aberdeen-music

Amps?

imprinted

I'm looking at (finally) getting a guitar amp because i'm fed up running my guitar through my crappy bass amp. (and i broke the good amp as well :( ) so i was looking for recommendations - i'm trying not to spend more than 250 on one and it will possibly be used for gigging so It doesn't have to be quiet - the most "bang for the buck" (arf!) is what i'm looking for. It doesn't matter if it has onboard effects and i'm not really interested in a good reverb since i never really use it! brand names are also unimportant, but volume and a good tone are essential!

been looking at Crate, Line six and Hughes&Kettner amps

Crate GT 212

Line6 Spider II 112

and from an american website (that i think do shipping to the uk) the H&K Warp7 212 combo ($299 - shipping could put it above budget...)

any other suggestions?

Mark

Guest DustyDeviada

Well I have a Crate VC50 and it's ace. It's an all valve amp from around 95 though, so I don't know what their newer solid state stuff sounds like.

I would agree that you would be better off spending your money on something second hand. 250 should get you a good valve amp second hand, whereas brand new you are going to be in strictly solid state territory for gigging levels of wattage.

My tip would be to check out ScotAds, a lot more gear in there than the P&J/EE.

thing is...i quite like solid state amps (yeah yeah i know - clearly never played a Valve amp at gigging volume etc etc :p ) and i know i'm a clumsy bastard who wouldn't ever do the warm up/standby thing and just ruin the valves!

I've played a crate amp before and really enjoyed the sounds i got out of it - does this make me a bad person?

I also tried the bigger version of the Line6 Spider and thought it was great - especially with the guitar that i was playing (schecter C1 Elite - gorgeous! ) but wasn't impressed with the little version of it (the 30W (??)) as Tav will testify. It had this thing that whenever you changed the channel it leapt up to full volume...nae fine!

and Paul - i've been looking at Randall amps as well ;) fight you to get there first! :laughing::)

Guest DustyDeviada

Well if you're happy with solid state then good luck to you, 250 should get you a good example from that genre.

There's a guy selling a Marshall MG100DFX in the classifieds for 150, and I can personally vouch for that amp as I sold it to him a while back!

(BTW I take no responsibility if he's fucked it in the interim)