aberdeen-music

Some cool new Squier Basses

Classic Vibe Precision

0303080550_xl.jpg

Short scale Jaguar bass

0328800506_xl.jpg

Mustang bass

1-mustang-bass-660-80.jpg

They all look good, and the recent Squier output has been fantastic. Mike from Seas, Starry has a Squier vintage vibe telecaster and it's a great guitar. Going from that, and a few of the other new Squiers, I'd say these would be lovely basses. I'd personally fo for the Mustang bass.

I think that the Squier signature will be ace, unless they mess about with it like what they did to the vintage modified Jazzmaster.

Can't really see them messing about with it much. All the Squier signature models seem to be pretty much replicas of their guitars.

Plus i couldn't see J releasing a JM under his name sans trem.

I love the look of this, but I've never played a short scale bass. Does anyone here have any experience of them? I usually play a Gibson Ripper (which is huge!) and a Fender Precision so I'm wondering how much the short scale will differ to them. Will it sound thinner than a full scale bass and how do they feel to play?

I love the look of this, but I've never played a short scale bass. Does anyone here have any experience of them? I usually play a Gibson Ripper (which is huge!) and a Fender Precision so I'm wondering how much the short scale will differ to them. Will it sound thinner than a full scale bass and how do they feel to play?

Also interested in the answer to these questions.

I played my first gig with a Squier Bronco and have played/owned other short scale basses (Epiphone EB-0, Hagstrom HII-B, DeArmond Starfire). What you will find is a lesser string tension/more compliance. I wouldn't go as far as to say "flappy", but you will find the E string noticeably easier to move. Obviously the frets are a little closer together, but it's not too much different, you'll probably adjust within a few minutes. Some people say that the sound of a short scale bass is murkier or less distinct, but I think that's mostly down to the Gibson/Epiphone EB with its huge humbucker at the neck. I put a lipstick pickup in my Bronco and it was plenty bright.

Excellent taste in bass may I add (referring to the Ripper of course ;) )

I played my first gig with a Squier Bronco and have played/owned other short scale basses (Epiphone EB-0, Hagstrom HII-B, DeArmond Starfire). What you will find is a lesser string tension/more compliance. I wouldn't go as far as to say "flappy", but you will find the E string noticeably easier to move. Obviously the frets are a little closer together, but it's not too much different, you'll probably adjust within a few minutes. Some people say that the sound of a short scale bass is murkier or less distinct, but I think that's mostly down to the Gibson/Epiphone EB with its huge humbucker at the neck. I put a lipstick pickup in my Bronco and it was plenty bright.

Excellent taste in bass may I add (referring to the Ripper of course ;) )

Cheers for the info!

Would a heavier gauge of string prevent the E string being a little lose? I normally tune down to D, so I don't want the low string being too flappy.

As for my Ripper, it is indeed a lovely bass. I'd really like a Grabber too.

Cheers for the info!

Would a heavier gauge of string prevent the E string being a little lose? I normally tune down to D, so I don't want the low string being too flappy.

As for my Ripper, it is indeed a lovely bass. I'd really like a Grabber too.

I think you'll have a bit of bother tuning to D on a short scale. That will exacerbate the "flappiness" quite a lot. The other bummer about short scales is the reduction in choice of strings. The thickest short scale E string I've seen is a 105 (not saying heavier ones don't exist). I converted my Bronco to string through and even that didn't firm the E string up by much. You could try flats, some of which are much less compliant than roundwounds of the same gauge.

Gibson-wise, I have a G-3, a Victory Artist and an IV.