interesting anyway.

Originally posted by redmeat:

I read an article ages ago on the Fender website (I think) about how to EQ an amp.

It went something along the lines of: Start by playing the open E and A strings on your neck pickup and increase the bass control on the amp until it starts to sound boomy, then back it off slightly. Then use the middle pickup (it assumed we're all strat players!), play the D and G strings and increase the middle control until it sounds honky (I paraphrase) then back it off slightly. Finally, use the B and E strings with the bridge pickup, increase the treble until it sounds brittle, then back it off a bit.

Personally, I start with my usual settings then tweak them (sometimes quite a lot) according to the room/stage sound/whatever but I thought the article was quite interesting anyway.

Interesting. I wonder if it works? It could be a good way of getting a basic sound out of someone else's amp quickly. Do any of you guitar types want to try that and let me know.

for bass i usually have a sort of parabola (if that's what you call it) going form highish bass, down to middle then up again to treble, if you see what i mean. then i bugger about with the controls on the bass to get the right tone. still, i've never managed to totally convince myself that i know what i'm doing!

Originally posted by soundian:

Interesting. I wonder if it works? It could be a good way of getting a basic sound out of someone else's amp quickly. Do any of you guitar types want to try that and let me know.

I tried it at practise the other day - i only have one pickup but i tried it anyway...

The resulting sound was too boomy and unclear so I changed back to my normal settings and all was fine...

Originally posted by Craig Quik:

I tried it at practise the other day - i only have one pickup but i tried it anyway...

The resulting sound was too boomy and unclear so I changed back to my normal settings and all was fine...

Mmm. I wasn't holding out much hope for it being a short-cut, but still ,that's only one person, anyone else tried it?

Originally posted by redmeat:

well, i would try this, except i dont know what "boomy" , "honky" or "brittle" mean.

redmeat, you can just give me your settings, and ill adjust them for my cab, hoho.