aberdeen-music

Synthesiser lessons

-L-

i thought it was rather funny myself. Personal opinion only, but I consider synthesizers an area of experimentation anyway - there is no teaching. If you were offering piano/keyboard lessons, then fair enough. Are you offering an introduction to synth technology, i.e. MIDI, sound modules, synth software/hardware, etc.? If so, perhaps you should make that clearer.

i thought it was rather funny myself. Personal opinion only' date=' but I consider synthesizers an area of experimentation anyway - there is no teaching. If you were offering piano/keyboard lessons, then fair enough. Are you offering an introduction to synth technology, i.e. MIDI, sound modules, synth software/hardware, etc.? If so, perhaps you should make that clearer.[/quote']

My apologies. I am offering my services as a guide to exploring the options that programming a virtual analog synthesiser presents. It is not my intention to tell people how to program, more to show them the way to creating their own sounds.

I also teach people how to use a sequencer, how to use a mixer, and some basic production skills. The course also covers samplers, drum machines, a variety of effect units, and covers both hardware and software synthesisers.

10 an hour is pretty reasonable imho - for a piano lesson from a qualified instructor I am informed the going rate is in the region of 80 an hour. In any event, if after the first lesson (which is free) you decide that it's not what you were hoping for, there is no obligation to continue the lessons.

-L-

oops, me scam detector just went off

tell you what, for 2 pounds 99 ill give anyone a photocopy of some random synth operating manuals covering everything from MIDI sequencing, Programming, Beat Programming, Sampling, Analogue synthsesis, FM sysnthesis, Wavetables, VA Synthesis etc. Owning or having access to a synth might also be useful to potential candidates.

But to be honest you would be better off reading a some web articles and some magazines. There's this erm ''search'' button thing at the top of your screen......

There is no black art to playing a synthesiser, theres so much information available I cant see why anyone would need ''lessons''.......... you just need a manual and the ability to press the buttons, click a mouse or even press those black and white things on the front of the synthesizer in some kind of order that is pleasing to the human ear

In the same vein, you can buy "teach yourself guitar" books and so forth.. even books to teach you how to speak spanish or how quantum mechanics work. But there is genuine benefit to be had from having a dedicated teacher. I am simply offering a service to anyone who is interested.

-L-

I just mess around with my synth really, create bizarre sounds and patterns

I can see why these lessons aren't deemed a stupid idea. I am pretty much a narrow-minded synth user, with no real sense of direction as to what I want to achieve and create with my Roland. It would be good to be shown pathways on how to use the oscillator, external and internal clocks, mod grip etc. to your own accord

But no thanks, I don't have money to pay for that

Guest neil ex

10 an hour is pretty reasonable imho - for a piano lesson from a qualified instructor I am informed the going rate is in the region of 80 an hour.

80 an hour? is that piano lessons with elton john or something? when i used to get piano lessons they were no where near as expensive as that, and my teacher was qualified.

You could get piano lessons for 10 per half hour if your lucky. More likely to be nearer 15. Except an old woman I used to get form when I was young who charged like 4 ;)

I played a synth today and couldn't really do much with it as both myslef and the bloke in RnB hadn't the first clue about them. I'm gona buy a 'Korg Microkorg' - Well I'm told thats a good value 'un. Probably just figure things out thats generally what I do. If someone wants synth lessons though I can't see why not - you can get lessons in pretty anything. Some get bogged down in complicated manuals!

In the same vein' date=' you can buy "teach yourself guitar" books and so forth.. even books to teach you how to speak spanish or how quantum mechanics work. But there is genuine benefit to be had from having a dedicated teacher. I am simply offering a service to anyone who is interested.

-L-[/quote']

there is the slight difference in that playing guitar requires a bit of muscial theory, some manual dexterity, a lot of pain (initially) and lots of practice - wheras a synth is a lot more user freindly and gets quicker results and can be understood quite easily by anyone who can read with half a brain.....like everything else, some people make them sound shit and some people can make them sound good, but thats called creativity and Im not sure if that something thats actually teachable

a lesson or two in programming sounds and connecting midi for sequencing might be useful, but it would only take a couple of hours for that...still thats 20 quids worth

I consider someone who is "good" at programming a synthesiser to be someone who can think of a sound in their head, and then make that sound using a synth. It is entirely possible to achieve this level of competance - I do it all the time. My primary goal as a synth teacher is to help others towards this particular echelon with a wide variety of synthesisers/effects.

Harry - it's good to hear that there are people out there making their own way. If you can persuade the government or your parents or whoever to fund your lessons, I would be pleased to help you. Even if you can't, you're still welcome to come along for the first free lesson. :)

Bryn - Again, I'd be happy to give you lessons to help you to be able to create the sounds you're looking for. If you want some free advice on what sort of synth to buy, I'd be happy to have a chat with you about it. Synths vary quite a lot from model to model.. if making your own sounds is appealing to you, you're best to go with a virtual analog synth, for example..

My number - 07779 151094

-L-

Korg MS2000, and Reason's subtractor and malstrom softsynths.

It's true to say that synths are all different, but with analog/virtual analog synths there are a lot of things that are the same.. the principles behind oscillators, lfo's, envelope generaters, filters, etc are pretty much the same from one synth to another. Although the interface may be slightly different, the course is also intended to illustrate the differences, and show students how to adapt their synth "skillset" from synth to synth. It's really not much of a consideration to be honest. ;)

-L-

That's like saying' date=' "Isn't being in Point Of Origin/Driveblind/Quik enough?!" when someone asks if you're qualified to give guitar lessons.

Granted, Starfall use synths, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they use them in a totally virtuoso manner, or, indeed, as the main emphasis of their musicI always felt that they were there as a backing to the guitar riffs.

But just because your band uses an instrument doesn't instantly qualify you as capable of teaching others to use said instrument; it's like saying that everyone who can use a computer would do a good job of teaching others to use them, and that's patent bullshit.

Andwhilst my knowledge of synthesisers and such is [i']very limitedI would tend to agree with spellchecker and betamax in that you can't really "teach" someone to play a synthesiser, though I concede learning production and programming skills would be a worthwhile use of time and finances.

As a point of interest, which drum machine did Starfall formerly use, prior to the signing of a drummer?

i assumed rob was being sarcastic.

since when did starfall have a real drummer? this i would go to see.