aberdeen-music

Your electronic productions

Guest Tam o' Shantie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread - nice to see some electronic music in Aberdeen - being an old fart these days my nights out are not what they once were and now I get my kicks messing around with various bits of kit and making the odd burble whilst wearing slippers and supping a nice cocoa

I might develop this one a touch

http://soundcloud.com/jay-sonic/wheres-klaus

• Upvote 1

I didn't know this thread existed either but im glad it does! I had a bash at something a while ago, feedback welcome!

http://soundcloud.com/paime/the-cure-vs-beastie-boys

What technique are you guys using to produce your stuff?

I'm using Ableton Live but very much a noob at it. Just playing around and creating things I think sound cool. I'm planning to explore it a lot more and hopefully find ways to use it live as well.

I'm using Ableton Live but very much a noob at it. Just playing around and creating things I think sound cool. I'm planning to explore it a lot more and hopefully find ways to use it live as well.

I've been doing this on and off for about 5 years and I still can't produce a decent drum track.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Is it a free trial thing or is it best to pay? I'm not much of a torrent user these days so will do it legally.

I used to use Sony Acid Pro and it's decent enough but a bit limited imo.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't know this thread existed either but im glad it does! I had a bash at something a while ago, feedback welcome!

I've been wanting someone to mash up Kanye West - Jesus Walks and Gorillaz - 19/2000 for AAAAGES. hint hint!

I've just bought a Mac Book Pro, Cubase 6, a Maschine, a Focusrite Saffire and a bag for my Virus TI Polar. As soon as my order arrives, the portable electro set up will be pretty solid. I just have to do a Bill and Ted and learn how to use it all.

Im muchos jealous! I need to invest in some decent kit but it's just sooooooo much money!

There are a few other choice keyboards in my arsenal, I've been building this set up for several years now. My girlfriend lives in Glasgow so I am away from my gadgets for too many days out of the month which is very annoying if you happen to feel creative and have no outlet! The aim right now is not only to have a completely portable creative set up but to have a high quality "portable" recording studio on top of that (fits in my car boot). All I'm missing now are some nice microphones, decent cables to connect everything up, monitors, nice preamp, mini desk, headphones, headphone amp ... the never ending list is going to need a few more months I think!

*I may be getting rid of a few more gadgets soon... they're getting a service before I sell. Should have a Roland MC 307 groovebox, a Boss DR880 drum machine, an MS2000 rack, a Roland JP8000, a pair of technics. Don't respond to this in the thread but if you fancy any of these fire me a PM.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I need to get back in to production. But I simply just don't know enough. And youtube videos only help so much. Anyone know of any places they teach you to do this stuff that isn't an Aberdeen College course?

IMO the best approach is to ruthlessly surf Youtube for more videos. Look at The Dubspot's free tutorials on youtube. Other than that, familiarise yourself with all the basic concepts and LISTEN to those you admire!

Learn to identify sounds and samples. 808s, 909s square, sine, triangle wave synthesis. Read up on compression, sidechaining, EQing basics, filtering & song arrangement. Then experiment with what you learned!

It takes time and the production level I'm at compared to 6 months ago even is just so far on. You need to put the effort in. Not a single day goes by when i'm not working on music.

• Upvote 2

Guest droid
I need to get back in to production. But I simply just don't know enough. And youtube videos only help so much. Anyone know of any places they teach you to do this stuff that isn't an Aberdeen College course?

Waste less of your time on here and spend more time experimenting/programming/"producing".:music:

• Upvote 1

IMO the best approach is to ruthlessly surf Youtube for more videos. Look at The Dubspot's free tutorials on youtube. Other than that, familiarise yourself with all the basic concepts and LISTEN to those you admire!

Learn to identify sounds and samples. 808s, 909s square, sine, triangle wave synthesis. Read up on compression, sidechaining, EQing basics, filtering & song arrangement. Then experiment with what you learned!

It takes time and the production level I'm at compared to 6 months ago even is just so far on. You need to put the effort in. Not a single day goes by when i'm not working on music.

Couldn't agree more. It's a 'learn-by-doing' process imo. I had no idea how to use Acid Pro when i first began but i have a good working knowledge of most of it now. I'd really like to get into DJing and even had a set of Technics 1210s for a while but i never managed to get to grips with it. You also need quite a large working space for that kind of set up and the bird was hating hit.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

being single helps. the instant i got out of my last relationship i moved away from noodling on an mpc to full productions on ableton. never looked back. never pursued another relationship since either lol

it helps to have a seperate working space where you can get away from distractions. I'm lucky that we have an office upstairs where I can get away from Come Dine With Me and just make some noise without disturbing my wife too much. It depends how much you want to get out of it too; I'm aware of my restrictions and just enjoy doing it for the sake of creating. If over a few years I get good at it then that's great, but at the moment I'm happy to stick my work up and keep plugging away. I'm enjoying it and that's the main thing. Make music for yourself!

• Upvote 2