aberdeen-music

50th anniversary squier

Guest Joss

i bought a 50th anniversry squier for £40 i thought it was a great deal, but how much are they able to sell for? ive seen a few on ebay one at £75 one at £112 and one at £250 some one please help ive taken it on as my first project to re build it and improve it but im wanting to know if its even worth it

A 50th Anniversary Squier what1 what2?

Where "what1" is the range (Affinity, Standard, Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, Silver Series, JV (heh)) and "what2" is type of instrument (Telecaster, Stratocaster, P bass etc.)

A Squier for £40 sounds like you got a sweet deal regardless of what we're talking about. Modding won't make it worth any more than it would be worth anyway, you will lose money on the replacement parts, almost guaranteed.

for me its hard to say haven't looked in to it much it don't have any indications apart from the 50th anniversary sticker on the back id just take it as a standard squier and its a strat hmm ill pimp it a little i know they dont go up much with up grades unless its really high end up grades etc. but im really wanting to know how much they sell for more all its needing really is a decent maple neck to go with the plain wood body im sanding dont want to touch the pups maybe some decent tuners thats it but i couldnt class it as a 5oth anniversary if i change the neck

I wasnt really planning on selling it... No im not turning in to the next ronz (no offence if your reading this) any way then only way it was bieng sold for £40 is because the damage to it so really i should be able to sell it for more now that ive fixed. It up, and flights im not sure i know. Its a korean one but bigsby said it was swiming pool routed. Id have to get someone ton look at it properly

Making modifications to a guitar that you're selling as 'vintage' in some way - even 1996 - is not a good idea. If you've dicked about with it in some way, it's not really valuable as a collectors item any more.

In summary, put a new neck on it or fuck around with the finish or whatever and it'll be worth as much as any second hand, well playing Squier Stratocaster (for the record, 40 quid is a good price). Stick a 100 quid pickup in it and you'll recoup the price of the pickup if you're lucky. As a Squier 50th Anniversary Stratocaster however, it'll be worthless.

I understand fucking around with the neck affects It but how the finish? Ive had enough of most people on this forum treating me like shit and taking the utter piss out of me for gods sake im 14 im not as experianced as thr rest of you or as talented we all came on the forum to talk about this stuff and buy stuff and to have a laugh if its just gonna be like this theres noo point in me bieng on this forum

I understand fucking around with the neck affects It but how the finish? Ive had enough of most people on this forum treating me like shit and taking the utter piss out of me for gods sake im 14 im not as experianced as thr rest of you or as talented we all came on the forum to talk about this stuff and buy stuff and to have a laugh if its just gonna be like this theres noo point in me bieng on this forum

I don't recall taking the piss, I think my advice was quite serious, genuine and I hope, helpful. Perhaps it could have been put a little less testily, sorry about that. Come to think of it, I don't see much piss taking in this thread, lots of genuine advice here.

FWIW, threatening to leave a forum when things aren't going your way is just about the most yawn invoking thing one can do on a forum.

It wasnt really aimed at you in particular its just a lot of people on this forum practicly take advantage of my age and take the piss, couldnt care its yawning couldnt really care ive just had enough of the cunts on this forum

Hey man I wasn't taking the piss, I was just trying to help you value your guitar. Taking the finish off your guitar will reduce the value as it no longer be that collectible because it will be different from the model that people want. Putting better pickups and hardware on it will put the value up a wee bit but it will no longer be a 50th anniversary model as you've changed it into something else.

To be honest I'm not sure even if there's any money to be made in doing up a squier and selling it. You might recoup the cost of pickups and hardware if you're lucky but I can't see a Chinese strat making more than what Bigsby said. You can tart it up as much as you want but at the end of the day people will only offer you peanuts for it as it's Chinese.

If the neck is damaged or tainted in anyway you've easily knocked most of the value out of that guitar. A Chinese basswood body and hardware isn't probably worth that much at all.

It sounds like it would make a great base for a personal modded guitar though. Build it around your preferences and because of the swimming pool rout you'll be able to put in any pickups you want. Plenty of folk on here have done guitar modding and that sort of thing, myself included and I'm sure no-one would keep any advice to themselves.

ok thanks for the advise i always thought it was a korean one but oh well any i deas for pick ups i was told tone rider but not too sure

Depends what kinda thing you're after. What kind of music do you normally play? That's a good starting point in choosing pickups. Cost is also pretty important. If you are looking at demos etc. on youtube and the like bear in mind you won't have the same amp, pedals and setup as the guy in the video and the sound on youtube isn't the greatest quality.

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/ - This guy may look like a tranny but he makes pretty decent pickups, they are mental cheap too. I have a set in my strat (the XS65's) and they sound pretty great.