aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe' date=' got a bit carried away with the "little brat" theme...

Seriously though, I've been reading through a lot of the things that rune has posted on these boards and I can't believe how egocentric he is. It makes good reading - do a search for his posts and then sit back and enjoy as he contradicts so many of his own points and delves ever further into self-righteousness :up:

His ability to hijack a normal thread and turn it into his own propaganda is unparalleled.[/quote']

You must have alot of time on your hands. Another relevant post on "the music scene"

Sad little man

Guest stuartmaxwell
So how would you feel if a band you really like couldnt tour due to lack of gig interest?

These bands need merchandise sales to support their tour you know.

People who just turn up for their mates band would have no interest in this.

has happened many times, many. trhe amount of bands i have seen who pay to no-one as there has been an exodus of bands mates etc etc, thats the way it goes

you have to look at the promoter on tthat one thoughm, line ups should be set so that the touring bands are sandwiched in between the local bands if it becomes a problem

this problem happens everywhere, that is why bands tour for years before they build a fan base, if everybody was there for the music then most bands would be huge instantly

most of bands mates have no particular interest in music and are there to support their friends, they couldnt give a toss about the other bands and the scene and how uncredible it is to leave..... blah blah, im in danger of turnign this post into a flasth@TMB sized novel post so ill stop

You must have a real low iq level. My point is that im sick of bandwagon bands churning out the same crap which does nothing to enhance the music scene' date=' alot of these musicians and cant perform, they are an insult to real musicians.

[/quote']

Explain to me what you mean cant perform and are you meaning just in aberdeen or in general?

has happened many times' date=' many. trhe amount of bands i have seen who pay to no-one as there has been an exodus of bands mates etc etc, thats the way it goes

you have to look at the promoter on tthat one thoughm, line ups should be set so that the touring bands are sandwiched in between the local bands if it becomes a problem

this problem happens everywhere, that is why bands tour for years before they build a fan base, if everybody was there for the music then most bands would be huge instantly

most of bands mates have no particular interest in music and are there to support their friends, they couldnt give a toss about the other bands and the scene and how uncredible it is to leave..... blah blah, im in danger of turnign this post into a flasth@TMB sized novel post so ill stop[/quote']

You make a good point tho, you cant just expect people to have any interest in you just because you are a "touring band" and i think some people forget this.

As for mates at gigs, so what it happens get over it. There is nothing wrong with people coming to see their mates bands and then leaving, they are there for one reason only as is said they prob dont give a shit about the music at all, they are just interested in seeing their mates. If they want to leave it is their loss having paid the full door price to only see one band.

Guest stuartmaxwell
You make a good point tho' date=' you cant just expect people to have any interest in you just because you are a "touring band" and i think some people forget this.

As for mates at gigs, so what it happens get over it. There is nothing wrong with people coming to see their mates bands and then leaving, they are there for one reason only as is said they prob dont give a shit about the music at all, they are just interested in seeing their mates. If they want to leave it is their loss having paid the full door price to only see one band.[/quote']

exactly my point but no doubt rune "look at me, i am a remote idiot" knucklehead 3rd will have a half arsed answer to it

has happened many times' date=' many. trhe amount of bands i have seen who pay to no-one as there has been an exodus of bands mates etc etc, thats the way it goes

most of bands mates have no particular interest in music and are there to support their friends, they couldnt give a toss about the other bands and the scene and how uncredible it is to leave..... blah blah, im in danger of turnign this post into a flasth@TMB sized novel post so ill stop[/quote']

That still doesnt make it right. It's not the promoters fault that you get ignorant people at gigs. It happens everywhere? Didnt happen at the seafood gig in glasgow. People watched the support and the main act. No one left early or turned up late

Just in general

Live performances by people who think they can play. One for example is POD.

If its in an established bands case like POD then there usualy is no excuse, maybe they had an off night, but younger bands need a chance to get their live performances up to scratch there is no better way to improve your live performance than to gig.

If its in an established bands case like POD then there usualy is no excuse' date=' maybe they had an off night, but younger bands need a chance to get their live performances up to scratch there is no better way to improve your live performance than to gig.[/quote']

That's fair enough

That still doesnt make it right. It's not the promoters fault that you get ignorant people at gigs. It happens everywhere? Didnt happen at the seafood gig in glasgow. People watched the support and the main act. No one left early or turned up late

How are they ignorant they dont pretend to care about the music they are there to watch their mates and nothing more. they dont say they wont like the other bands without listening they just dont give a shit, but so what!!! it happens!!!

As for that glasgow gig well you've given us one example out of how many gigs happen everyday in britian so i dont really think that proves anything.

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah but look at the size of glasgow, look at the size of seafood, look at the size of degrassi

all band swho have had a shiteload of press over the years, whereas many bands who play drakeas (D.IY i believe you mentioned) havent

im not blaming promoters in any way, i just think sometimes they could do a bit more to support bands (i.e. sandwiching, choosing relevant bands for touring acts-im all for varied line ups but i dont know if its something thayt should happen with touring bands if it can be helped-i think)

How are they ignorant they dont pretend to care about the music they are there to watch their mates and nothing more. they dont say they wont like the other bands without listening they just dont give a shit' date=' but so what!!! it happens!!!

As for that glasgow gig well you've given us one example out of how many gigs happen everyday in britian so i dont really think that proves anything.[/quote']

So you don't regard this as disrespectfull? Don't you think that they could actually hear something new that would appeal?

So you don't regard this as disrespectfull? Don't you think that they could actually hear something new that would appeal?

Of course i do everytime we play tho it happens, of course i hope that some of these people will stay and pay attention to my band as well as their mates but i dont moan about it all the time, i just get on with it.

