aberdeen-music

Guitarist needed for hardcore/post-hardcore/punk sort of thing.

Jaaakkkeee

Did the word "djent" derive from something? Or is it a way of verbalising the sound of a chugging guitar? If it's the latter, I'd have called it Jud-Jud.

http://www.myspace.com/judjud

Best band.

It was a term coined by Misha (aka Bulb) from Periphery . As you basically identified, it's an onomatopoeia.This is the explanation that has been floating around for years about it.

"The onomatopoeia of a heavily palm muted distorted guitar chord which is usually played as but not limited to a 4 string double octave powerchord, and as a result sounds much more metallic and sonically present than a "chug" "chugga" or "djun" per se,"

Or watch about 5:15 into this video.

As for djent as a 'genre', just listen to Periphery. Most bands these days just copy them anyway. Meshuggah are the godfathers of djent and Misha is but a prodigal son. I sound like such a twat saying that, oh well. I think part of the reason djent is so popular is because it's so easy to do. Amusingly for the 'monsters of high gain amp series' - djent doesn't need much gain at all. It's all about the EQ. You don't want much bass or gain really, just crank the mids and treble (having a 7/8 string helps with using less gain). Misha himself used to used an Egnater Rebel 20 as his practice amp and said it was pretty much perfect for the job

Personally I like having genre tags as it gives you a good idea what something is going to sound like... but it is getting out of hand and the original definitions no longer hold. Post hardcore and screamo are 2 where modern bands being labelled those things sound nothing like the ones 10 years ago.