aberdeen-music

New Camera advice

Johnny Mac

Come on then.... need a new camera....

Budget... probably between £300 - £400... can you get a DSLR for that price?

Mainly for holiday photos etc, so nothing too mental, but something that will last a few years without being shit.

Did a search on here for camera threads, but most are from a LONG time ago.

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

For holiday snaps, etc i would recommend getting s high end compact. Unless you want do some creative photography you don't want an DSLR.

DSLR don't give you higher quality photos but they do give you more control (aperture, shutterpeed LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!1!!, ISO, etc). If it's for good photos you want, then get a high end compact with an optical lens, they tend to be the best for that. an SLR on auto won't necessarily give you any better results, if not the exact same as a good digital will give you for less money).

I'm drunk though, someone else will give a better response than me sometime soon. watch this space.

Absolute nonsense. DSLR's, in general, have larger sensors than standard compact cameras and much better glass in their lenses so they are capable of drawing more light and the quality of the image is much better. That's before you even get involved in faster shutterspeeds etc. The most important parts of a camera are the lens and sensor.

While i don't dispute that you can get some great shots out of a high end compact camera (Sonys HX9 or the Panasonic TZ20 are great examples) you aren't a very good photographer at all if you can't get better results from a DSLR.

I've also been looking into this and I really fancy a compact system camera. I think someone mentioned this type of camera in a previous post but it's basically a cut down version of a DSLR. You can buy interchangeable lens' too which makes it more versatile than a point and click. They are generally more expensive too. There are also some nice looking bridge cameras which look like a DSLR but have a fixed lens. Just go on any camera website to read up on reviews.