The way i see it if they dont know who we are then we need to do more to promote our band to make sure next time they will stay and give us the chance to impress them.

yeah but look at the size of glasgow' date=' look at the size of seafood, look at the size of degrassi

all band swho have had a shiteload of press over the years, whereas many bands who play drakeas (D.IY i believe you mentioned) havent

im not blaming promoters in any way, i just think sometimes they could do a bit more to support bands (i.e. sandwiching, choosing relevant bands for touring acts-im all for varied line ups but i dont know if its something thayt should happen with touring bands if it can be helped-i think)[/quote']

True glasgow is a big place, i really dont regard seafood as a big name band tho.

All of the people i know have never heard of them. Putting main bands in the middle would help the aberdeen scene tho. True again smaller bands need better promotion, its sad to see little known bands that are very good get small audiences and little success.

Of course i do everytime we play tho it happens' date=' of course i hope that some of these people will stay and pay attention to my band as well as their mates but i dont moan about it all the time, i just get on with it.

The way i see it if they dont know who we are then we need to do more to promote our band to make sure next time they will stay and give us the chance to impress them.[/quote']

Yeah that's a fair comment

Also nine times out of ten these people make it possible for these gigs to go ahead. Take them out of the door sales and i think you would find the scene would die down significantly as promoters couldnt afford to put on heaps of gigs to no-one.

These people arnt ignorant or disrespectful they just dont have the passion for live music like me and probably you which means they are harder to get interested in you.

Talk about arguing the pointless...!

Alternative music has become a populist fashion again, much like in the early 90s with grunge, like the mid 80s with metal, and the 70s with punk. I remember not that many years ago when I would positively await with excitement the next Good News To The Sick or Reck 'n' Roll gigs at the old Drakes bar, because there were no other gigs of the like. Sure, you could go see some covers band someplace, but... Before too long word spread, more and more people wanted to come to Drakes and more and more bands staged their fledgeling gigs there. Who remembers the first Dangerfields gig or Cormak lying atop the bar singing "I believe in Rock 'n' Roll"?? Ruptured Spleen? TAR? (and I know there are a great many more people who these days talk about TAR gigs than actually went to them...)

And so the "scene" has grown from that, pretty much. Other venues have followed suit and looked to emulate the success of the Drakes legend and current standing. Many more bands have sprung up, and they now have a wider choice of venues to play and a bigger crowd than they might have had some 5 years ago. At the same time, the mainstream has again tapped the alternative music, and so kids get in on the act long before they ever hear about "Dr Drakes" and "cool local bands".

But, the down side is that many of them are not in it for the love of just music. They're in it for the fashion, the membership of the "scene", to try and emulate their heroes, etc. They will only go to a gig if they think enough of their friends are going, if that band is "cool" to like, and they will only be interested in sticking around for that one band. Yes, it's disheartning to see half the audience leave before you go on, but I'd personally rather play to 20 fans than 50 dis-interested "bodies". The time will no doubt come when alternative is no longer the chosen alternative, and the scene that people love so much will shrink and maybe dissappear again. But, there will still be the diehard musos who love playing music and love seeing bands who will keep some gigs on the go, somewhere.

Then eventually, the cycle will repeat.

Talk about arguing the pointless...!

Alternative music has become a populist fashion again' date=' much like in the early 90s with grunge, like the mid 80s with metal, and the 70s with punk. I remember not that many years ago when I would positively await with excitement the next Good News To The Sick or Reck 'n' Roll gigs at the old Drakes bar, because there were no other gigs of the like. Sure, you could go see some covers band someplace, but... Before too long word spread, more and more people wanted to come to Drakes and more and more bands staged their fledgeling gigs there. Who remembers the first Dangerfields gig or Cormak lying atop the bar singing "I believe in Rock 'n' Roll"?? Ruptured Spleen? TAR? (and I know there are a great many more people who these days talk about TAR gigs than actually went to them...)

And so the "scene" has grown from that, pretty much. Other venues have followed suit and looked to emulate the success of the Drakes legend and current standing. Many more bands have sprung up, and they now have a wider choice of venues to play and a bigger crowd than they might have had some 5 years ago. At the same time, the mainstream has again tapped the alternative music, and so kids get in on the act long before they ever hear about "Dr Drakes" and "cool local bands".

But, the down side is that many of them are not in it for the love of just music. They're in it for the fashion, the membership of the "scene", to try and emulate their heroes, etc. They will only go to a gig if they think enough of their friends are going, if that band is "cool" to like, and they will only be interested in sticking around for that one band. Yes, it's disheartning to see half the audience leave before you go on, but I'd personally rather play to 20 fans than 50 dis-interested "bodies". The time will no doubt come when alternative is no longer the chosen alternative, and the scene that people love so much will shrink and maybe dissappear again. But, there will still be the diehard musos who love playing music and love seeing bands who will keep some gigs on the go, somewhere.

Then eventually, the cycle will repeat.[/quote']

You speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

Wishbone Ash play O'donaghue's on the 24th Oct. I'm willing to bet it will be wall to wall.

And you have musical talent enough to define what actual musical talent is.......*ponders*

For the record I listen to emo/post hardcore/screamo/.......insert your own-core music myself' date=' but it wasn't what I used to listen to, and I don't just listen to the above, I listen to bands that I find talented and PERSONALY enjoy. Most people will listen to music based on personal taste, there are a few who will do something because its trendy, but ultimately its down to your choice what you do, and let no MAN judge you. Spend your time enjoying your own music without bitching about music you dislike (especially since you don't even bover to add constructive criticism.)

Martin x[/quote']

If you as you state listen to hardcore, then why dont you and your scener pals go see hardcore bands at drakes? I guess thats not fashionable enough for you.

I would say its because you seek out name bands and shun the others. So you dont see your taste as being trendy, but you only go to name bands that are known in the scene. Think that makes your claim look silly.