aberdeen-music

Elvisness 2004

Swingin' Ryan

What's the script with Elvisness this year?

I assume it's still going ahead, and it's date approaches like a side-burned F1 car, but I've heard little talk of it. What's the line-up? What's the tickets situation? Who's DJ'ing etc? and will the legendary Dave Dixon be compere?

It's the highlight of the rock and roll calendar,when the great and the good congregate to celebrate the immortal spirit of Elvis Presley.

So can some Hound Dog please inform me further (see what I did there?......)

Fear not, Swingin' Ryan, Elvisness 2004 is real, it's ready, and what's more it's riotous. In fact, not 5 minutes ago did I finally complete the jacket I have been making for it. Yep, you read that right- King Liar & The Brutes are a genuine force in this nexus of vagrancy. What I mean is this: we are playing at it, 5 songs in total. Will we treat Mr. Presley with respect and reverence? Just you wait and see...

Predictably, King Voodoo are headlining, doing their usual nonsense. Also playing are Atrium, who are basically King Voodoo but without Roddy, playing some kind of metal-oriented noise. Also Kirsty Moodie (of being the mother of Mark Nicol's children fame) is doing some stuff, and the Lemon Tree Songwriters Project (whatever that is). And yes, Dave Dixon is compering- he hopes to resurrect last year's wheel (which itself was formerly the legendary Wheel of Justice), except this time with an actual purpose. We'll see. He'll probably play a few songs as well.

I think Michelle and Jim from Retro Rebels will be DJin as per last couple of years, except without me ('cause I'll be otherwise engaged...)

Fear not' date=' Swingin' Ryan, Elvisness 2004 is real, it's ready, and what's more it's riotous. In fact, not 5 minutes ago did I finally complete the jacket I have been making for it. Yep, you read that right- King Liar & The Brutes are a genuine force in this nexus of vagrancy. What I mean is this: we are playing at it, 5 songs in total. Will we treat Mr. Presley with respect and reverence? Just you wait and see...

Predictably, King Voodoo are headlining, doing their usual nonsense. Also playing are Atrium, who are basically King Voodoo but without Roddy, playing some kind of metal-oriented noise. Also Kirsty Moodie (of being the mother of Mark Nicol's children fame) is doing some stuff, and the Lemon Tree Songwriters Project (whatever that is). And yes, Dave Dixon is compering- he hopes to resurrect last year's wheel (which itself was formerly the legendary Wheel of Justice), except this time with an actual purpose. We'll see. He'll probably play a few songs as well.

I think Michelle and Jim from Retro Rebels will be DJin as per last couple of years, except without me ('cause I'll be otherwise engaged...)[/quote']

That sounds like the cat's pyjama's.

I see however we're not being treated to another set of Elvis covers in an elevator music style, from the fusion jazz band that played last year, they were an experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Fear not' date=' Swingin' Ryan, Elvisness 2004 is real, it's ready, and what's more it's riotous. In fact, not 5 minutes ago did I finally complete the jacket I have been making for it. Yep, you read that right- King Liar & The Brutes are a genuine force in this nexus of vagrancy. What I mean is this: we are playing at it, 5 songs in total. Will we treat Mr. Presley with respect and reverence? Just you wait and see...

I think Michelle and Jim from Retro Rebels will be DJin as per last couple of years, except without me ('cause I'll be otherwise engaged...)[/quote']

king liar and the brutes are by far the worst band iv ever heard in my life, you completely ruined the king's songs. The crowd booed you too(haha), plus the singer is 3ft 5, who cant sing worth a fook and also he has ginger hair.(which doesnt help)

Harsh but Fair

Cant comment on your original material because iv never heard you guys, and after the elvis set,i dont intend too.

King voodoo- Best aberdeen band iv heard, singer could sneeze and the band would change key, really tight.

Atrium - awesome

The creoles- awesome

The lemon tree writers thing - really good

Guest Cowboy Dan

!!!

King Liar and the Brutes are the greatest ever to grace planet earth, although i can probably see how elvis fans would have been offended by their interpretations of his material even though i wasn't there...

king liar and the brutes are by far the worst band iv ever heard in my life' date=' you completely ruined the king's songs. The crowd booed you too(haha), plus the singer is 3ft 5, who cant sing worth a fook and also he has ginger hair.(which doesnt help)

Harsh but Fair

Cant comment on your original material because iv never heard you guys, and after the elvis set,i dont intend too.

King voodoo- Best aberdeen band iv heard, singer could sneeze and the band would change key, really tight.

Atrium - awesome

The creoles- awesome

The lemon tree writers thing - really good[/quote']

Glad to hear your thoughts! :cheers:

If by "the crowd" you mean (presumably) yourself, the hilarious fanatic who went on to win the Elvis quiz + his mates, and are disregarding the rest of the audience that cheered us and made a point of coming up to us and telling us they enjoyed the show, then yes, the crowed booed us. But a little word in your ear... we kinda hoped a few would. Pleasing people who revere "the king" in all his guises is not something we set out to do. Those types should really stick to official Elvis clubs involving only impersonators or DJs playing Elvis recordings, or else just stay at home and listen to CDs. Elvisness isn't Elvisness unless some Elvis fans leave pissed off.

As for being short and having ginger hair: well, I guess that is a crime, and makes my band (and myself) worse. But hey, at least I'm not black!

If you liked Atrium, you should check out the film Ghost World, because there's a band called Blues Hammer featured in it that you'd really like.