aberdeen-music

Feed It Back

Paulscoconutass

Problem:

At the lemon tree on thursday night i seperienced the worst (and most annoying) feedback i've ever had. My amp wasnt overly loud and my guitar hadnt picked up anything this bad before.....

And whats more annoying is that none of the other bands got it on the night. Would it have been the guitar through the p.a?

I'm well confuzzled.

Guest neil ex

i don't know, your guitar sounded really distorted, maybe a bit overly distorted i thought....

maybe if you turned the distortion down on your amp? you weren't using a distortion pedal were you?

i usually have the gain on my amp set to about 3 or 4, and you can get a really heavy sound from playing with that

personally i like to play with alot of feedback so i thought your guitar sounded alright on thursday night, sometimes it can sound bloody awful though (i'm not talking about your guitar there, cause that's the first time i ever saw you play)

gain at 10? your asking for trouble there!

back it off to about 7. you'll still get a good distorted sound with a bit more definition on your notes.

i have the gain at my amp on about 8 and it sounds a bit over distorted. so i usually back it off depending on my surroundings

Guest Kryys With No 'X'

It's most definately your gain. There is never need to crank the gain up that far. You'll lose all definition, and I'm presuming you're using a solid state amp? Personally I find there's little definition on those things anyway, it all just turns to mush. (Valve purist, sorry)

Trust me, I turn my gain up to six at the most. In a live situation I tend to turn the volume on my 50w valve head up to 7, which is very loud...yet I never experience feedback problems, ever!

Originally posted by Kryys With No 'X'

It's most definately your gain. There is never need to crank the gain up that far. You'll lose all definition, and I'm presuming you're using a solid state amp? Personally I find there's little definition on those things anyway, it all just turns to mush. (Valve purist, sorry)

Trust me, I turn my gain up to six at the most. In a live situation I tend to turn the volume on my 50w valve head up to 7, which is very loud...yet I never experience feedback problems, ever!

I'm with Kris on this one.

but then again.... he listens to me cos he's my bitch

Guest iamkelly
Originally posted by Kryys With No 'X'

spot on. You're asking for trouble if you turn the gain/distortion up past 7/8, even if you're volume is low. The feedback stems off of the amp not being able to determine between soundwaves (whether you are asking it to pump up distortion or volume, it has no clue) (to an amp, it sounds the same at that level of distortion.) If you turn your distortion down to about 6/7 (8 sometimes depending on the head), you can pretty much play around with volume all you want, and you shouldn't get feedback at all. note: you could expect to get feedback when the distortion is around 7/8 and your volume is way up, 8/9 maybe.

Though saying that, I was playing a strat through a big AVT at Drakes, had the gain at 2, channel vol about 6 and the master at 9 and it could feel it feeding back. My SG doesn't do that.

Probably a combination of sheer volume + distance from amp (about 3 feet) and single coils.

Didn't sound too bad though ;) - Hendrix style feedback baby.

Gain structure.

Basically speaking, your gain amplifies the input signal to the electronics in the amplifier. The volume determines how loud this will be after all this electric trickery. If you have the gain set high you're asking the electronics to work past their designed specifications, resulting in unwanted noise.

It all depends on the guitar too. Ones mans nice distortion is another mans piercing feedback.

I doubt if the PA was to blame although putting guitar through monitors can sometimes exacerbate any existing problem.

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo

Though saying that, I was playing a strat through a big AVT at Drakes, had the gain at 2, channel vol about 6 and the master at 9 and it could feel it feeding back. My SG doesn't do that.

Probably a combination of sheer volume + distance from amp (about 3 feet) and single coils.

Didn't sound too bad though ;) - Hendrix style feedback baby.

the avt100 i had at drakes only ever gave me feedback when i didnt want it.......that was the clean channel with a pedal running the dist (ProCo rat)

when i actually tried getting it to feedback (over the intro of a song where it would sound cool) it didnt seem to want to

bah

David

Originally posted by GraemeC

here's another thing......is it a valvestate amp?

If it is and you have been using it as you describe since day one it may require the por little valve replacing.....you've been asking it work very hard...!!!

yeah it is a valvestate, it was one borrowed off a friend so im not sure how well used it has been...

David (not ian-the-bassist like the username says)