aberdeen-music

Queen on tour!!

scottST

Well' date=' the news seems to be out .... Roger spilled the beans on his interview with the Wettendass Web-page gal .... so I endorsed it.

And this time it's not just a rumour. We are in the process of looking at venues for a QUEEN tour in the spring. It really all came about because of the Fender 50th Anniversary gig that I did with Paul Rodgers. We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on in All Right Now, that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was "something happening here". And if we were to play together some more, which we both thought was an exciting possibility, who would be the drummer ??? Well, the expression "No Brainer" comes to mind. Then the UK Hall of Fame awards just came up out of the blue. Apparently we had won one of the categories and the request was there for us to play. I had already had the conversation with Roger at this point, about how brilliant Paul Rodgers was, and, since, very conveniently, he had also been asked to be there, we agreed we would ask Paul if he would team up with us for this event.

The rest in a way is already History. The show went so incredibly well from our point of view, and we got so many rave reactions from out there, we decided almost then and there that we would look at a tour together.

This is what we have been doing over the last two or three weeks, looking at venues, discussing how we might approach our collective material, etc. etc.

It's very exciting .... ever since the run-up to that Awards show, I felt in my waters that something big and scary was happening. Scary because as soon as you press the button for something like this you set a massive juggernaut into motion which cannot be stopped ! So bang goes the home life, and anything else we might have planned for the coming months. Suddenly the QUEEN Phoenix is rising again from the ashes, and will take precedence over everything in our lives. So be it. So there ya go. I won't go into more details right now, but, barring accidents, QUEEN and PAUL RODGERS will be on the road, pretty much for sure, around April 2005.

[/quote']

brilliant!!!!

I saw them in 2001 with Bruce Dickinson, Paul Young and a few other vocalists taking the lead , they're worht seeeing but don't expect the Queen of old, so much of that is Freddie you do notice the huge loss. I think i will be up for this as Paul is a favourite vocalist of minem, I've seen Brian live 4 or 5 times and Roger a couple. should be a great night.

Cheers

Stuart

No its never going to be the Queen of old.. But I saw them play on the Hall of Fame thing and a VH1 special with Paul Rodgers, and they were sounding very good indeed... And I don't say that from a biased point of view. Brian was sounding huge as per usual, but I was impressed by Paul Rodgers. He was flamboyant, had stage presence and a great voice.

They would only do a tour like this if they felt confident it was right and if they feel that the chemistry is strong enough to make a significant comeback... I dont blame them, they beat the likes of Led Zep and so on to that Hall of Fame thing, their We Will Rock You musical is smashing records down in London and soon will in Broadway (its opened in 6 countries now), you had G4 on X factor singing Queen tunes the alst few weeks... people are listening to their music again on a wider basis... And you may despise the whole X Factor and Hall of Fame thing, but they did it anyway.

Good luck to them, they are talented, and they obviously just want to get back and Rock... and I will be there to see it!

No its never going to be the Queen of old.. But I saw them play on the Hall of Fame thing and a VH1 special with Paul Rodgers' date=' and they were sounding very good indeed... And I don't say that from a biased point of view. Brian was sounding huge as per usual, but I was impressed by Paul Rodgers. He was flamboyant, had stage presence and a great voice.

They would only do a tour like this if they felt confident it was right and if they feel that the chemistry is strong enough to make a significant comeback... I dont blame them, they beat the likes of Led Zep and so on to that Hall of Fame thing, their We Will Rock You musical is smashing records down in London and soon will in Broadway (its opened in 6 countries now), you had G4 on X factor singing Queen tunes the alst few weeks... people are listening to their music again on a wider basis... And you may despise the whole X Factor and Hall of Fame thing, but they did it anyway.

Good luck to them, they are talented, and they obviously just want to get back and Rock... and I will be there to see it![/quote']

Totally agree, not sure they should use the Queen name as only 50% of them are doing it tho, I've been lucky enough to see and meet them a few times through various gigs as well as making a drunken twat of myself in front of Roger Taylor a few years ago at an SAS Band gig - which if you're a fan you should check out the SAS Band, www.sasband.com they are amazing and I've seen them 6 or 7 times - always an amazing show.

I remember watching the expo guitar legends show in Seville in the early 90's when you had the song 'Tie your mother down' played by Tony Iommi, Brian May, Joe Walsh, Slash, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, that was something else and vocals were sung by Brian and Paul Rodgers if i remmeber, drums by Cozy Powell i think. My first ever gig was Brians first ever UK solo show so it should be a cracker.

Queen were the first band I ever got into and i still count one of my prized possessions as the signed copy of the Smile Album on vinyl i have signed by Roger, as far as i know the only copy of tis album he has ever signed. The album is rare enough, i really should get it valued...

Cheers

Stuart

Totally agree' date=' not sure they should use the Queen name as only 50% of them are doing it tho, I've been lucky enough to see and meet them a few times through various gigs as well as making a drunken twat of myself in front of Roger Taylor a few years ago at an SAS Band gig - which if you're a fan you should check out the SAS Band, [url']www.sasband.com they are amazing and I've seen them 6 or 7 times - always an amazing show.

I remember watching the expo guitar legends show in Seville in the early 90's when you had the song 'Tie your mother down' played by Tony Iommi, Brian May, Joe Walsh, Slash, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, that was something else and vocals were sung by Brian and Paul Rodgers if i remmeber, drums by Cozy Powell i think. My first ever gig was Brians first ever UK solo show so it should be a cracker.

Queen were the first band I ever got into and i still count one of my prized possessions as the signed copy of the Smile Album on vinyl i have signed by Roger, as far as i know the only copy of tis album he has ever signed. The album is rare enough, i really should get it valued...

