aberdeen-music

Guitarist needed for hardcore/post-hardcore/punk sort of thing.

Jaaakkkeee

Can you give me some examples of what you consider post-hardcore? seems to be the most disputed genre with everyone considering it something slightly different.

It's a dumb genre, as are all "post" genres, but it originally stemmed from DC hardcore bands becoming disillusioned with hardcore punk in the mid 80's. Along came stuff like Embrace and Rites of Spring. Then they practically merged and became Fugazi. Then it snowballed in the late 80's onwards, Jawbox, Die Kreuzen, Quicksand, Drive Like Jehu, and to an extent At The Drive-In. Now it seems that any sort of chug/riff metal band with a spot of melody is now post-hardcore. Metal was never really involved at all, or shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Genres that aren't bog standard and obvious are pretty pointless. I've recently heard genre names such as "djent" and "easycore". I have no idea what's going on anymore. Maybe it's me who's wrong about post hardcore afterall.

Yes Jake. I'll be in your rap-metal band.

djent is pretty straight forward to be honest, i don't hate that one. Quite a distinctive sound although you would need someone a little more qualified than me to be able to describe it properly. Keeno?

I think what i call Post-hardcore is just melodic hardcore. No metal anywhere near it.

What is djent, and what does the word djent actually mean? Is it downtuned chug-chug stuff? The word reminds me of mustard. I assume it has nothing to do with mustard.

thing is once jake's band are going they probably won't sound anything like post-rock or whatever and have a new genre name

I keep finding new bands that are inspiring me. Basically, if I can write a setlist that can blend southern hardcore riffs, hardcore breakdowns (not beat downs), punky basslines, the chaos of Chariot and then bung in a song where the guitars are clean and i'm in the crowd crying in the foetal position, I'll be happy.