aberdeen-music

Aberdeen punks Carnage

Guest allsystemsfail

The good old days sound rather violent

I think gigs in general were. I still get amazed at some gigs that there is no trouble.

Around that time, the Angelic Upstarts were playing at Fusion and there was a stabbing mainly as the dandy dons were competing with Celtic at the top of the league. This spilt over to the trouble at the Music Hall with the four be two's who had Defiant Pose supporting and whos roadies were wearing celtic shirts. The singer jumped into a crowd of Hilton boys and it just accelerated as the night went on.

The Venue used to be rough, with kincorth sitting on one side and torry and others on the other. Even the reggae discos at St Ks were vicious at times. Those were the times we were in and you had to look after yourself. Generally if it were just the punks then there was no trouble.

Remember there were not many nightclubs then. You had champers, mr g's had not long opened and Tatlers had a late license upstairs. So going to gigs was slightly different in that it was an excuse to have a later night which saw a lot of different factions.

Punks were always chased by guys coming out of the lodge - now jimmy cheungs - and throughout the country there was a lot of trouble with riots, the NF, protests through to the miners strike.

As for the 62, it was mainly Pat who stopped the trouble, once he stepped in then others would back him up. Him and Dod Copland went big time into the martial arts, maybe because of this?

Not all the 'punks' were at the 62. There were the likes of Hen, Harper etc who were at the Harriet bar and then down to Valhallas along with Mike Craighead, Les Clark and the romantics/goths. You had the faces in each area and then the town punks like Marsh, Pat and Alice who was a skinhead. you'd find them at the star and garter.

Drummonds came onto the scene around 88, mainly from Ian Slater of APB i think. Hen, Mike who worked for Aberdeen Promotions, were all involved. The pelican took over from the Bang Club and Fever opened with Clash fanatic Bruce Mills on the door. Both these places would bring in Pat to deal with things when it got too naughty.

just some memories....

I don't think I've seen any trouble at the hundreds of gigs in Aberdeen I've been at bar a few Friday night fights in Drummonds which would have happened whether there was a band playing or not.

I suppose you've got a point in that there are so many places for people to go till 3am these days compared to back then. I'm sure the attendance at gigs back then must have been a lot better than it is now as a result of that?

Still as much chance of getting your face caved in on the walk home these days though....

At the 4x2's gig Defiant Pose's singer was swinging a plug about when the stage was invaded.Mike McKay from Summerhill was gashed above the eye and then proceeded to mash up the singer with a Les Paul.He wrongly then vented his anger at Skinny who was chased up Crown Street.

He wrongly then vented his anger at Skinny who was chased up Crown Street.

Skinny was the tall lanky punk from Kincorth. Wouldnt hurt a fly. You see him walking around Aberdeen with a grin on his face and a huge beard. He got badly beaten up apparently at some point and it seriously affected him.

Skinny, Scott Sinclair, Phil beefy Robertson, Tweed were the ones i recall as the older punks. Phil was in The Hum.

I never saw any violemce at Cobweb, the Venue, Valhallas etc.....but then I was going to the more mild-mannered gigs there, being a gentle, easy-going soul (and anyone who says different will get hospitalised!!!!) I don't think there was much of a gang presence at the Virginia Astley gig, for example (although the John Donne fans sat at the other side of the room from the Shakespeare lovers, glowering at each other and brandishing their quills).

Skinny was the tall lanky punk from Kincorth. Wouldnt hurt a fly. You see him walking around Aberdeen with a grin on his face and a huge beard. He got badly beaten up apparently at some point and it seriously affected him.

Skinny, Scott Sinclair, Phil beefy Robertson, Tweed were the ones i recall as the older punks. Phil was in The Hum.

Yep and Scott[RIP] and Tweed were in Anti-social.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep and Scott[RIP] and Tweed were in Anti-social.

Hi, I've bin following

' this forum for a whilie withoot postin', (used to hing oot at the 62, pals wi' Marsh, Alice, Phil "Beefy" Robertson, etc), but I didnae' ken Scott wis gone. I used tae bide in Kincorth and kent Scott, Tweed and Skinny Ritch. Wis this recent?

