aberdeen-music

Anyone work at Big W?

Djamba

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, they don't have strange interviews..

first up, they do the standard interview thing of making you answer a few questions and do some maths on a bit of paper, nothing special, it's usually conducted as part of a group.

if you get through that, they interview you one to one - which is just normal.

incidentally, i strongly, strongly recommend you don't go near customer services - the 3 for 2 offers never, ever work properly and the department is usually badly staffed regardless of which Big W it is - and i'm reliably told that they're obsessed with sales here too, often meaning that the front end staff get it from the managers for not being quick enough.

nah' date=' they don't have strange interviews..

first up, they do the standard interview thing of making you answer a few questions and do some maths on a bit of paper, nothing special, it's usually conducted as part of a group.

if you get through that, they interview you one to one - which is just normal.

incidentally, i strongly, strongly recommend you don't go near customer services - the 3 for 2 offers never, ever work properly and the department is usually badly staffed regardless of which Big W it is - and i'm reliably told that they're obsessed with sales here too, often meaning that the front end staff get it from the managers for not being quick enough.[/quote']

They're interviews are retarded. I'm not an especially intelligent person, but the group interview I was in made me feel like a genius. The maths test, fair enough, the "individual" interviews were ok despite the fact that someone else was being interviewed by some other member of staff 2 foot away and the added annoyance of this person being a question behind me and simply repeatig everything I said and adding a few touch ups. All this I could deal with. What I could not deal with was the "lets insult eveyones intelligence" group exercise. My advice to you here Iain is to be as stupid as possible and agree with the neds. When forced to choose what 5 things to take on a boat with no sails and no hope of reaching land, take the compus for atleast you will know which way is north as you freeze to death in your paddle boat. When a shark bites one of your friends arm off give him some brandy, this will clearly stop the bloodloss and prevent shock.

I can't believe I never got that job. I led I tell you, I took those people to a place of safety but I did the unthinkable thought for myself. Questioning the rationale of such silly games isn't advised. Simple answers for simple jobs. Although I'm sure you could just seduce the women with your mexican looks.

Good luck.

Yeah, Big W is very "big" on not encouraging their workers to do anything but be drones - it's almost a guarentee if you take a job there that you'll run into a mindless zombie who's supposed to be better than you - i had this one cunt who thought he was ace because he ran a tiny DIY department AND he thought he could interrogate me about whether i'd seen this woman steal stuff or not. i told him a pack of lies in exchange for his attitude - yeah, i'd seen her steal stuff, but given his attitude of "you WILL tell me what you saw and you WILL sign this statement", along with attempting to force me into saying that i had seen her steal - he wasn't getting anything of any use off me.

in short, big w is an awful place to work, and it shows on the sales. they have no concept of using staff effectively, i remeber one time the aforemented cunt came up and goes "why aren't you on a till?"..i was like "the till coordinator wifey reckons i'm better off sorting out the front end department and helping staff out as and when required" - he wasn't in charge of the department at the time (they'd left me practically in charge of the tills, which was ace), so he tried to tell me to go onto a till - then tried to argue with me over whether it was an effective solution to have me on a till when it meant there was no-one to help the staff on the tills when needed.

oh, and it will undoubtably piss you off that half of the mere minion staff are brighter than anyone with any responsibility. thankfully though, my contract expired and it meant i could leave without having to quit :)

oh and another thing - they won't bend over at all for you. i was on the student association executive in college, and when i was in a short notice meeting as far as what we were gonna do to the college because they'd screwed over people with their busaries, i didn't get out till half an hour after i was due to work..i called them in advance and said "look, i might be late in"..got in, and got a lecture about how i had a contract and how i had obligations to meet..i pointed out how there was people on the verge of being kicked out of their accomodation and going hungry because of the college and how i had an important part to play, only to get "oh, it's their fault, it's not your responsibility" without even asking what exactly i had to do on the executive :|

i cannot *stand* people who live by the rulebook and refuse to apply some common sense. as it was, the customer services manager overheard the conversation and asked if i would be willing to work until midnight to make up for being half an hour late..i was like "yeah, sure" and he was perfectly happy, just shows that some people live for petty rules :s

Unfortunately beggers can't be choosers. I'm completely strapped for cash.

offer to work 6-12pm at night (if Big W is doing until midnight every night here...i worked in the one in edinburgh, so i dunno) - it's worth 33 to you if you're over 18.

for all i'd slate big w for, at least they pay well.