Cheers

Stuart

Aye I knwo what you mean bout the whole name thing. At the end of the day though, John Deacon has retired to be with his fmaily, but his permission has always been seeked before Brian and Roger have done anything. And Freddie is dead, and he famously said before his death that he didn't want the band to stop. Plus, Paul Rodgers was one of his favourite performers, so i think he would appreciate it. My personaly view is they should sue the Queen name, and USe It proudly, even if it's something like Paul Rodgers & Queen or whatever... But I guess its just a matter of opinion. Its not liek the other two were split form the band after falling out, and theres no royalty battles or anything like that.

The SAS band are indeed very good... Just wish they would come borth of the border a little more often...

i reckon they'll bill it as somethin like "Queen with Paul Rodgers".....

I think they should form a new band, Queen was Brian, Roger, John and Freddie, not Brian, Roger and whoever else they feel like. It's kind of like the Thin Lizzy tribute band to me that's going around, Queen was the magic around those 4 people this is Queen lite and however good Paul is he's no Freddie and howeveer good Neil Murray or Steve Barnacle are they're no John Deacon.

Cheers

Stuart

The SAS band are indeed very good... Just wish they would come borth of the border a little more often...

I think they've only played live once up here before, the Edinburgh Usher Hall in 2000, tho they were meant to be playing a few private corporate shows a year or so back which i got an invite to through Fish but they got cancelled dammit. To catch the SAS Band at its best you should try and get to a Chiddingfold Christamas show, i was down to all 3 a few years ago where the perfromers onstage were: Fish, Roger Taylor, Leo Sayer, Paul Young, Stevie Vann, Tom Robinson, Mark Shaw, Chris Thompson and loads of others, an amazxing night to see them all together for the finale singing 'a little help from my friends'.

Cheers

Stuart

I think they've only played live once up here before' date=' the Edinburgh Usher Hall in 2000, tho they were meant to be playing a few private corporate shows a year or so back which i got an invite to through Fish but they got cancelled dammit. To catch the SAS Band at its best you should try and get to a Chiddingfold Christamas show, i was down to all 3 a few years ago where the perfromers onstage were: Fish, Roger Taylor, Leo Sayer, Paul Young, Stevie Vann, Tom Robinson, Mark Shaw, Chris Thompson and loads of others, an amazxing night to see them all together for the finale singing 'a little help from my friends'.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Nice one... That sounds like a show... I will def look into that. I have heard clips and so on, but never actually seen a show... hmm...

Nice one... That sounds like a show... I will def look into that. I have heard clips and so on' date=' but never actually seen a show... hmm...[/quote']

Worth trying to get 'The Show' DVD, well worth it, and you can't go wroing musically with Spike Edney, i mean the guy's a legend he was Queen's keyboard player and the bands he's played with is like a who's who...

Cheers

Stuart

Yeah Spike is indeed a very useful man to have aorund... Brian May still refers to him as the 5th member of Queen' date=' and their 'Secret Weapon'. Thats a glowing recommendation if I ever heard one...[/quote']

He's a really nice bloke too, he invited us to the after show party after one of the SAS Gigs which was the most surreal experience ever, discussing the state of scottish football with Fish and Damon Hill and then chatting to Roger Taylor about recording and general stuff. It will be one of my best memories.

Cheers

Stuart

I think they should form a new band' date=' Queen was Brian, Roger, John and Freddie, not Brian, Roger and whoever else they feel like. It's kind of like the Thin Lizzy tribute band to me that's going around, Queen was the magic around those 4 people this is Queen lite and however good Paul is he's no Freddie and howeveer good Neil Murray or Steve Barnacle are they're no John Deacon.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Scott Gorham is enough to be Thin Lizzy :p

Is this going to be a Queen tour doing old Queen songs with a replacement singer, or Queen moving on and doing new stuff with a 'new' singer?

I hate old bands that trade on former glories, but if they come up with something new then I'll at least respect them a bit. I suspect though, that if they use the name Queen at all, then the fans are gonna demand the classics. brrr....

I once supported The Sweet, which was basically just Brian Connolly and three young session guys which was a bit sad, especially as he was well fucked by then and couldn't even hold a glass of water without dropping it. I notice The Sweet are advertised as playing at the Music Hall soon, I dread to think what that'll be like.

Is this going to be a Queen tour doing old Queen songs with a replacement singer' date=' or Queen moving on and doing new stuff with a 'new' singer?

I hate old bands that trade on former glories, but if they come up with something new then I'll at least respect them a bit. I suspect though, that if they use the name Queen at all, then the fans are gonna demand the classics. brrr....

I once supported The Sweet, which was basically just Brian Connolly and three young session guys which was a bit sad, especially as he was well fucked by then and couldn't even hold a glass of water without dropping it. I notice The Sweet are advertised as playing at the Music Hall soon, I dread to think what that'll be like.[/quote']

I would take a guess it'll be a greatest hits tour with both Free/Bad Company songs and Queen ones, tho it also wouldn't surprise me if they do some new stuff too, but the chances are that the majority of the set will be older stuff. This is why i think they should change the name,

Cheers

Stuart

Scott Gorham is enough to be Thin Lizzy :p

Nope, he's enough to be Scott Gorham, he was one of 2 guitarists, does that mean the far superior Brian Robertson is alson Thin Lizzy...

'I'm thin Lizzy ... and so's my wife...'

The only mainstays of the band were Phil Lynott and the drummer (who's name escapes me, Brian Downey possibly), they're the only 2 that were there for the duration so without them any band is a poor tribute show - which was exactly what it was whhen they played Moshulu, a terrible legacy from a once great band !!

Cheers

Stuart