aberdeen-music

Liber8/Alyssa's Wish

The Milner

Ben posting:

im afraid JJ you are wrong...

I know you were only kidding anyway.

I used to go see them when they played to no one in the old drakes and watched it get busier and busier for them.

Me and Craig would constantly go on at people to go see Liber8...we actually made it our mission to get them a fan base. I also remember going on and on at Paul Stewart to give em supports cos at the time quik were getting great, busy shows at lava.

Im going back a LONG time here. It would literally be quik, whatever band was playing with Liber8 at the old drakes, Katy (kris' then lady friend) and caroline (a friend of the band) watching them...Then the word spread and they were pulling more and more gradually.

When they would play lava they would play to no one. And support bands that didnt really pull then when they landed one of the double headline nights by Capdown I knew it would happen...and it did...they became the biggest band in Aberdeen...I was so chuffed.

I remember these times fondly. After Liber8 cleaned up at the fudge awards of...oohhh 2002 ? Yeah 2002, Me and Kris decided to have a cheesy style "clash of the titans" show at the old drakes and we wanted an awesome up and coming new band to play then...TEW were awesome that nite as were Quik and Liber8.

Kris and I were so close then...I miss that from time to time...

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

ben

Guest allsystemsfail

I remember Kris catching a lotta the DIY punk shows at Drakes (then still located in the Castlegate), though after that show with Oi Polloi he kinda disappeared.

Yeah, saw Liber8 at that show with Capdown too. As I said, not my kinda thing.

I liked Liber8, but i only was into the "this is not an exit" stuff, didn't bother with anything else

I was extremely disgusted with the way they were treated within the space of a year; Best Aberdeen band at the Fudge Awards one year, and then Most hated band the next

at's the scene for ya:moody:

first time i saw Liber8 was November 13th 2002. That was the last gig they played as Liber8. They were awesome.

i'd really like to hear what sort of direction Kris' date=' Steve and the new mystery drummer are gonna be taking.[/quote']

Guess what I have on my mini disc right now......!!!...... :up:

I was extremely disgusted with the way they were treated within the space of a year; Best Aberdeen band at the Fudge Awards one year' date=' and then Most hated band the next

at's the scene for ya:moody:[/quote']

Yes coz that kind of thing happens only in the Aberdeen Music Scene...

Liber8 were amazing, probably the only local band i went to see on a regular basis, like way back, long before 'this is not an exit'. First witnessed them laying waste at the first Laurencekirk Fulcrum Challenge gig. Was immense, we played quite a few gigs with them actually around 2001 i think it was, fuckin sound dudes, great tunes. Think the last time i saw them was prolly then they first played Summer or "what it means to be a fish" as someone once called it.

'fraid to say AW was certainly not my kettle of fish mind you....

Guest Scorge Spike

First witnessed them laying waste at the first Laurencekirk Fulcrum Challenge gig. Was immense' date=' we played quite a few gigs with them actually around 2001 i think it was, [/quote']

I thought the Fulcrum gig was 2002, accompanied by FesTr, Quik, Atom, Gu, and the then-inept Taiwan? Perhaps my memory fails me too, though that is the only time I saw Liber8, and I really didn't think much of their music that evening......

I purposely didnt say "aberdeen" music scene for that reason, as I was reflecting upon other groups aswell

:moody:

I thought the Fulcrum gig was 2002' date=' accompanied by FesTr, Quik, Atom, Gu, and the then-inept Taiwan? Perhaps my memory fails me too, though that is the only time I saw Liber8, and I really didn't think much of their music that evening......[/quote']

That was the second one the previous year included Liber8, Atom, Festr, De Barros, Quik and Some other band who covered blink-182 complete with tapping solos.

Ben posting:

I remember these times fondly. After Liber8 cleaned up at the fudge awards of...oohhh 2002 ? Yeah 2002' date=' Me and Kris decided to have a cheesy style "clash of the titans" show at the old drakes and we wanted an awesome up and coming new band to play then...TEW were awesome that nite as were Quik and Liber8.

ben[/quote']

i was at that gig... and we nearly got thrown out for being not 18 at the time.... infact im still not now hehe

but we got picked up before we could even see quik.. and i remember being scared of kris when he feel if the stage, i think that was the first time i saw them.

• 7 years later...