aberdeen-music

Game of Thrones

Johnny Mac

Not really. I hear this called "fantasy" but the show's not really like that. All the characters are human. No orcs, dwarves, elves or whatever. There has been a little bit of chatter about dragons and other weird things though so I'm guessing the story maybe heads more in that direction as it progresses.

They do both have Sean Bean though.

Lord of The Rings is like Game of Thrones in the same sort of way that Star Wars is like Star Trek or Superman is like Batman or Hot Tub Time Machine is like Back To The Future or Rawhide is like Unforgiven or The Beatles are like The Stones or Penguins are like Puffins or Bagels are like Doughnuts or Lions are like Tigers or Grape Juice is like Wine or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is like Butter or a Square is like a Rectangle or Chorizo is like, you know, Sausage.... but at the same time it's not really like that.

Holy shit Game of Thrones, holy shit. Way to live up to my every expectation for the final scene. Holy fucking shit.

The scene with Jon running away from the Wall for the night was a LOT shorter, but then the books are about a gazillion pages long so whatcha' gonna' do? That final fucking scene with Danaerys though. DRAGONS!! Surprised there was any Arya in it but then I guess with a long break in the series now they needed more for her character. I guess. WINTER IS COMING! KING IN THE NORTH!

Overall a great first season. Final scene was fantastic. However I don't think the final episode was quite as good as the previous few. Episode 9 would have made a great finale and this could really have been the season 2 opener. A minor complaint though as really this has been a show which I've enjoyed much more than I expected to. And I can't wait for the next season.

I've decided against reading the books though, I'm going to enjoy it as a TV series and have it all new to me as I watch each episode.

I felt like this last episode was a denouement more than anything else. For me the climactic moment of the series was in episode 9, this was mostly leading you towards series 2.

I agree with this.

Was a bit let down by the final episode as the last few had been amazing.

It's been good tv though and I'm looking forward to the next batch of episodes!

:up:

Im so reading the books now as i cant possibly live with the injustice whilst waiting for the next series. I totally empathise with the guy on you tube. If he d told the crowd what he really thought before getting the chop It wouldn t of been so bad.I think the King of the North will have trouble from the North from now on. The Lanisters on the other hand are gonna getit from a dragon or three.Imp was great throughout.A star in the making there i feel. Again great TV. Reminded me of a great trilogy from Robyn Hobb.

Im so reading the books now as i cant possibly live with the injustice whilst waiting for the next series.

I'm on the same boat. Just finished watching the last episode and I'm really wanting more so going to steal the books from my dad for myself. I did think there wasn't much of a cliffhanger at the end but it's building up nicely for the next season. Just out of interest, how many books are in the series?

I also can't get over the guy from the Tesco adverts/Full Monty being King Robert.

Just out of interest, how many books are in the series?

After A Game of Thrones was published Martin expanded his planned trilogy of books to become a quadrilogy because he had not managed to include every plot point he had initially intended for thrones. The four novels were later expanded to six as the story grew. During the writing of the third book the novel became so long that the publishers refused to print its 1,521 pages so he split it into two books. Of the seven volumes now planned only four have been published. The fifth novel will be published on July 12th, 6 years after volume four.

It seems the writing of the books is almost as epic as the storyline.

Apparently the 'checking details' process for the next book took a lot longer than expected. I'd rather it live up to expectations and take longer to come out than have Martin rush out something and find it full of continuity errors. Can't wait for the 5th, especially after the events of A Feast for Crows.

• 1 year later...