aberdeen-music

recording live stuff?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Why is everyone under the impression that they are somehow entitled to be recorded for free and then given the tracks to do with as they please? That was NEVER part of the deal.

we weren;t syaing that. we were gonna ask for the mx on a DATtape if possible and pay you for it, then get one of our own producer type guys to mix and master it for us.

we weren't expecting this all for nothing.

but also, if Mark charges 25 an hour.wheres 100 per song coming from. 4 hours on one song??

Filthpact are recording with Robin Sutherland who has worked with Laeto, Kaddish, Jesus Elephant God etc I should of explained better but we're getting this a mates rate(100) as he is a close friend of ours, normally charging 60 a day, he holds various sound recording qualifications and does both live and studio work for a living.

Anyway i wasn't trying to stir trouble merely explain that much as we'd like to, the possibility of spending 100 on a live recording isn't one we can afford.

We're all looking forward to our gig at the moorings next month a change of scenery will be good.

we weren;t syaing that. we were gonna ask for the mx on a DATtape if possible and pay you for it' date=' then get one of our own producer type guys to mix and master it for us.[/quote']

Sorry but no can do. There are plenty of places that offer a low cost recording service. There are no other venues in town that offer a high quality live recording facility. The production part of the deal is Mark's venture. I don't have the time or the energy to go exporting everyone's tracks off to DAT tape every week. And if I started doing this then EVERYONE would expect it. That's why we've elected not to charge for the recording part of the process, cos then we aren't under any obligation.

we weren't expecting this all for nothing.

Sorry' date=' that comment was general. Believe me it was not aimed at you.

but also, if Mark charges 25 an hour.wheres 100 per song coming from. 4 hours on one song??

Yes, that's how long it takes to produce something to a high standard. I know, I've just sat through it twice LOL. This is applying lots of attention to detail, but the results are worth it.

This is not intended to be a budget recording and production service - exactly the opposite. We're busy people, and only prepared to devote our time to something that's really special. I hope everyone can understand this. It's luxury goods.

EDIT: I just reread this whole thread and realised that some of the comments people posted were not intended as negatively as I originally interpreted them. Feel bad now :(

You might want to look out for issues regarding the Data Protection Act, not to mention copyright law. It is arguable (i'm not joking) that the live recording can be attributed as "identifiable data", that is, data that can be used to identify a data subject (e.g. vocal tracks). In such a case, if you intend to record a live performance, then I think two things are requisite by law:

1. You must be registered as a Data Controller with the Data Commissioner.

2. Data subjects have a legal right to obtain all personal data held by you, the controller on them, the data subject. The maximum amount you can charge for a request for personal data by a data subject is 10 I think.

A further legal problem is one with copyright. If a band plays a cover in their live performance, then there may be some legal issue with recording it. I'm not quite sure about exactly what it contravenes in terms of copyright, but I know that around 7 or 8 years ago when the Pelican were putting on live bands, they stipulated that you absolutely must not play covers in your set, if you wanted the set recorded.

Obviously, this would only apply if a performance has actually been recorded. However, by ultimately restricting rights to recorded material (or if both the recording is deemed as identifiable personal data, and you are not registered as a data controller), you may be breaking the law.

You'd obviously want to check all this out with some legalese person.

Here's some information on the Data Protection Act 1998 (can't remember if it's been updated since then):

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm

Anyway i wasn't trying to stir trouble merely explain that much as we'd like to' date=' the possibility of spending 100 on a live recording isn't one we can afford.

We're all looking forward to our gig at the moorings next month a change of scenery will be good.[/quote']

Hey no worries I could see where you were coming from. I'm really looking forward to you guys playing. The last time other Dave played was with Vomitus and that was one of my favourite gigs of the year, and certainly among the most entertaining. I'm hoping that Flithpact are equally good.

Heh heh - if you are then there's a possibility that MTA may decide to do a freebie - but that's his decision, and there's lots of factors involved. Either way we'll still turn on the recorder, and that alone should elicit a great response from the crowd - whatever comes of it.

Ooops I hope you didn't think that the soup kitchen comment was directed at your engineer. Shit - that wasn't intentional either LOL. Honestly!!! I'm not having a good day am I LMAO. Appologies.

See you on Saturday!

So there you go folks. It's the law that all recordings must be handed over for a tenner. Next time a studio records you, tell them to fuck off with the bill, take them to court, and have them charged with breach of the DPA 1988. ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously though, we are registered with the Data Protection Act, but not for this reason. Strangely enough this is something that I am on intimate terms with. Fortunately it does not apply in this instance but I can't be arsed going into details.

