aberdeen-music

Bands Moving Labels

Stephen

Rise Against on Geffen too. I don't like it. I mean many bands have made sucessful leaps to major labels (green day for instance) but the majority of the emo/hardcore bands who are moving are going to be left in debt and without a label which they can call home in a couple of years when this whole emo craze finally dies (hopefully soon) and the majors find a new kind of music to make money from.

Guest allsystemsfail

This issue was covered in quite some depth a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, if we're talking bout punk/hardcore acts, then jumping to a major involves some betrayal - a betrayal of the ethics upon which the DIY punk underground was founded.

Majors have also no interest in community, in the movement's politics. They seek only to exploit and manipulate, their primary interest in extending profits. In their hands punk becomes just product, a thing of no substance or value.

Guest allsystemsfail
True but sometimes in order for you to get your music heard major could be the only choice. Not always the case though. Nofx for example.

While I do understand this dilemna, I still believe it a compromise too far. And, as you've shown, there are a lotta HUGE indie punk acts out there - some, like NOFx, who are way bigger than many of those outfits who have chosen to jump to a major.