aberdeen-music

Confirmed Death Toll

Birdman

I dont mean to make light of this tragedy in any way because it truly is appaling for something of this ferocity to take away such a vast quantity of lives....however look at these figures

CONFIRMED DEATH TOLL

Sri Lanka: 18,706 dead

Indonesia: 27,174 dead

India: 4,371 dead

Thailand: 1,516 dead

Maldives: 52 dead

Malaysia: 44 dead

Burma: 30 dead

Bangladesh: 2 dead

Somalia: 100 dead

Kenya: 1 dead - What was this guy doing exactly, it makes you wonder. Must suck being the only one dead in your country. Sort of like the odd one out. He must be gutted!

Seychelles: 3 dead

Tanzania: 10 dead

(not birdman)

i was going to be going on a "family holiday" to Sri Lanka this Christmas...but i decided that i couldn't be asses sitting on a plane that long...*is so glad she came to this decision*..so we obviously didn't go..

..but yeh, it's bizarre how thousands can die in one country, and one in another.. :(

Guest tv tanned

it's all to do with the fact that the waves would have wreaked their destruction on other areas and would have been reduced by the time they hit places like Kenya.

Equally it should be borne in mind that this is by no means the final death toll so the one individual in Kenya may not be the only one who dies, although one hopes otherwise.

Guy I know is off to Sri Lanka to do aid relief on behalf of Oxfam.

..ah, yes, i'm not good at the not being dumb thing...so things like that take a while to come to me...

the whole thing is such a catastrophy...it's scary, that the weather, something that affects everyone everyday..could cause something so terrirble, especially because you can't control the weather..i'm probably making no sense, i know what i mean!...

Guest tv tanned
..ah' date=' yes, i'm not good at the not being dumb thing...so things like that take a while to come to me...

the whole thing is such a catastrophy...it's scary, that the weather, something that affects everyone everyday..could cause something so terrirble, especially because you can't control the weather..i'm probably making no sense, i know what i mean!...[/quote']

It is one reason why I do not moan too loudly about things, we should all realise how lucky we are.

If I could afford to do it, I'd be volunteering to go out there right now.

It is one reason why I do not moan too loudly about things' date=' we should all realise how lucky we are.

If I could afford to do it, I'd be volunteering to go out there right now.[/quote']

so true, we all take everything for granted...as cliche as that sounds, it's totally true, i know i do

..ah' date=' yes, i'm not good at the not being dumb thing...so things like that take a while to come to me...

the whole thing is such a catastrophy...it's scary, that the weather, something that affects everyone everyday..could cause something so terrirble, especially because you can't control the weather..i'm probably making no sense, i know what i mean!...[/quote']

It was nothing to do with the weather......do you read a newspaper...ever...?

It was caused by an earhquake under the indian ocean you clot.

It was nothing to do with the weather......do you read a newspaper...ever...?

It was caused by an earhquake under the indian ocean you clot.

i can't read danish, and as i'm in denmark, it makes the whole process difficult...and i didn't mean like -the weather- i was just usuing an example, i just don't say what i mean very well...like, earth quakes, hurricanes, flooding etc..."natural distasters"...they're immense and scary, cos they can't be prevented/stopped..that's what i meant

Guest tv tanned
i can't read danish' date=' and as i'm in denmark, it makes the whole process difficult...and i didn't mean like -the weather- i was just usuing an example, i just don't say what i mean very well...like, earth quakes, hurricanes, flooding etc..."natural distasters"...they're immense and scary, cos they can't be prevented/stopped..that's what i meant[/quote']

true to an extent, although our gradual destruction of the atmosphere, raping of natural resources and general over-consumption of nasty shit is contributing to climate change, which in turn leads to certain natural disasters becoming far more frequent.

Take mudslides, for example. And flooding. Both are attirbutable to mankind's inability to protect the environment due to the selfish pursuit of material goods, and while not strictly preventable, their impact and frequency could be reduced.

true to an extent' date=' although our gradual destruction of the atmosphere, raping of natural resources and general over-consumption of nasty shit is contributing to climate change, which in turn leads to certain natural disasters becoming far more frequent.

Take mudslides, for example. And flooding. Both are attirbutable to mankind's inability to protect the environment due to the selfish pursuit of material goods, and while not strictly preventable, their impact and frequency could be reduced.[/quote']

...the worst thing, is that the people paying for "mankinds mistakes" are people in countries such as Sri Lanka, where they can't really be accused of half of the things that people in "western civilisations" can be...

Guest tv tanned

exactly.

we stole most of the natural resources from these places, consumed them over here, and have left them to suffer the consequences, for the most part. Now these countries have no natural resources to significantly industrialise, and to top it all off we have polluted the world so much that we are now telling them they cannot industrialise because of the harm it would do to the environment.

the whole thing is such a catastrophy...it's scary' date=' that the [b']weather, something that affects everyone everyday..could cause something so terrirble, especially because you can't control the weather..i'm probably making no sense, i know what i mean!...

and i didn't mean like -the weather

Oh I'm sorry....you seemed quite specific!

No No...thats ok....you said "the weather" but didnt mean "like -the weather-"

How stupid of me not to understand... :rolleyes:

..i never once said that you were stupid, or even implied it...i implied i was stupid more so than you.... :stupid:

a tsunami (biggest oceanic wave possible) can be caused by the mere fluttering of a butterflies wing on the opposite side of the world, it doesnt need to be caused by something as huge as itself. its a phenomenon, and whilst it is such a tragedy all those people died it's also an amazingly natural catastrophe which was never caused by human error. :)

manure?! don't see what that's got to do with it..

It appears to be issuing from you're keyboard....

go have a look on the net for educational reasons' date=' u can find out quite a lot of lovely information which im sure your little brain will cherish with all its cells and such-like :rolleyes:[/quote']

ok I did and came up with "A tsunami (pronounced tsoo-nah-mee) is a wave train, or series of waves, generated in a body of water by an impulsive disturbance that vertically displaces the water column. Earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, explosions, and even the impact of cosmic bodies, such as meteorites, can generate tsunamis. Tsunamis can savagely attack coastlines, causing devastating property damage and loss of life."

No mention of butterflies their then.....It could be that you're "little brain" is full of them.

It appears to be issuing from you're keyboard....

ok I did and came up with "A tsunami (pronounced tsoo-nah-mee) is a wave train' date=' or series of waves, generated in a body of water by an impulsive disturbance that vertically displaces the water column. Earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions, explosions, and even the impact of cosmic bodies, such as meteorites, can generate tsunamis. Tsunamis can savagely attack coastlines, causing devastating property damage and loss of life."

No mention of butterflies their then.....It could be that you're "little brain" is full of them.[/quote']

oh dear oh dear, go look again.. you will find it somewhere, that with the right atmospheric pressure, the shudder of a butterfly can cause enough energy to be dragged into a frequency with can cause a tsunami to take place.