We do not record covers.

You might want to look out for issues regarding the Data Protection Act' date=' not to mention copyright law. It is arguable (i'm not joking) that the live recording can be attributed as "identifiable data", that is, data that can be used to identify a data subject (e.g. vocal tracks). In such a case, if you intend to record a live performance, then I think two things are requisite by law:

1. You must be registered as a Data Controller with the Data Commissioner.

2. Data subjects have a legal right to obtain all personal data held by you, the controller on them, the data subject. The maximum amount you can charge for a request for personal data by a data subject is 10 I think.

A further legal problem is one with copyright. If a band plays a cover in their live performance, then there may be some legal issue with recording it. I'm not quite sure about exactly what it contravenes in terms of copyright, but I know that around 7 or 8 years ago when the Pelican were putting on live bands, they stipulated that you absolutely must not play covers in your set, if you wanted the set recorded.

Obviously, this would only apply if a performance has actually been recorded. However, by ultimately restricting rights to recorded material (or if both the recording is deemed as identifiable personal data, and you are not registered as a data controller), you may be breaking the law.

You'd obviously want to check all this out with some legalese person.

Here's some information on the Data Protection Act 1998 (can't remember if it's been updated since then):

[url']http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm

Also you can record what you like. it just what you do with it that matters. The recording is owned by the equipment owner, We have used this in the past in the studio for record co's who are late in paying.. We know the legal stuff as we have both been doing it for some time.

Dave you couldn't give your body away to a charity shop the state it's in :p

ehy, science would LOVE to get a hold of my body. if they do experiments to find out how the fuck I am still alive with ym diet and way of living,t hey may be able to develop a drug of some sort that helps people to live for longer. Just cos you're a healthy cunt.

Unhealthy people fetch more money. Like Lemmy.

**smoking guns, mofo!**

ehy' date=' science would LOVE to get a hold of my body. if they do experiments to find out how the fuck I am still alive with ym diet and way of living,t hey may be able to develop a drug of some sort that helps people to live for longer. Just cos you're a healthy cunt.

Unhealthy people fetch more money. Like Lemmy.

**smoking guns, mofo!**[/quote']

So breathe more hairspray and live longer I guess.

Sorry folks I made a post about 2 hours ago that was a little harsh. I failed to say what I wanted to and suceeded in saying things that I didn't intend to. Just went back and read it and felt ill LOL.

I've edited it extensively and removed the soup kitchen comments and references to other places.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, even Dave.

You know I preferred this website when Moshulu had a forum and everyone picked on them ROFL.

Something I think is worth adding...

I've heard impressive tracks from Exile, pretty much everything to come out of the Mill sounds good, and the stuff I've heard by the new engineer at Tom's (I think his name is Paul) is also really well done. But I've also heard the recordings that Mark has done - err who hasn't? Most of us have at least one in our collection. Check the engineering and production credits on the back of some of your CDs. Those recordings blow my mind.

For the past 2 years I've been doing the sound in The Moorings. Most people agree that I do a reasonably competetent workman like job. BUT having watched (and listened to) Mark in action these past 6 months, it's apparent that no matter how hard I study, I will NEVER be that good. It's like watching Michael Schumacher drive a race car... no contest.

Every day I buy my lunch at The Earl of Sandwich. They are the best sandwich shop in town IMO. It costs me a fiver. Very occasionally I'll hanker for something a little better and I'll go to Bistro Verdi, The Lairhillock, or Rustico. MMMmmm but it costs me 10-20 for a main course. Still worth it as a treat. BUT There are places down South with umpteen Michellin stars that charge 100 for a main course. One day I'll visit such an establishment - just once. I want to know what it tastes like. I want it to blow my mind.

It's kind of the same thing with this live recording melarky. If I was in a band, then I'd want a least one live track produced by the best producer we had access to when we were on top of our game. Beforehand we'd practice really hard to make sure the band was tight as fuck. The difference is that a CD lasts a lot longer than a meal. It's a snapshot in time, and wouldn't it be great to have the best possible sound extrapolated from that performance. 100 - cheap at twice the price.

If you were to phone up Sawmills Studio where Mark works, and ask to book an afternoons recording and production with him... they charge you hmm 500 maybe? More?

Now I doubt very much that Mark's going to be in Aberdeen forever. That leaves a limited window of opportunity to work with him. Go ahead - treat yourselves!

I hope this explains why we've installed this recording equipment.