Dis' onybiddy ken if Phil is still aroond? Phil was in the Stomach Ops wi' Skinny Ritch. Maist violent gig ah've been at wis fan they played Echt. Scars [RIP] hired a coach an' we a' went oot, nae' kenning we were awa' tae' get a hell o' a hidin', even the quines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I think gigs in general were. I still get amazed at some gigs that there is no trouble.

Around that time, the Angelic Upstarts were playing at Fusion and there was a stabbing mainly as the dandy dons were competing with Celtic at the top of the league. This spilt over to the trouble at the Music Hall with the four be two's who had Defiant Pose supporting and whos roadies were wearing celtic shirts. The singer jumped into a crowd of Hilton boys and it just accelerated as the night went on.

The Venue used to be rough, with kincorth sitting on one side and torry and others on the other. Even the reggae discos at St Ks were vicious at times. Those were the times we were in and you had to look after yourself. Generally if it were just the punks then there was no trouble.

Remember there were not many nightclubs then. You had champers, mr g's had not long opened and Tatlers had a late license upstairs. So going to gigs was slightly different in that it was an excuse to have a later night which saw a lot of different factions.

Punks were always chased by guys coming out of the lodge - now jimmy cheungs - and throughout the country there was a lot of trouble with riots, the NF, protests through to the miners strike.

As for the 62, it was mainly Pat who stopped the trouble, once he stepped in then others would back him up. Him and Dod Copland went big time into the martial arts, maybe because of this?

Not all the 'punks' were at the 62. There were the likes of Hen, Harper etc who were at the Harriet bar and then down to Valhallas along with Mike Craighead, Les Clark and the romantics/goths. You had the faces in each area and then the town punks like Marsh, Pat and Alice who was a skinhead. you'd find them at the star and garter.

Drummonds came onto the scene around 88, mainly from Ian Slater of APB i think. Hen, Mike who worked for Aberdeen Promotions, were all involved. The pelican took over from the Bang Club and Fever opened with Clash fanatic Bruce Mills on the door. Both these places would bring in Pat to deal with things when it got too naughty.

just some memories....

The 62 Club was rattling with punk sounds as far back as '76, Stevie Booth (Biker) had the first import Ramones Lp. Punk tracks were spun inbetween Northern Soul tracks, "i'd painted a few "Rock stars" directly onto the walls downstairs in the disco bit, as my Dad had painted directly on the walls (a cracking Jimi Hendrix) in the 60's. The 62 Club was a "Youth Club" run by Harry???, then a different lot came into run it Christine???? and the whole dynamics of the 62 Club changed. Out went the look and it became more "drop -in " friendly. Names from the early days were Gary Clark, Kenny Bowie and Dave King. The City had already been visited by The Stranglers, Subway Sect, The Clash in 76 and 77, but not at the 62. Its was mentioned on this forum the Angelic upstart at Fusion, but they'd played the McRobert Hall with Girlschool, where Mensi came on with a frozen pigs head, for who killed Liddel (this was 79?). The next night there was an incident at the 62 involving the said pigs head.

• 10 months later...
The 62 Club was rattling with punk sounds as far back as '76, Stevie Booth (Biker) had the first import Ramones Lp. Punk tracks were spun inbetween Northern Soul tracks, "i'd painted a few "Rock stars" directly onto the walls downstairs in the disco bit, as my Dad had painted directly on the walls (a cracking Jimi Hendrix) in the 60's. The 62 Club was a "Youth Club" run by Harry???, then a different lot came into run it Christine???? and the whole dynamics of the 62 Club changed. Out went the look and it became more "drop -in " friendly. Names from the early days were Gary Clark, Kenny Bowie and Dave King. The City had already been visited by The Stranglers, Subway Sect, The Clash in 76 and 77, but not at the 62. Its was mentioned on this forum the Angelic upstart at Fusion, but they'd played the McRobert Hall with Girlschool, where Mensi came on with a frozen pigs head, for who killed Liddel (this was 79?). The next night there was an incident at the 62 involving the said pigs head.

aye is that you Les, I remember the scrap outside McRobert hall after the gig & the Marsh with the pigs head the following night.

• 1 year later...