It sounds like everywhere is as bad as each other - Safeway' date=' Big W, Asda...

How do the more brainless managers get to where they are anyways? My old manager used to write out huddles with words like 'recieve', 'wearhouse' and 'innteragation' :rolleyes:[/quote']

I've had a look at manager positions.

You need lever 3 training and above y'know.*

Not as easy as it sounds ;)

*level 3 training is a nice way of phrasing... you need some standard grades. i.e: a pulse.

dunno about any of these weird math test things.

But I got my interview there only a month ago and it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

Basically, you're sat in a group with about 7 or 8 other people. First things first you get a casual talk about Big W and it's aims/goals etc.

Next you do some team building exercises. What I had to do was turn to the person next to me and ask them a bunch of questions and write down the answers. That person will then ask you questions and write down your answers (questions involve name, age, hobbies etc.) After that, one by one, you're made to stand up in front of the group and read out what you've written down to describe the person you were sitting next to.

After this I was split into a group of three. We were then given certain products to try make a presentation out of. My group picked this Cow shaped Kettle. We basically just wrote down everything on the box, and then did a little summary of it, which had to be read out to the group.

After that we got our individual interviews. Thankfully I had a room to myself. The interview process is fairly simple. They will ask you questions such as "what would you do in this situation" etc. So be prepared to come up with something good. Also, like any interview, SELL SELL SELL yourself. The more shit you spout off, the more interest in you you'll gain.

I got called up about 3 hours after my interview and was told I got the job (despite them saying I'd get a call in a week or so). I've just finished my 4th week (tomorrow) which means PAY DAY! ^_^

If you can, beware of the Duty Manager Martin. He's just creepy. Everyone else is really friendly, which is always a bonus!

Good Luck! :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It sounds like everywhere is as bad as each other - Safeway' date=' Big W, Asda...

How do the more brainless managers get to where they are anyways? My old manager used to write out huddles with words like 'recieve', 'wearhouse' and 'innteragation' :rolleyes:[/quote']

The huddle! I remember the bullshit that my department manager used to come out with, "Remember colleagues, we are all one team". My reply of "It would be great if all the team members got paid the same, wouldn't it?" was received rather stonily.

I used to work in Woolies in peterhead and in the interview there i had to go on the shop floor to ask a customer what they thought of the shop' date=' how they could improve it, that sort of bollocks. not sure if it is the same with Big W though.

Danny Doubt, you work with Martin O'Dell?[/quote']

Indeed I do. Sound guy.

If you can' date=' beware of the Duty Manager Martin. He's just creepy.[/b']

Holy FUCK that guy is fuckin weird. Today in the warehouse me some other dudes were getting some tvs down from the racking in the warehouse...he just stood there an looked at us for 5mins and did not flinch. I'm sure he's a paedophile!

He's like Mr Deeds' servant he's sneeky...he just like sneeks up on you! Fuckin weird.

Logan wot department u on?

good advice...kill urself before the induction!

Holy FUCK that guy is fuckin weird. Today in the warehouse me some other dudes were getting some tvs down from the racking in the warehouse...he just stood there an looked at us for 5mins and did not flinch. I'm sure he's a paedophile!

He's like Mr Deeds' servant he's sneeky...he just like sneeks up on you! Fuckin weird.

Logan wot department u on?

good advice...kill urself before the induction!

I work in TOYS! ^_^

Yeah' date=' I had fucking Martin with me like, all day! He just wouldn't leave me alone! He made me feel like it was my first day and I didn't know a thing. I've been there a month now, I'm pretty sure I know how things go. He's just a nightmare to work with. And yes, he is fucking WEIRD! >_<[/b']