aberdeen-music

Fostex multitrack no audio from one channel when mixing?

MichaelCRobertson

Today I was given a fostex DMT 8VL multitrack recorder.

I got it home about 2 hours ago and have been getting to grips with it, and everything functions beautifully except the 3rd channel. The input records fine, and there is audio when monitoring the channel. But when in mixing mode there seems to be no audio. I played about for a bit to see if I had jut made a mistake. I discovered there is some audio, but it is only there when all volumes are maxed out! And even then it is only very faint!

Does anyone here know what's going on?

Has anyone else come across something like this?

And is it possible to fix?

Cheers for your help!

I have a Yamaha MD8 and blew the first channel after some idiot (a drummer) plugged a mic with phantom power into the 1st channel while phantom power was turned on....it blew the channel and now it is useless for playback or recording....7 tracks are 3 more than you really need anyway.

Looking at a photo of it(the fostex), it looks like you have direct outs for the 8 channels, so try plugging the direct out into one the aux returns (if available) and see if you can hear it that way. If that works, then you can try the suggestion above of bouncing a track to track 3 and getting round it that way. But yes, sounds like its shagged. They are probably a nightmare inside but if you find a schematic you could try opening it up and probing about, checking continuity from jack to preamp/eq/fader/etc is in line with what you see on the working channels. If theres a weak link you could replace a part.

Oh reading it more....how do you switch from playback and recording? is it digitally or is there a latching switch? may just be the switch that changes from line to playback, it could have been on the way out, and after fiddling youve broke it completely :) That woul dbe a nice easy part to replace! Good luck