aberdeen-music

Help Asap! Overdrive Amp Hum? F'n Loud!

meiklejohn

Hey guys I gots me a wee (big) problem,

I have a Marshall avt150 head, the matching cab and 1960B cab and play through a Gibson les Paul classic (I doubt any of that's necessary but just incase)

I have a home made aluminium pedalboard with 10 pedals on it (all 9v pedals) soon to be 9 cause my compressor is never on cause its a cheap joyo thing that doesn't get on with my boost pedal

So any who when my overdrives are switched off my amp is silent other than the fan giving it laldy in the back but when I turn on any of my three overdrives (never more than one at a time) my amp has a VERY loud unbearable hum, I have a joyo vintage overdrive with the gain set really low and 2 mxr Zakk Wylde overdrives, there both different but can't remember which exact models they are, there set one for medium and one heavy.

The amount of gain I give it 100% makes it louder ie. the mxr that's got the gain almost at max hums so bad the drummer looks angry at me haha

I have 24 hours to purchase whatever it is for a gig tomorrow morning so I need answered ASAP!

Is it my crappy patch leads that cost next to nothing? Or the fact I've only got a little cheap 9v power pack thing with 10 outputs? I've used the same gear for a while and never noticed a hum this bad before? I want to say its patch leads (I'm hoping it is cause there cheapest) but it needs fixed so money is no object ill buy whatever will sort it!

Only other thing I can think is to buy a noise gate? Maybe put it where my compressor is?

Please help guys I'm not too clued up with this stuff and its my first ever gig tomorrow so don't want to have anything to worry about other than cocking up a solo!

Thanks in advance good people,

Over and out,

Scott

Overdrives make a lot of noise. Especially if you are using it as a boost (I set mine gain 0,tone 4,,volume 10). Likewise a compressor will be noisy and having cheap cables also adds to noise. Ditto power supplies. Ideally you want good quality patch leads and follow all the advice about power supplies and reducing hum.

I use a very small pedal board and i still find the noise from an OD to be annoying so I use an ISP decimator before my amp. Best noise gate available IMO. Sucks the least tone and gets rid of hum nicely.

So what should I try first? Good patch leads? New power source or a noise gate? Aberdeen is shit for buying equipment! no time to buy online so needs to be available locally

Is the amp plugged into the same power source as your pedals?

Have you gone through your pedals one by one to isolate a possible faulty cable or power adaptor?

Have you tried a different amp and guitar to make sure there's not a fault there?

Can you borrow someone else's board/power supply?

Colbs advice is good but failing that regarding cables and noise gates, neither are cheap options and it may take a bit of experimenting to find the cause.

I will say that I don't like OD gain very much and that could be a cause if you have the gain maxed as they tend to be fizzy and create unwanted sounds when the dial goes to a certain level. Any hum from that and your pedals will just be amplified by your amp. Hence why you want the quietest tone possible going into the amp.

I'd suggest if you can having a channel for higher gain stuff and relying less in pedals to get higher gain. That should be quieter than using the OD pedal as you are currently.

Do you have a particular sound in mind? I'm a massive fan of AMT pedals/preamps and they may do something that could be better for your needs. They are not cheap pedals but they sound great.

Edited by keeno

sit down and spend a good hour testing each patch cable and thread individually, process of elimination. 

I don't know why people have to write a whole thread about what they haven't checked!

Those people that give the same advice as someone else did two posts up are pretty goddam annoying too.......

sit down and spend a good hour testing each patch cable and thread individually, process of elimination.

I don't know why people have to write a whole thread about what they haven't checked!

Some of us aren't clued up on this stuff and look to others like Colb and keeno etc for a bit of experience and knowledge rather than read a million websites telling you different things. Suppose you always get one knob who thinks its a stupid question... but im just looking for advice, not a lecture

Do you have any power leads plugged into your power adaptor that aren't then plugged into a pedal? That can cause them to hum.

Compressors are known for adding a lot of noise to your signal chain. A little noise from a compressor through a MXR OD pedal maxxed out will cause a hella racket. You said you weren't really using it so it may be worth taking it off your board and seeing if that makes a difference.

It sounds like your issue is being caused by something involving the power though.

Are there any pedals on your board that might be using a lot of power? My digitech Jamman pedal requires it's own power adaptor as it draws too much current from my power pack which makes the rest of my pedals noisy and behave strangely.

My only other advice is echoing colb. Make sure your amp and pedal power adaptor are plugged into the same power source. Buildings wiring can cause alot of humming particularly older buildings.

Hope you get it sorted out and have a good gig!

Edited by Flights

Hey guys, right I've got the first gig out the way and managed to, with the help of my tuner and volume knobs control the buzzing so no 1 noticed - now it's time to buy a decent power supply and stop messing about! Anyone have any recommendations? I've got 10 pedals, so what's the best kinda thing to look at? Cheaper the better but not cheap if that makes sense! If it helps my order is;

Les Paul - crybaby wah - pitchblack tuner - compressor - mxr Zakk Wylde 1 overdrive - mxr Zakk Wylde 2 overdrive - joyo vintage drive - joyo flanger - joyo delay - joyo chorus - xotic ep boost - Marshall AVT150 head, cab and 1960b cab

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Scott