aberdeen-music

Glasvegas - Music Hall, April 23rd

french_disko

The fact he decided to sing at 90 degrees to the crowd for a large part of the gig was never going to help.

It not only looked like if he was disconnected with himself through drink/drugs, but not facing the crowd seemed such an odd thing to do and left him more disconnected.

At the end of the night once the crowd starting moving out, he said something very close to "that's the first time we have played a lot of these tracks, you lucky c****."

It seemed like a go at the crowd for not appreciating them, but it did raise a few chuckles with people around me.

Not sure what went wrong during It's my own cheating heart that the crowd never responded, but Daddys gone and Go square go were received really well.

I know you need a good crowd to have a good concert and it seemed the crowd would respond well to a good, well performed track.

I think the case is their performance and material was really poor and it simply could not motivate the crowd in the slightest.

You guys at a diferrent gig? I was down not far from the front and plenty of folks loving the gig. New songs from any band can flatten a gig. James was touching his chest, blowing kisses to the crowd throughout the gig and the couple of singalong moments were quite touching. I'm not a signed up fan but they seem to be the new band it is cool to not like.

Maybe the subject matter of the songs is creative thing from what he has seen around him. Imagine

that eh, being creative in a band. I could write songs based on the amount of people that went to my school that are now dead for a number of reasons that would for some colourful prose.

I probably won't coz that isn't cool, it seems.

New songs from any band can flatten a gig.

I thought the new songs were great. I saw them in Forres earlier this year where they played far fewer of them and was disappointed. Now with the benefit of hearing them on CD they sounded much better.

And anyone who can get "fitba taps" into a song is just fine with me.

I think you're right about them being the new cool band to hate and I don't understand why really.

I still think they'd be better if he went back to playing guitar though.

Is it actually about it being 'cool' to hate them now? The hype surrounding them at the time of the first album wasn't justified in my humble opinion on listening so my dislike is nothing new. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them, they don't figure that highly in my thoughts. I just think they are pretty pish, along with many other bands.

Is it actually about it being 'cool' to hate them now? The hype surrounding them at the time of the first album wasn't justified in my humble opinion on listening so my dislike is nothing new. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them, they don't figure that highly in my thoughts. I just think they are pretty pish, along with many other bands.

There are people who hate them just because of their name! I might have been one of them if I hadn't fallen in love with the tunes.

You guys at a diferrent gig? I was down not far from the front and plenty of folks loving the gig. New songs from any band can flatten a gig. James was touching his chest, blowing kisses to the crowd throughout the gig and the couple of singalong moments were quite touching. I'm not a signed up fan but they seem to be the new band it is cool to not like.

Maybe the subject matter of the songs is creative thing from what he has seen around him. Imagine

that eh, being creative in a band. I could write songs based on the amount of people that went to my school that are now dead for a number of reasons that would for some colourful prose.

I probably won't coz that isn't cool, it seems.

Noone's having a go at the band's credibility are they?

Some folk didn't enjoy the gig. Not much more to read into it than that I reckon.

In all fairness I doubt many people will have both Glasvegas albums and then buy a ticket for their gig just so they can attack them.

Personally I thought they were poor and gauging by the majority of the crowd it seemed the same.

The silence on sing alongs, the half hearted applause after songs, no chanting for an encoure.

I'm no hater and what I've said is certainly fair from what and the three others that I attended with witnessed.

The tunes on the first demo/E.P they did were fantastic - from my memory Daddy's Gone, Geraldine, Flowers and Football Tops, and It's My Own Cheating Heart... Those are all fucking excellent songs and has the poignant everyman lyrics that when done as well as they are in those songs really strike a chord, although I can see why they get up some people's noses.

The first album was a complete disappointment though. Apart from those songs the rest were truly terrible. I haven't heard a note from the new album, but I can't help thinking that they struck gold early on with a handful of classics and are unable to follow it up with anything worthwhile.