aberdeen-music

poor recorded covers.....

delboy

in 1991 between hitching round europe and moving to Ulllapool in the Highlands, for some unknown reason known only to me i recorded a tape of covers (I was still writing at the time and on the other side there's songs i wrote meself)

anyhow the songs i truly murdered....

Blowin' In The Wind (Dylan) - If You Could Read My Mind (Lightfoot) -

Van Diemans Land (U2) - Leaving On A Jet Plane (Denver) - Streets Of London (McTell) -

Hitsville U.K (The Clash) - Me And My Bobby McGhee (Kristofferson) -

Open Your Heart (Oakey/Callis/Wright) - Leaving On A Dubplane (Denver)

still sounds funny as fuck today mind....

anyhow the point, what covers have you recorded? good or bad!

my old band once decided at a soundcheck to play a cover which we found in a '101 hits for buskers' book. Some song called 'It Must Be Love' by a guy called Labi Siffre. Piece of piss to play, so we did it at the gig that night, went down a storm. Didn't have a clue what it was until loads of folk came up raving about us playing our 'unique interpretation' of a Madness song...

Covers I've recorded.......

"Francesca" (Roy Harper......weak effort by me)

"Black-eyed Dog" (Nick Drake....tape stretched so tune varies in pitch)

"Ask me no questions" (Bridget St John...done it twice-most recently with Philip on tooteroos)

"Ride a Whie Swan" (T Rex....piss-poor attempt)

"Stumbling on" (Lal Waterson.....reasonable effort, I think)

"Stardancer" (Tom Rapp....appeared on a covers album in the USA)

"Les Ans" (Tom Rapp...also on another covers album, alongside Thurston Moore)

"I am a baby" (Daniel Johnston.....appeared on a covers ep with Half Japanese etc)

I do some of the above live occasionally, plus "Don't ever go" by Jeff Kelly (which I'm going to record this weekend), and "See my friends" (Kinks).

Guest DustyDeviada
we used to do a cover of the 'Fresh Prince Of Bel Air' theme tune. it was horrible live and the recorded version sounds worse.

"Used to"? Didn't you guys play that at your gig with us at the Malt Mill last month?!

And Del, sounds like you're a bit of a closet folkie!

Guest stuartmaxwell
aye' date=' but we don't play it anymore. well, not in Aberdeen anyways. we played it in Perth and Brechin and i think that may have been its last outing.[/quote']

ha ha ha ha ha ha :laughing:

I've seen Jo doing the first bit of 'Smelly cat' in front of 1000 people and i'm pretty sure she did the first few lines of 'My lovely horse' to a bemused dutch audience, apart from that the covers she usually does are cake: friend is a 4 letter word and the Pixies - Wave of Mutilation. She has also played 'our smile' by Fish when she played with some of his band memebers and she did an amazing version of 'the show must go on' by Queen when she guested with the Skyline Drifters in Birmingham.

cheers

Stuart

Guest neil ex

i do an amazing version of 'after hours' by the VU *ahem*. GOFONES used to play a pretty crap version of the 'what's the story in balamory' thene tune, but we scrapped it after getting bottled off stage at a working man's club in glasgow.

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah that sounded a nightmare

what about the cover of the classics "carried away by a moonlight shadow" when you played the sydney opera house, i heard that people were moshing so much that the place started to crack

Guest DustyDeviada
I've seen Jo doing the first bit of 'Smelly cat' in front of 1000 people and i'm pretty sure she did the first few lines of 'My lovely horse' to a bemused dutch audience' date=' apart from that the covers she usually does are cake: friend is a 4 letter word and the Pixies - Wave of Mutilation. She has also played 'our smile' by Fish when she played with some of his band memebers and she did an amazing version of 'the show must go on' by Queen when she guested with the Skyline Drifters in Birmingham.

cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Jo and I dueted on a version of Kiss by Prince at the Cults Academy school disco in 1993. I have video evidence! (Including me "dancing" at the "Think, I better dance now" segment, unfortunately) :(

Jo also won the Cults talent show in 1992 by performing Stairway. I have that on video too, but I'm not sure where it is.

Jo and I dueted on a version of Kiss by Prince at the Cults Academy school disco in 1993. I have video evidence! (Including me "dancing" at the "Think' date=' I better dance now" segment, unfortunately) :(

Jo also won the Cults talent show in 1992 by performing Stairway. I have that on video too, but I'm not sure where it is.[/quote']

I think those should be on her website, its only fair, if you can find them run me off a copy ;)

cheers

Stuart