aberdeen-music

What the heck *is* emo, anyway?

Ross

Guest Nikola Tesla

bout bloody time sombody put a site like fourfa up. Ok some of it is a bit of a piss take but the musical points and facts are all sound..

Plus it mentions rites of spring heaps a band who everyone should like if into emo :up:

Guest allsystemsfail
and i dont think it can be denied that minor threat and fugazi are two of the most influential bands of the last 25 years

Yeah, while I'm not big on either band, on that I definitely agree.

There is a web site called:

"What the heck *is* emo' date=' anyway?"

[url']http://www.fourfa.com/

Never noticed it before but that guy states the band HEROIN as the ultimate band...fuck yeah!!! They are awesome!!! I got into them thinking they would sound like another band (heard some references to them) but just wasn't prepared for what i heard.....I wish I still had most my old vinyl collection ;(

Wow! Just found one of their songs (and one of my favourites) here!!! "moving parts"

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/heroin.html

I *never* classed these guys emo though.......

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Never noticed it before but that guy states the band HEROIN as the ultimate band...fuck yeah!!! They are awesome!!! I got into them thinking they would sound like another band (heard some references to them) but just wasn't prepared for what i heard.....I wish I still had most my old vinyl collection ;(

Wow! Just found one of their songs (and one of my favourites) here!!! "moving parts"

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/heroin.html

I *never* classed these guys emo though.......

yeah I'd never noticed that either - antioch arrow also are mentioned, neither struck me as emo to be honest

Guest Nikola Tesla
IMHO Emo is a type of music which utilises a part of the male vocal box which sounds like an angst ridden teenager who is trying to come terms that his voice is breaking and that everybody should feel sorry for him.

and now here comes the mandatory purist who still thinks emo (ok some of it isnt great but this is the good stuff here) is a trend that guys use to get laid.... *sigh*

Here begins another pointless war.

i think rites of spring are amazing. and i dont think it can be denied that minor threat and fugazi are two of the most influential bands of the last 25 years

To the fewpeople who have heard of them, maybe.

I don't deny their influence though, just the scope of it. Can it really be heard outwith some forms of punk music?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
and now here comes the mandatory purist metal head who still thinks emo is a trend that guys use to get laid.... *sigh*

Stu, it's not just metal fans who take that view about it.