aberdeen-music

Fender Jazzmaster problems

fertuiee

Hello there,

I play a jazzmaster, i am using some low tunings on it ( drop B, C standard..etc ) this is causing some amount of rattling from the bridge, now i know that some folk would say to tune it like a real person and some people swap them for mustang bridges for this reason, along with the strings slipping off or whatever, i was just wondering if anyone had any contact with this? and im looking at mustang bridges here and i can see very little difference in the 2. Sollutionssssssssssssss......GO!!!

The mustang bridge is the very first thing to do. It drove me nuts how easy the strings rattled and could slip between ridges on the bridge, swapping over to the mustang bridge was far better and kept in tune and intonation far better.

If you're using drop tuning can i assume you are using a higher string gauge? If you are detuning to drop B c standard i would say you need at least 11 Gauge strings, if not 12 or 13 depending on how NAILS you are. I would be using 12's for B standard or drop C.

Hey, cheers for the reply, i use 12's and have its set up regularly, ive heard about these mustang bridges being the answer, so..its a go'er then? sounds very promising this! im wondering how much difference there is aswell? cos looking at it here...doesnt seem to be so much difference, cant argue with popular opinion i guess..........for £20 what can POSSIBLY go wrong!! :p

Cheers lads, just as a matter curiosity were the bridges new when you bought them? as in, is there a place you'd recommend online? or just buy a second hand one off ebay?

Just get one from eBay. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FENDER-Mustang-Guitar-Bridge-VINTAGE-STYLE-Mounting-Cups-NEW-/140764452318?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20c63715de

You do however get into the situation where Fender's specs for Japanese and American guitars can be different, so yr best measuring up the size of yr old bridge and checking with one you are going to buy.

• Upvote 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FENDER-Mustang-Guitar-Bridge-VINTAGE-STYLE-Mounting-Cups-NEW-/140764452318?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20c63715de

You do however get into the situation where Fender's specs for Japanese and American guitars can be different, so yr best measuring up the size of yr old bridge and checking with one you are going to buy.

Jan, do you think this is a Mustang Bridge, its the one thats actually on my guitar right now, it looks remarkably similar to the one you posted in you link http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/fertuiee/ .....photos are crap.

Jan, do you think this is a Mustang Bridge, its the one thats actually on my guitar right now, it looks remarkably similar to the one you posted in you link http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/fertuiee/.....photos are crap.

I bought it second hand by the way, and this was the bridge that was on it, the guy never mentioned he had changed it.

Right, i feared as much, ive had it set up by a few different reputable folks in the past and asked this question as....it kinda doesnt feel right but sounds fuckin ace, and they said that its a guitar, if its set up ok then it'll take any tuning, ah fuck knows haha! just have to put up with it i guess :)

shouldn't be a problem tuning down only another than the stings being slightly too wide to sit on the original saddles.

if you play 13's tuned to standard compared to 9 tuned to standard, allot of different tension, if the player has worked out string gauges the relative tension compared to tuning 9's to standard to say 12's/13 is much the same depending on the players preference of tension.

• Upvote 1

Ive got 12's on it at the mo, its actually only the bottom E that rattles at all, only thing is.....its pretty severe and seems to have got worse........think im just gonna stick some loctite on the screw and see how it like THEM apples!! :p......or just cry :rockon:

I would advise against using super glue like, it will just accidental get onto other bits of the guitar or the finish and fuck it up.

did you order a new bridge?

Nah, ive sent a mail to a guy who builds guitars in Cruden bay i think, hes really good... must be a way of getting it right like. cheers for the info man ;)